[Help] Strongly considering a Windows Phone.

Basiluzzo

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
what application do you plan to use for getting/sharing gps coordinates, mapping, etc?

the iPhone applications like gaia, motion x, motion x drive, and a few others are pretty mature. not sure if there is one similar for wp yet.

here maps (beta) is extremely limited in online mode even more so offline

That's an interesting comment - in what way is Here Maps extremely limited? I have used it a couple of times with no problems but haven't yet really put it through its paces.

Big Papa Smurf

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
I skimmed through the posts, but I didn't notice anyone mentioned the 930. Maybe I'm wrong, bit you can't get a fully functional 930on ATT? it lacks the LTE bands I thought. It may have been mentioned, and I've been wrong before

WPit

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
Hi there Threewulfmoon! I am afraid HERE doesn't have the specific function (long./ lat.), but check this please:

Mapsnap GPS | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States) .

Print Screen with a Lumia with WP 8.x is easy, just press simultaneously "power button" and "volume +".

Believe me, there are lots of people that jump in mostly because of the offline GPS feature these devices have.

Cheers from Brazil, Kentucky! It's nice chatting with someone so distant!

Last edited:

Wam1q

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Yup. You'll sure find some lat/long coordinates (offline) grabbing apps on the store. And yes, taking screenshots is very easy on WP.

Wam1q

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Let me explain how I use my phone and GPS on the job and perhaps you or one of the other commenters here can tell if Windows Phone has this capability. To preface this, I work as the emergency management director for a community of about 27,000 in eastern KY. Let's say I get called out to a commercial vehicle accident involving a product that has spilled on the roadway, necessitating a road closure. I would grab the lat/long with my phone and call the incident in to the state Emergency Operation Center because it is a road closure. Next, I might pull up Gaia GPS or Google Maps, drop a pin on the map, and take a screenshot to post on my agency's Facebook page describing the incident and information about the closure. Again, it's not exactly high power cartography, but I need these capabilities. I used Bing Maps on my tablet to help coordinate a ground search over the weekend. It worked great, except the screenshot feature in Windows 8.1 is a pain. I was trying to paste it over into OneNote so I could mark it up with my stylus and it took way too long for what I was trying to do.

Check out "GPS Calculator" for Windows Phone http://www.windowsphone.com/s?appid=4e06928a-de12-e011-9264-00237de2db9e
This app does exactly what you want. You don't need to worry about separate apps. This one fetches your coordinates and displays your position on a map. You can share your coordinates directly from the app through email along with the time and date.
780e92ac28f310bb9c8927f8dd47c2c4.jpg

(I've edited this photo on my phone, so please excuse the lame attempt.)

Last edited:

Wam1q

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
How do you do it? I'm a WP newbie.

A quick search for GPS coordinates on the store turned out a bunch of apps that could fetch the coordinates. Download whichever you like. :) Apart from that, screenshots depend on WP version. On WP8, the screenshot combo was power/lock + Start (like iOS). On WP8.1, the combo changed to power/lock + volume up (like Android). In fact, if you try the old (WP8) screenshot combo on WP8.1, this info box comes up:
7f6b3df99776ac6358a726904c8780ad.png

Last edited:

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
How about

1) HERE Drive+ app for Windows Phone 8.x? The best GPS for a phone! With its offline maps, the performance is just like the one of a dedicated GPS for your car, e.g. I have used it in three different countries without a hitch.

2) Iphones issues (read comments section): iOS 8 and iPhone 6 Maps: Here's What You Need to Know ? News ? Car and Driver | Car and Driver Blog

3) Android restrictions: 5 of the best offline GPS maps apps for Android

If you really need a good GPS, get HERE. If you need online (if you have coverage problems eventually, forget the service, you know that of course, just saying) nav., you have plenty of options in the store.

And, my top reasons for suggesting you the L930:

• windows ecosystem
  • beautiful design (830 is less bulky - much better look! Strong plus of the 830!)
  • hey cortana feature (with denim)
  • cost/ benefit

4) Next year will be big. With W10 phones, we will see competition rise. I'm sure. Your upgrade will be smooth by then.

(i'm using peronal experiences, instead of quoting articles, because they are normally incorrect, out of date, or omit very useful information like:)

1) HERE(wp) and HereMapsBeta(android)- is extremely limited. it's functionality is comparible to what a $50 standalone CAR gps device from a major electronics store can do. and then it ends. gpx tracks ? waypoints ? waypoint navigation (please understand navigation does NOT mean turn by turn or voice prompts!) ? gpx routing ? route editing ? waypoint editing ? HERE is fine for it's intended use which is: driving in a car from point a to point b. beyond that, it's very very limited.

2) if apple maps = gps mapping, we're definitely not talking about the same set of prerequisites to qualify an application as 'gps mapping'. look into motionx, motionxdrive, gaia, or the tons of really GOOD ios applications that will do pretty amazing things offline. apple maps does -not- qualify as a usable navigation application, in my book. too limited, too obtuse, and missing way too many functionalities.

3) another 'article' that skipped some of the most power applications on the market for gps mapping: locus pro, osmand+, backcountrynavigator, oruxmaps, GAIA, TrimbleSOftware, and a slew more that duplicate and overachieve what is normally found on a handheld gps. Turn by turn navigation is a very very minor bullet point of what a gps should do. these applications do so much more than -just- tbt. the feature sets available in android gps mapping applications make garmin blush and reach for the 'excuses' manual.

4) when a person is looking for device/ecosystem advice today, I won't try to sell him/her on what MIGHT be, tomorrow.

That very question has been in the back of my mind. I am so worried that if I go to Windows Phone, I might not have access to the apps--or even good replacements--to do the things I need. Since the iPhone has such a market share, there are many specialty public safety apps available that I might not have access to on Windows Phone. On my iPhone I use a free app called GPS info to get my lat/longs, and the full versions of Gaia GPS and/or Offline Topo Maps for rough mapping on the go. Are there similar programs available on Windows Phone? I also use some specialty apps like WISER (a hazardous materials app). I need to check that the Windows Phone has the tools I need available before I lock myself into using one. If it doesn't do what I need it to do, it could be a costly mistake.

I know this is a first world problem, so please indulge me. The more I think about Microsoft and the ecosystem they've created and just the way they shoot themselves in the foot all of the time, the less I want a Windows Phone. It's the little things that annoy me. For example, I have Windows 8.1 tablet--an Asus Vivotab 11.6. It has GPS built in. The problem is that only Metro apps can access it. I have some legacy mapping apps that support GPS, but can't use the built in module. It's something to do with the way the sensor modules are handled in Windows 8. It's small misteps like these that frustrate me.

I know Windows Phone has come along way in a relatively short time, but with the resources that Microsoft has at its disposal, it could and should be better. Unless Microsoft can turn out solid phones and get more people to switch, building a user base sufficient to entice 3rd party developers to support the platform, they are doomed. 1st part support can only take you so far. As former Microsoft CEO Steve Balmer infamously said "Developers, developers, developers, developers!"

yes, this is why I wondered what app you planned to use if/when you move to the wp platform. the app store you're accustomed to with apple HAS an app for that, whatever that is. the wp store MIGHT have an app for that once-the-w10-update-is-completed-and-the-devs-reboot-and-its-third-quarter-2015-and-thebugs-are-ironed-out... but you likely want something that works TODAY given your line of work. for this, i would suggest buying a second hand wp device and experimenting with what is available on the wp market to replace your ios applications. it would be very unwise to walk into a hazmat situation with a blank piece of paper for reference.

Personally, I would say your needs are solved by the Xperia line, especially the Z2, Z3 or Z3 compact (especially the Z3 compact since you said you disliked big phones).

However, I myself came back to WP after a long time in Android (using the Xperia Z2 myself), and the new features just blew me away, especially Cortana.

And to answer your question, 830 it is. 1520 sure is nice but I think for your job, smaller is better is it not? Plus the 830 is one good smart phone, can't go wrong with it.

+1 whatever you get, I would suggest a 4" display so it's still pocketable, but mapping/documents won't make you squint. also, WATERPROOF is a HUGE BENEFIT, when you're on site. rugged + waterproof = a really nice no-worries device

WPit,

Does Here Drive+ let you see the lat and long of a point? And does WP let you take a screenshot easily? I work as an emergency management director for a community of about 27,000 in eastern Kentucky. Here's a little usage case study of how I use my phone and GPS. Let's say I get called out to a commercial vehicle accident where the vehicle is leaking product onto the road, necessitating a closure. With my iPhone, I grab a lat/long of the site so I can report the closure to the state emergency operation center. I also pull up Google Maps and drop a pin in the area of the closure and take a screenshot. I post this to my agency's Facebook page with the closure information. It's not high tech, but it helps me get the info out there quickly. Is this something WP can do?

you reallllly need to get a second hand device and experiment with it. i think the limitations will become clear fairly quickly. ping the forums though for recommendations of apps and workarounds.

That's an interesting comment - in what way is Here Maps extremely limited? I have used it a couple of times with no problems but haven't yet really put it through its paces.

above i outlined some things. i'll bullet point them now:
waypoints, waypoint navigation
route building, route transfers (sharing gpx), TRACKS (different from routes!(shareing/editing/building)
gps info (whereami, what vector to waypoint, can I share this waypoint via bluetooth, wifidirect, email, facebook, sms, etc)
gps aquisition ----- OFFLINE satellite aquisition, is the agps robust enough to handle being out of cellular range ?
so much more than just a turn-by-turn voice prompt.

Hi there Threewulfmoon! I am afraid HERE doesn't have the specific function (long./ lat.), but check this please:

Mapsnap GPS | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States) .

Print Screen with a Lumia with WP 8.x is easy, just press simultaneously "power button" and "volume +".

Believe me, there are lots of people that jump in mostly because of the offline GPS feature these devices have.

Cheers from Brazil, Kentucky! It's nice chatting with someone so distant!

very good information, thanks for that ! :D

BSobotta

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I think the Lumia 830 is sexy. Would love to get the green one.

The screen on the 1520 is amazing. I would love the big size for Xbox gaming.

You can't go wrong with any of those phones, though I'd probably get the 830. Once you get used to Qi charging, you can't go back.

By the way, I switched from Android and love it. I'll never go back.
Bought the 1520. Kings regretting it on the size. Really regret it based on the screen touch issue.

WPit

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
Hi there, Ohgood!

(i'm using peronal experiences, instead of quoting articles, because they are normally incorrect, out of date, or omit very useful information like:) ---> that's why I mentioned "read comments section", where different oppinions are stated, based on personal experiences as well ; ).

1) Yes, HERE Drive+ is like a standalone car GPS device and a very good one (exclusive for WP -> here.com/download/). It looks it's limited for your needs, sure, and op's as well, ok, that's the reason of my second post as you read above.

2) Apple has been in trouble when the subject is it's maps. There are talks about this everywhere (I picked a recent article on this above). However, if you say we can't generalize, ok, then I agree with you.

3) Yes, I agree. But regardless turn by turn being a small part of the hole packet GPS offers, it's a BIG function in the universe of usability.

4) You got me on this one. But Windows already is the OS of PCs. So, to infer that wasn't a sacrilege! I gave him also present based reasons, regarding the 930 : ) . AND W10 for phones is official!

threewulfmoon

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
I'm sorry I've been absent the past couple days. Been busy at work and then had a big Thanksgiving feast with my family. Also wanted to let you all know that I ran across a good deal on a 1520 on eBay, so I picked it up. I've got my iPhone sold for $200 and I didn't give much more for the 1520 so if I don't like it, I'll throw it on eBay and go back to the old drawing board. I also picked up a couple of the $39 635 for my mother and bro in law.

I truly appreciate your input. My decision basically came down to a good deal and a moment of weakness...lol.

Alex2020T

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
I'd advise you to wait until next year. I want a new flagship phone, but I want it to be Microsoft branded. I'm confident the build quality will be equal to the Nokia phones, but it won't be 'dated' like the Nokias.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes