Does an unlocked 830 work with Verizon?

Silent Night

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't be asking this is Verizon weren't a ****ty company. I have a Lumia 822 on Verizon (my contract is up in February). I loved my 822 until I signed up for the Preview For Developers and basically it is slowly destroying my phone. It seems like every month or so I will lose a feature that worked before. So far I have lost both cameras, GPS, and now vibration. I've been told that the Cyan update fixes all of these issues. I have been waiting 6 months for Verizon to push out the Cyan update (6 months without a camera). I've never bought an unlocked phone before so I have no idea. If I bought a Lumia 830 unlocked would it work on Verizon's network?
Verizon has very limited Windows Phone selection: Lumia 928, HTC One M8, Samsung ATIV SE
I want a 830 for expandable storage (I hold all of my Xbox Music Pass songs on a 64gb microSD). It seems to be the highest end windows phone with expandable storage that isn't unnecessarily large.

Another question
If the unlocked version does work with Verizon and I get it, how will firmware updates work? Will I get updates from AT&T (I think the phone is meant for AT&T)? Will I need a AT&T sim to get the updates? Do I get them from Verizon? Do I not get them at all? I'd like some clarification. Thanks!

Fred Wilson2

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
Won't work, Verizon doesn't allow non-Verizon phones on their network.
Besides they are also CDMA and GSM. In theory GSM would work, but you would not be able to get onto their network

Fred

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I also suspect the devices just downright breaking, and I highly doubt the official Cyan firmware would be the magic bullet for all your phones woes.

Ironically, some have envied VZW because they had the most high end Windows phones of this generation.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos