Why I cancelled my OnePlus One order

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I've been waiting for a new Lumia for quite awhile now. Yesterday OnePlus opened orders for anyone, and their 64GB model is $350 USD.
Have been thinking about an 830 as a buffer device, but this phone demands attention!

Specs shortlist
- 5.5" 1080p
- Snapdragon 805 SoC
- 3GB RAM
- 5MP/13MP cameras
- CyanogenMod as stock!

Couldn't help but laugh when I compared the 'Affordable Flagship' to the 'Flagship Killer'. Saving over $100, and the phone is undoubtly superior to the Lumia 830.

Might regret it down the road, but I ended up cancelling the order despite any news from Microsoft concerning a new high model. The OnePlus has a couple of common issues (completely fixable), however I would be forced to migrate to Android. Not exactly a con, but my anticipation for Windows 10 and Lumia is what is keeping me on this platform.

I hope Microsoft has a game changer planned, because devices like the OnePlus make biting the Android bullet really, really easy ;)

ShaneRay

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Ya know...I realize everyone has their own reasons for choosing a phone. And, I won't argue with any of them as they're all valid. Every single one.

That said, for me, it comes down to the platform I enjoy most. In this case, Windows Phone. I made a conscious decision to move away from Google a couple years ago, and I've never been an Apple guy.

Long story short, I'd rather use my Lumia 520 (now have an 830) than any offerings from Android or Apple....regardless of the hardware.

Anywho...choice is good and keeps things interesting. :)

Harry Wild

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
If you read their User forum; there are a lot of complaints on the One. That what scare me and I cancel the order. I don't want to get a phone that I wait 2 months or longer to get replaced. Plus, their Cyan??? OS is going to an India phone manufacturer and they are force to switch to WebOS for Android 5.0 too!

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
And next year it'll probably have 4GB of RAM, but is stuffing more hardware in really anything special?

Isn't hardware decide the price, performance and features of device?

So yeah it is most important

Anyways my friend have this device and he hasn't face any issues.
It's a solid device in every way

Darthbobcat

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
Its like how not every laptop with 8GB of RAM and an i7 chip are equal. Some manufacturers (cough Acer cough) use cheap components to be more affordable.

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
Not really. If the phone is pretty much as smooth and fast, does it really matter if it has 3GB or 4GB?
I don't know much
but more RAM means better multi tasking and less resuming and loading.

As a former owner of device which have 512MB RAM I do know the pain of having less RAM.
Slow sluggish performance
Lack of apps /games

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Not really. If the phone is pretty much as smooth and fast, does it really matter if it has 3GB or 4GB?

Its like how not every laptop with 8GB of RAM and an i7 chip are equal. Some manufacturers (cough Acer cough) use cheap components to be more affordable.

OnePlus One sports top notch hardware. Display is measured to be more accurate than the 1520, and even has a larger gamut. Only second to iPhone 6 plus in this regard. Has an exceptional Audio DAC, on benchmarking shortlists, etc. Has great camera sensors (Sony), but the software processing is lacking still. 3GB RAM is excellent for power users, not that is is really required for regular usage.

Overall, it is a killer phone, with a killer design. At this price point I do not even know how I can justify purchasing a 1520.3, let alone the 830 lol.
Have used it in person, it is a really smooth experience, even on an unoffcial/experimental lollipop build!

EDIT: ART on Lollipop really makes the extra RAM eyecandy really. I wish I had 3GB of RAM when I had the N73

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
And next year it'll probably have 4GB of RAM, but is stuffing more hardware in really anything special?

It sports top notch hardware and comes cheaper than our "Affordable Flagship". Not to mention it is unlocked, and has US and International LTE!
It's really hard to justify a Lumia purchase, even if it is running Android. Not my preferred OS, but it is a better experience for less

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I don't know much
but more RAM means better multi tasking and less resuming and loading.

As a former owner of device which have 512MB RAM I do know the pain of having less RAM.
Slow sluggish performance
Lack of apps /games

I think there's a much bigger difference between 512MB and 1GB than there will be at 3GB to 4GB. There may be some slight improvement, but at that point it would seem to me that you're at the law of diminishing returns.

I don't see there being anything allowed with 4GB that can't be done with 3GB, really.

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
I think there's a much bigger difference between 512MB and 1GB than there will be at 3GB to 4GB. There may be some slight improvement, but at that point it would seem to me that you're at the law of diminishing returns.

I don't see there being anything allowed with 4GB that can't be done with 3GB, really.

Actually their was a time when even 128MB RAM was more than enough and now 2GB is standard.(look at most of flagships)

As specs grows so does games and apps. When 4GB devices will comes so does app/games and features.
Or are you trying to suggesting that their is no need for further inovation or improvement.

Look at WP7 and now look at wp8.1.(specs requirement)

Who know what features are coming on next gen OS?

May be some time in future instead of what you are saying about 512MB and 1GB RAM you will be saying same thing about 3GB RAM and 4GB RAM.

Right now their are no devices with 4GB RAM. Or is it?
So, comparing current software with future hardware is wrong in my opinion.

BSobotta

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Ya know...I realize everyone has their own reasons for choosing a phone. And, I won't argue with any of them as they're all valid. Every single one.

That said, for me, it comes down to the platform I enjoy most. In this case, Windows Phone. I made a conscious decision to move away from Google a couple years ago, and I've never been an Apple guy.

Long story short, I'd rather use my Lumia 520 (now have an 830) than any offerings from Android or Apple....regardless of the hardware.

Anywho...choice is good and keeps things interesting. :)

This. This. This.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Actually their was a time when even 128MB RAM was more than enough and now 2GB is standard.(look at most of flagships)

So the 512MB phone you were talking about earlier was a flagship? Because it sounds like you're saying that phones need 4GB RAM because your presumably cheap phone didn't? Or something. It really doesn't make much sense what you're trying to prove.

As specs grows so does games and apps. When 4GB devices will comes so does app/games and features.

Not when the vast majority of devices are on lower end hardware compared to that. Developers would be dumb to make a 4GB only device.

The majority of Android devices are lower and midrange handsets.

Or are you trying to suggesting that their is no need for further inovation or improvement.

*looks over previous post*

Nope. Doesn't appear like I even implied it in any way shape or form. Must've been fabricated.

May be some time in future instead of what you are saying about 512MB and 1GB RAM you will be saying same thing about 3GB RAM and 4GB RAM.

Maybe like 5 years down the road, but not for the OnePlus Two. Currently, its adding hardware for the sake of hardware. I mean, my grandmother doesn't need much power to browse facebook, but I should upgrade her to 32GB RAM. I WOULDN'T WANT TO SLOW DOWN INNOVATION AFTER ALL

Right now their are no devices with 4GB RAM. Or is it?
So, comparing current software with future hardware is wrong in my opinion.

Then what was the point of your initial comment then??? Just to brag about the OnePlus One? Theefman said that they shouldn't just up the RAM to 4GB for the sake of doing it because it wasn't that important and you come in and go "actually, its very important". You're not making any sense.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
For me personally, the thing could have 10GB RAM and a Snapdragon 9000 and it'll still be running the same ancient-looking OS with the same boring, outdated UI, the same yawn-inducing hardware design and the same sub-par build-quality. If all one cares about is specs, the OnePlus One is an option. With Windows Phone, I'm buying an experience... a modern OS/UI that's fluid, buttery smooth and efficient; hardware I love to use and look at; hardware that turns head and inspires compliments; sturdy build quality; a terrific camera with true OIS; the almost exclusive convenience of Glance, etc.

Just about every smartphone on any platform does the job... but show me someone that drools over specs and, more often than not, I'll show you someone with an ugly, boring device, mediocre battery life, and computing power that can't even be utilized.

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Maybe like 5 years down the road, but not for the OnePlus Two. Currently, its adding hardware for the sake of hardware. I mean, my grandmother doesn't need much power to browse facebook, but I should upgrade her to 32GB RAM. I WOULDN'T WANT TO SLOW DOWN INNOVATION AFTER ALL

Then what was the point of your initial comment then??? Just to brag about the OnePlus One? Theefman said that they shouldn't just up the RAM to 4GB for the sake of doing it because it wasn't that important and you come in and go "actually, its very important". You're not making any sense.

For me personally, the thing could have 10GB RAM and a Snapdragon 9000 and it'll still be running the same ancient-looking OS with the same boring, outdated UI, the same yawn-inducing hardware design and the same sub-par build-quality. If all one cares about is specs, the OnePlus One is an option. With Windows Phone, I'm buying an experience... a modern OS/UI that's fluid, buttery smooth and efficient; hardware I love to use and look at; hardware that turns head and inspires compliments; sturdy build quality; a terrific camera with true OIS; the almost exclusive convenience of Glance, etc.

Just about every smartphone on any platform does the job... but show me someone that drools over specs and, more often than not, I'll show you someone with an ugly, boring device, mediocre battery life, and computing power that can't even be utilized.

You do realize that Lollipop makes laps around WP8.1 right? There is no debate here. I could write a book on pivots and tiles, does not change the fact that I can do twice as much in half the time with the One. Not the most original design, but it looks great nonetheless.

Lumia 735 = $300, OnePlus One 16GB = $300
OnePlus One 64GB = $350
Lumia 830 = $450

OnePlus One is one of the top phones in the market and is cheaper/on par with Microsoft's midrange offerings. Surely if this was running Windows you would be singing a different tune?

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
You do realize that Lollipop makes laps around WP8.1 right? There is no debate here. I could write a book on pivots and tiles, does not change the fact that I can do twice as much in half the time with the One. Not the most original design, but it looks great nonetheless.

Lumia 735 = $300, OnePlus One 16GB = $300
OnePlus One 64GB = $350
Lumia 830 = $450

OnePlus One is one of the top phones in the market and is cheaper/on par with Microsoft's midrange offerings. Surely if this was running Windows you would be singing a different tune?

Are you sure you meant to reply to me? Because what you said would make absolutely no sense if you were. What does the OS have ANYTHING to do with what I said?

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Smart idea. Customer support is the pits with OnePlus One.

You might get your best bang-for-buck but if you got a bad lemon, you'll regret ever spending 350 on it.

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Are you sure you meant to reply to me? Because what you said would make absolutely no sense if you were. What does the OS have ANYTHING to do with what I said?

Forgot to add text. Was going to say that there is nothing particularly wrong with having 4GB RAM on a device if there were no compromises with the bump.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EyeTea