I gave in....

ShaneRay

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
A little excited, so pardon this pointless post. ;)

I gave in today and picked up an 830 from Fido (I'm in Canada) and so far so good! I'm just getting things set up, so no comments on performance etc right now, but I will say it's a bit of a shock coming from my 520...a good kinda shock, though. :)

Oh...they even thew in a free DT-900 charging plate. So, that's pretty cool. I'm pretty sure I'm going to be more than happy with this phone.

And...I blame all of you, and this site, for this purchase. That's what I told the wife, anyway. ;)

someone2639

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
Yay! Unfortunately, I'm in it for the camera. And, the camera isn't good enough for my (read: MY) needs. I can wait, though.

ShaneRay

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Yay! Unfortunately, I'm in it for the camera. And, the camera isn't good enough for my (read: MY) needs. I can wait, though.

I haven't tested the camera yet, but I'm sure it will more than adequate for my needs. I have my DSLR for anything serious, so any phone camera that is decent, or even below average, is good enough for me.

Basiluzzo

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
I haven't tested the camera yet, but I'm sure it will more than adequate for my needs. I have my DSLR for anything serious, so any phone camera that is decent, or even below average, is good enough for me.

Same here - the camera is better than my iPhone 5, and will be better still once they release the v5 software. I have a DSLR when I need it and a really good Nikon point and shoot, but I do like taking phone photos for the convenience. I love my Lumia 830, I bought it on the day they were released in the US so have had it for almost a month now. Other than the problem with the search button that you'll see mentioned in other chats, no complaints at all.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I have a 1520 and my lad a 930 and I just bought my wife an 830 to replace her 520, and to be honest I was more shocked at how good the 830 was compared to the 1520 and 930, OK they are the top Lumia's but I can now understand why they use the "Budget Flagship" description.

Nicholas Maguire

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Congratulations :) I'm still deciding between the Lumia 830, trying to find a good refurbished (or better yet, new) Lumia Icon, or the One M8 for Windows. It's sooo hard. Maybe I'll just wait for Windows 10, but who knows? I'd like to know about your experiences with the 830 once you have had enough time.

Vickg818

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Congratulations :) I'm still deciding between the Lumia 830, trying to find a good refurbished (or better yet, new) Lumia Icon, or the One M8 for Windows. It's sooo hard. Maybe I'll just wait for Windows 10, but who knows? I'd like to know about your experiences with the 830 once you have had enough time.

Little brother loves his 830<3
I am jealous of the hardware and the camera isn too bad...compared to my 1520, it is not THAT far off imo.
If I see him I can post some images :)

the Icon of course is a good device as well but you definitely wont be disappointed by the 830 :)

ShaneRay

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Well, almost 24 hours later and everything is great. So, initial impressions (keep in mind, the ONLY phone I can compare it to is the 520. I've not owned any other phone):

1) Performance: Perfect. The phone is snappy and I've yet to see any form of lag. Yes, the odd "resuming" happens, but it's gone in a flash. I'm not a gamer, but I've loaded up some casual titles like Angry Birds and everything is smooth. A huge step beyond the 520.

2) Camera: So far, I've tried it in a few situations that I've used my 520 with and I'm impressed. More than enough performance to keep my happy.

3) Screen: This was an initial disappointment for me. After trying the defaults (Standard, Vivid, Cool), I found the colours to be off and text, in SOME situations to be dull. After messing around with the advanced settings, things are much better. I still have tweaking to do. And I should mention the brightness: at defaults the screen was way too bright for my taste (set to low and automatic). I had to go into advanced and crank it all the way down. I still find it too bright in some cases, but OK. The 5 inches of real estate, though, is just perfect. I have big hands, so one handed use is still comfortable.

4) Ergonomics (term used loosely): The phone is thin and light. While heavier, according to specs, than my 520 it feels lighter. However, I feel like I'm going to drop it as the back is not very grippy. But, I always feel this way with a new device, so I'll give it time as I hate cases.

The hardware buttons (Power, volume, camera) are a little too unobtrusive with less "feedback" than I'd like. Again, though, that's something time will take care of.

I absolutely HATE that the usb port is on top. Really. It's horrible.

That's about it for now. Can't comment on the battery yet. Bottom line, even with the few expected complaints as nothing is perfect, this is a great phone.

Basiluzzo

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
Well, almost 24 hours later and everything is great. So, initial impressions (keep in mind, the ONLY phone I can compare it to is the 520. I've not owned any other phone):

1) Performance: Perfect. The phone is snappy and I've yet to see any form of lag. Yes, the odd "resuming" happens, but it's gone in a flash. I'm not a gamer, but I've loaded up some casual titles like Angry Birds and everything is smooth. A huge step beyond the 520.

2) Camera: So far, I've tried it in a few situations that I've used my 520 with and I'm impressed. More than enough performance to keep my happy.

3) Screen: This was an initial disappointment for me. After trying the defaults (Standard, Vivid, Cool), I found the colours to be off and text, in SOME situations to be dull. After messing around with the advanced settings, things are much better. I still have tweaking to do. And I should mention the brightness: at defaults the screen was way too bright for my taste (set to low and automatic). I had to go into advanced and crank it all the way down. I still find it too bright in some cases, but OK. The 5 inches of real estate, though, is just perfect. I have big hands, so one handed use is still comfortable.

4) Ergonomics (term used loosely): The phone is thin and light. While heavier, according to specs, than my 520 it feels lighter. However, I feel like I'm going to drop it as the back is not very grippy. But, I always feel this way with a new device, so I'll give it time as I hate cases.

The hardware buttons (Power, volume, camera) are a little too unobtrusive with less "feedback" than I'd like. Again, though, that's something time will take care of.

I absolutely HATE that the usb port is on top. Really. It's horrible.

That's about it for now. Can't comment on the battery yet. Bottom line, even with the few expected complaints as nothing is perfect, this is a great phone.

I like that the USB is on top because when I plug it in in the car, I can still prop it up so I can see it - the wire doesn't interfere with the bottom of the phone being level. For charging I'm using $15 Qi Powerbot 1020 wireless chargers, which work great. If I can find one that doesn't cost $100+, I'll get a wireless charger for the car. So then the only time I'll use the USB is to synch music with my PC, which I don't do often.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
The 830 does get some random reboots, way more than my previous 920 and 925 did. It also slowed down a lot when running on the Latin America firmware on it. After flashing it to the Rogers 830 firmware, things have turned out to be really good. The slowness has gone, screen is now more responsive (still not as compared to the 92x). One thing I noticed it loading apps to the microSD card slows the 830 down, I would say keep most of your core apps installed on your phone, everything else can go the microSD. Outside of the washed out screen colors, this phone is a nice upgrade to your 520

ShinraCorp

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
Congrats Shane on your purchase of the 830! Which part of Canada are you in? I'm in the Ottawa region we can go meet up somewhere :p I'll bring my ancient 920 with me haha. But yeah if you need any help setting it up just ask us.

thron

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
ShaneRay, did you buy your 830 from the Fido website or from a store?

I too, am upgrading from a 520 and I ordered one from Fido! Just waiting for it to ship...

AlexOwliver

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
. . .so did I. My 920 melted the other day and I can't deal with this 635 :) looking forward to getting an 830 in the mail in the next few days! Glad to see you're liking yours so far and (especially) that the camera is pretty comparable with the 920. That thing was a superhero.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I've used mine for two months, heavily, multiple hours a day. Have not had a single reboot. Rock solid so far.
Yeah but I have seen quite a few folks complain about it in the bugs and defects thread. Either way glad to know that your phone is working great.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos