Search button unresponsive?

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Is anybody else having issues with the search button not responding at all? Is this a software or a hardware issue? Tried a couple of soft resets and that seems to have fixed it for now. Never had a problem with anything till today. Though working better now, it seems that I need to press harder on it to get it to work. I put a screen protector on this phone yesterday and I'm wondering if this has something to do with it, except that there's no issues with pressing anything else so it seems to be isolated to the search.

cre8tivspirit

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
I just recently switched from a L920 to the 830 and have noticed that my search button is unresponsive quite a bit. It seems to be a "feature" of the 830.
Sent from my Lumia 830 using Tapatalk.

Likwidz

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I haven't had an issue with my search on two different 830's...I have however have had intermittent non-response issues with my back button. Some people think it might be screen protector related, some people think it's because of sweaty hands, and it could very well be a defect of some sort.

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Have a look at the Sticky:Lumia 830 Bugs and Defects string. MANY comments on this issue.

Thanks, I found a fix in that Sticky. It is the screen protector! Sounds weird, but somehow it doesn't affect the other two buttons. I ended up cutting that corner of the protector so is not over the Search button and it works absolutely perfect! Bizarre, I know!

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
It's this all brands? I've got the shields self healing one. I almost returned the phone until I figured this out.
All brands of protectors? That I don't know. This was the first and only one that I ever tried on this phone. I ended up cutting out the entire rectangle, right where the screen ends, so all three capacitive buttons are uncovered by it.

Alcarnor14

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Seems an odd issue, mine just recently started doing this, probably after applying a screen protector. And it's off and the search works fine. Does the "high sensitivity touch" not extend to the buttons below the screen?

aseferian

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Exactly! The best of both words: no more accidental Cortana launchings (which were common on my 920), with being able to invoke it whenever you want from the start screen.

Radecho007

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
Why do people still use screen protectors? Phone screens are these days are very resistant to scratches just keep your phone in a pocket separate from all your other stuff

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Why do people still use screen protectors? Phone screens are these days are very resistant to scratches just keep your phone in a pocket separate from all your other stuff
I agree, which is why I never got one before. Unfortunately, I dropped this phone and it landed face down right into the corner of a metal step. It was a nasty impact so yes, the screen cracked! A single crack that runs short ways from one side to the other. Everything works fine and you can only notice the crack when you hold it in an angle. Mainly, I want the protector to stop stuff from going into the crack itself.

Basiluzzo

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site

I have a wallet that's too big for my pocket to fit anything else there. So from time to time my keys find themselves in the same pocket as my phone - I try to keep them separate but it just happens! I had my L830 3 days when it got a tiny scratch on the screen, so I bought a protector. And guess what? it made the search button stop functioning. The protector just got a scratch on it so I ordered a replacement. When I peeled the old protector off, the search button worked perfectly! I'm considering cutting the bottom off the new protector, so it doesn't cover the buttons. Any thoughts?

jamvng

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
This happened to me too with my glass screen protector (L830), keeping the touch sensitivity at high fixed jt for me.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm considering cutting the bottom off the new protector, so it doesn't cover the buttons. Any thoughts?
I'v used a hole puncher for my wife's screen protector to put a hole just where the search button is and it worked. Playing with touch sensitivity didn't work no matter which screen protector we used (and we tried a total of 3 different kinds).

Basiluzzo

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
I'v used a hole puncher for my wife's screen protector to put a hole just where the search button is and it worked. Playing with touch sensitivity didn't work no matter which screen protector we used (and we tried a total of 3 different kinds).

Well I cut the bottom off the new protector and apparently it wasn't designed for that because a day later one corner curled up. I pressed it back onto the phone but it got pocket lint on it! Quite ugly, so I'll have to buy a new one - I'll try the hole punch, that's a great idea! It may be my imagination but Cortana via the tile vs Cortana via the search button seem different. The search button version seems a little more personalized. Am I dreaming?

jockopablo

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
I was close to returning my 830 because of this problem until I thought to pull back my screen protector and test the search button and it worked fine. It's so odd that the protector didn't affect the other two buttons. As others have done, I ended up cutting off the bottom of the protector. So far so good.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I'll try the hole punch, that's a great idea! It may be my imagination but Cortana via the tile vs Cortana via the search button seem different. The search button version seems a little more personalized. Am I dreaming?

welcome. I tried cutting the bottom off too but found that the corners get easily picked up by things and lifted off. The reason this doesn't happen when the protector is going all the way to the edge is that the phone's edge is the part that interacts with anything that could pull the film off.

The one big difference is that you can't long hold the search button for cortana to listen. You have to open the tile and then tap the microphone.

​cheers

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb