Lumia 820 --> Lumia 830 - Scrolling lag etc.

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
What do you mean?

Providing vanilla OS updates will not remedy the issue. This is a driver issue that should be addressed in Lumia E* firmware

Cool example: Lumia 925 shipped with Lumia Amber that has post processing issues on the rear camera. Would think that this would get fixed in Black, sure as hell didn't ... Still not fixed, even on Cyan

David Van Ryn

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site
Small update,..

I started using the white background and noticed the lag i perceived before is a lot less.
Might be a placebo effect (cause i really really want it gone) but will give it a bit time and report back.

There's another thing i noticed (little off topic) is that sometimes when i place my phone on the wireless Nokia charger the notification sounds a little distorted. As if the phone (sound chip, whatever) has a hard time waking up all of a sudden and a slight hick-up is heard.
When i pick it up place it back, the sound is normal again. Maybe ill make a separate post about this. have to search the forum first ;-)

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Small update,..

I started using the white background and noticed the lag i perceived before is a lot less.
Might be a placebo effect (cause i really really want it gone) but will give it a bit time and report back.

There's another thing i noticed (little off topic) is that sometimes when i place my phone on the wireless Nokia charger the notification sounds a little distorted. As if the phone (sound chip, whatever) has a hard time waking up all of a sudden and a slight hick-up is heard.
When i pick it up place it back, the sound is normal again. Maybe ill make a separate post about this. have to search the forum first ;-)

820s screen has a smaller resolution and arguably better processing capabilities. I notice the 'lag' on my Lumia 925 when I am directly comparing it to the 822.

My Palm Pre 3 has that issue when putting it on the charging plate lol. Hopefully these quirks are addressed, 830 is a really slick phone

mj0

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
I've switched from an L635 to an L830 yesterday and have yet to notice any lag. Both devices feel exactly the same, no lag when scrolling down or up on the start screen, no lag when scrolling through drow-down lists. Everything seems buttery smooth.

David Van Ryn

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site
Another update, disabling double tap to launch, and restarting the phone seems to make a difference.
i really love this phone, the occasional lag really kills the experience, i like double tap to unlock so i hope in the future it will all work as intended.

I have good hopes the 830 will get some additional love, it's selling like hot cakes over here...

mj0

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
Interesting.... I didn't have to disable any of these things yet it's smooth as can be. Are you running the stock Windows Phone 8.1 Update 1 with Denim or are you running Preview for Developers?

David Van Ryn

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site
I installed the preview because i thought i would try to see if it would be any better.

Oh well, i will go to a store again and see if any of the models there have this problem, if they do, it might be the shipment they got here in Belgium, or the dutch version of the denim update. If they don't i'll point it out to the people of the store and see what they are willing to do about it.

compared to the 820 the scrolling is terrible, and it cannot be only my phone that does this, if it is, then it surely should be replaced!

mj0

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
You should definitely do something about it. I'll keep my eyes open and very attentive for every bit of lag I might encounter and let you know but like I said so far it's been a smooth ride.

Good luck :wink:

David Van Ryn

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site
Another small update,

Went to the store where i bought this phone, and played around with the other Lumia 830's on display. only to find that they 2 have this behavior.
That brings me back to an earlier conclusion that maybe that shipment has those problems, or the dutch ROM. I really cant tell.

Or otherwise all those Lumia 830 owners have eye's that cannot register any flaw's with they're particular phone ;-)

Me and my girlfriend have the Lumia 830, from the same store! Her's has the exact same problem, i convinced her to switch from android to WP because of the lack of lag, fluidnes etc.. and we have to deal with CONSTANT lagging.

It's not (as i already said) a major lag or the phone doesn't hang at all, its micro stutter always present, on the home screen, in the app list, in all app's, even the WCentral app (and on the 820 i never saw this micro-lag-stutter).
I cannot get this phone to scroll smoothly true anything, not facebook, not internet explorer, not anything! This cannot be a coincidence or just those phone's. my guess is that the euphoria from the new phone hasn't settled down yet and i hope more people will come to they're senses and complain about this.

I cannot get over the bull**** advertisement line for this phone (affordable flagship) it's not affordable in the first place, its a 400€ phone lol, and its certainly not a flagship!

The other thing that worries me is that other people with Lumia phone's have issues and they never got addressed, in stead i read how many people are going back from a better Lumia to an earlier model or lower spec'd model to get away from the quirky bug's and hardware issues.

Microsoft get your **** together please, i love this platform and i always defended it. But this is getting harder every year, the gap is widening and it needs to be fixed!

I will try to make a video in the coming weeks to show what i am experiencing.

Tellus82

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
My RM 984 EU version lagged badly on scrolling when i used DP, i rolled back to stock software and scroll lag vanished, went back to DP again and scroll lag came back. I'm terrified that this scroll lag goes unnoticed and will be pushed out to OTA.

As I have said before, the scroll lag behaves like a lowering of fps, almost as if it's been capped at 30 or even 20 for animations. And best way to describe it is not "lag" it's stuttering.

Gaming Life

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
Guys, did denim update fix the scrolling issue? I have always noticed it but now it is also persistent on the start screen meaning that sometimes it would stutter when scrolling (Mostly upwards towards the top). I have noticed more after I reverted back for WP10 as it had the same start screen stutter but way worse. However, I have made it better by opening at least once, all the apps I have installed. Just go into the app list and click on each app one by one. Then pin it to the start screen. It makes the stutter a whole lot less. I have the RM 985 NAM so I don't have the "real" denim update. If one of you does, can you please report back and tell me if the issue has been resolved.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Guys, did denim update fix the scrolling issue? I have always noticed it but now it is also persistent on the start screen meaning that sometimes it would stutter when scrolling (Mostly upwards towards the top). I have noticed more after I reverted back for WP10 as it had the same start screen stutter but way worse. However, I have made it better by opening at least once, all the apps I have installed. Just go into the app list and click on each app one by one. Then pin it to the start screen. It makes the stutter a whole lot less. I have the RM 985 NAM so I don't have the "real" denim update. If one of you does, can you please report back and tell me if the issue has been resolved.

Is yours from the Microsoft Store? Either way, as someone with an RM-985, NAM ROM as well... does your phone freeze and reboot on its own?

Gaming Life

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
I think I have found a solution. Don't know if it will work for you but it certainly made it 95% better on my end. Make sure all apps are updated before doing this.

First, go to settings and click on date+time. Toggle automatic date+time to off and manually change the year to anything after 2148. After, try to open battery saver. It will not open and tell you to uninstall it or buy it. Press uninstall. Don't worry nothing will happen or change. Do it again. Nothing would happen again. Then change back the year to 2015 and make sure the date+time is right. DO NOT change it to automatic data+time. After, open the app Transfer my Data and agree to everything. Uninstall the app. Next open all app one by one on the start screen you have pinned. This will make sure no app is in the background trying to sync the live tile. Do that with the Games app, Music app and Video app and all others. Let it completely load (LOOK AT THE DOTS AT THE TOP IF IT IS LOADING). After, just press the power button. Press it again and go to start screen. Switch off the phone completely and switch it back on (DO NOT Soft Reset). Then enable kids corner. Power off and power on. Switch off completely and switch it on. Then give it about 30 seconds on the start screen and then start scrolling. It will be much better. Don't know if it will work for you.

erlil

Mar 7, 2015
Visit site
Hey there...I have the lumia 830 and its true that about two weeks after I bought it I started noticing that it lagged. Nothing too bad..but when you consider the fact that it's such a new and expensive phone...why should it happen? I was told that having a windows phone is a great experience because it never lags...In this case I'm sure that the phone isn't powerful enough to handle it's big screen which the lumia 930 handles with double the processor and RAM.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers