B&H sent back bad phone instead of swapping, then denied it

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I returned my original asking for an exchange due to the phone rebooting itself every day. Everything in its original condition, packaging, etc. The exchange was accepted and processed right away and the receipt shows the phone marked as "SWAPPED." They simply just sent me back the exact same phone I sent back to them. I can tell because it has the same IMEI number.

Suffice it to say this is bad business, especially as someone who's been a customer of theirs in the past. I'm tempted to just return the phone outright now for a full refund and purchase it some place else... Ebay, etc.

Last edited:

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Re: B&H Photo Video tried passing off exchanged device as new

That's right. I returned my original asking for an exchange due to the phone rebooting itself every day. Everything in its original condition, packaging, etc. The exchange was accepted and processed right away and the receipt shows the phone marked as "SWAPPED." What do they do? They simply just sent me back the exact same phone I sent back to them. I can tell because it has the same IMEI number.

Suffice it to say this is bad business and pisses me off, especially as someone who's been a customer of theirs in the past. I'm tempted to just return the phone outright now for a full refund and purchase it some place else... Ebay, etc.

B&H has long been among the most reputable names in the camera business, has expanded as a reputable retailer in other electronics, and you are considering switching from them to eBay? That is the equivalent of saying someone made a mistake in a repair on a Lexus or BMW so you are going to find the nearest used car lot to buy a Hyundai or Yugo. You do understand mistakes actually do happen? Instead of complaining here, perhaps you might consider contacting the store and filing a complaint about the problem. It would probably be solved in short order.

BTW, if you are reading the number off a box, keep in mind some retailers only give you a replacement device but not its box. Walk into a Microsoft Store with a defective Surface, and they will bring a new one up front, and hand you only the device (sans box). I am not suggesting that is the case here and the actual circumstances really do not matter. Assuming someone intentionally sent you back your own defective device in a swap strains the bounds of reason. It is far more likely to be a mistake. They really do happen....

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

eBay has plenty of reputable sellers, including B&H. Plenty of honest sellers on eBay who legitimately care about their reputation. Your comparison is invalid

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site

Update: The customer service rep seemed rather unsurprised. I don't know if that's an indication of how often "swapped" products are really just the same ones sent back. They even slapped on Nokia branded tape to make the opened box appear sealed.

I don't know if this is a regular practice or not, but they agreed to swap it out again without hassle (besides the hassle of returning it again).

Anyhow, thought I'd share my experience. I'll keep you updated.

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Update: The customer service rep seemed rather unsurprised. I don't know if that's an indication of how often "swapped" products are really just the same ones sent back. They even slapped on Nokia branded tape to make the opened box appear sealed.

I don't know if this is a regular practice or not, but they agreed to swap it out again without hassle (besides the hassle of returning it again).

Anyhow, thought I'd share my experience. I'll keep you updated.

That is too bad, what a scam :/
Hopefully they make things right

bandhphoto

Dec 3, 2014
Visit site

I am very surprised to read this entirely uncharacteristic anecdote and would be happy to look into it further. Unfortunately from the information posted here I cannot ID the OP or this transaction. My email address is henryp[at]bhphoto[dot]com

Henry Posner
B&H Photo-Video

Lumia Jack

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site

It's unfortunate you had this problem with them, but I've done a lot of online and in-person business with B&H and can vouch that they're a top notch retailer.

I personally wouldn't hesitate to ever order anything from B&H. I've ordered a few laptops as well as expensive camera gear from them without any issues. Over the years, I've only ever had to make a few returns due to manufacturing defects, and each time it was handled quickly and properly.

I think it would be a mistake to write off a good retailer like B&H over a single poor transaction. They're one of the most reputable businesses for photography equipment in the world for a reason.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site

I am very surprised to read this entirely uncharacteristic anecdote and would be happy to look into it further. Unfortunately from the information posted here I cannot ID the OP or this transaction. My email address is henryp[at]bhphoto[dot]com

Henry Posner
B&H Photo-Video

I appreciate you reaching out about this. I just sent you an email with my original order number and both RMA numbers. You will notice the same IMEI number on the receipt for the original purchase as well as the one it was supposed to be swapped for. It's also on the box, which I had happened to take note of when I made the original purchase.

The new Nokia tape (seal) applied to the box is what led me to believe it was intentional. I hope that wasn't the case. I have purchased three smartphones from B&H (none of which I had to return/exchange) in the past and trust that this was a one-off incident. I do not plan on letting it stop me from being a B&H customer in the future.

Thanks again for reaching out.

bandhphoto

Dec 3, 2014
Visit site

I received your email and checked your transaction history. In my reply email to you I document that each of the three phones we sent had a unique and different serial number.

Henry Posner
B&H Photo-Video

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site

Hi Henry,

I responded to your email, indicating that you listed incorrect information. You didn't send a third phone yet. The second swap hasn't even arrived at B&H yet and won't until Friday according to UPS, though perhaps you process the new swap ahead of time, so I can't speak on the third serial number.

So as not to list the full serial (IMEI) numbers in public, you indicated in the email that the first phone had an IMEI number ending in "9214" and the second had one ending in "5016."

I never received a Lumia 830 with the first serial number listed, only the second, which was sent to me twice. Here is the receipt of the original purchase made November 4, which shows that the serial number of the first phone you sent matches the serial number of the second one you listed and sent (ending in "5016").

bh.png

*EDIT: It turns out the first serial number you listed in your email was for a totally different phone/purchase - a Lumia 1520 I bought from you way back in April. There was never an exchange or return issued for that purchase.

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site

I think you should amend this B&H Photo Video tried passing off exchanged device as new that's inflammatory rhetoric IMO and a knee jerk reaction.
Especially when you NOW say:
"and trust that this was a one-off incident. I do not plan on letting it stop me from being a B&H customer in the future"

amend: make minor changes in (a text or letter etc) in order to make it fairer, more accurate, or more up-to-date.

I've been purchasing from B+H since 1974 or '75 and they wouldn't knowingly do anything to sully their reputation or their customer's faith in them.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Sure, I'll edit it for accuracy. Now I'm basically being told I wasn't even sent the same phone back despite clear documentation (including back and forth emails in which I was told "the fact is" I was sent different phones).

It's funny how instead of an apology or even just an acknowledgement, I was basically being called a liar after trying to be polite and understanding in my response to Henry.

Once again, I'll trust that this too was just a mistake... citing the purchase of a totally different item back in April for which there was never a return or exchange.

I'll be happy to amend the topic again once this is resolved, but it's odd that you're asking me to do that while I'm being presented with information that isn't "fair" or "accurate."

Last edited:

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
You reply is full of holes, where is he calling you a liar ?...You basically called them corrupt, unethical - an apology for what, a mistake not yet resolved ? Actions speak louder than your words which mean 0 at this point -so what you ARE saying is 'until this is resolved I'm sticking by my "story" that they TRIED (as that was their intent) to screw you over and NOW it's
B&H sent back bad phone instead of swapping, then denied it If you can't see where things happen in a company that sends hundreds of items out every day then...in the meantime you're just happy to sully them then issue a retraction when it's resolved ? Either you believe that they INTENDED to cheat you or you don't. You're digging yourself into a hole, you can't have it both ways. Who's to say that you didn't screw up? only you. Good luck.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
You reply is full of holes, where is he calling you a liar ?...You basically called them corrupt, unethical - an apology for what, a mistake not yet resolved ? Actions speak louder than your words which mean 0 at this point -so what you ARE saying 'until this is resolved I'm sticking by my "story" they TRIED (as it that was their intent) to screw you over and NOW it's
B&H sent back bad phone instead of swapping, then denied it If you can't see where things happen in a company that sends hundreds items out every day then...you're just happy to sully them then issue a retraction when it's resolved ? Either you think that they INTENDED to cheat you or you don't. You can't have it both ways.

Are you kidding me? What about my response is "full of holes"? I never called anyone "corrupt" or "unethical." Don't put words in my mouth. And forget an apology, I didn't even ask for one. Instead of so much as an acknowledgement of the mistake, instead I'm being told that what I'm saying isn't true and that I was sent different phones. And was told this repeatedly over email (not just once on here). Excuse me for interpreting that for what it is... being told I wasn't telling the truth. Come to find out it was another mistake on B&H's part, showing me the receipt of a totally different purchase in April.

Who said I plan to retract anything? I said I'd amend the thread. Totally different. It says exactly what the incident is to this point. And yes, I initially thought it was intentional. I then decided to chalk it up to a mistake (I'm allowed to change my mind and give someone the benefit of the doubt... I'm sure you've done it a time or two if you were around to purchase from B&H in the 70s), but after being insisted to that I was sent different phones when I wasn't (as the above clearly shows despite your declaration of "holes") I'm not as sure.

My intention was to bring attention to the incident so that others here don't go through the same thing. There are much more effective ways of "sullying" somebody's reputation if that was one's intention... social media being the obvious one.

Your contribution to this is unfair, counter-productive and only escalating things... attacking the party who was right (and then wrongly told they weren't telling the truth by the party you're defending) because of your emotional brand loyalty.

Last edited:

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
You're making these claims on several threads with no proof of deliberate intent to harm you.
That could be construed as "intent" in order to sully someone's reputation, posting the same knee jerk response several places imho
There are much more effective ways of "sullying" somebody's reputation if that was one's intention... social media being the obvious one.
By definition this is a blog and blogs don't have to have proof, they can just say something and leave it at that and then let the reader come to their own conclusion. Posting a thread is social media in it's results and "can be" a vehicle to spread innuendo especially if you post the same sort of thing before > You made the same reckless claim here. http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-830/323954-[l830]-auto-restart.html#post2880065I That could imply that you're conspiring to sully their reputations by your multiple posts, but that would be irresponsible to claim that WITHOUT knowing your intent. Good Luck.

nallWhite

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
At those prices, better off returning and buying on eBay. ATT will sell you the same phone at the same price and throw in a fit bit. $369 on eBay with squaretrade warranty is still cheaper.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans