Unhappy 830 users?

Mmazeo

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Are there any? If so I'd love to hear why. More specifically, was it actual phone performance or was it a random bug type issue?

RestLessElement

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
same problem..back button unresponsive..out of 10 times only 6-7 times respond..and at some point of time when you are pressing back button key it will not response then just hit back key 5-10 times it will not response..leave it wait for 2-3 seconds then press back key then it will response.wtf

Desynthesis

May 12, 2014
Visit site
Only one complaint (specific to the Lumia 830): phone resets happening on their own.

I think I might have found a way around it (leaving an app open in the background--in my case, JBD Facebook), but that may prove to be unfounded. I haven't purchased a Qi charger yet (I'm holding off until I know for certain the phone doesn't have the issues that forced me to replace my Lumia 925), so there might be something there.

I'm very optimistic about the phone, don't get me wrong, but I've been proven wrong before.

nimesq

Nov 13, 2014
Visit site
I have at AT&T branded 830, no problems with anything... came from a 920 because my other options were Android or iPhone. Sure they have better specs available right now, but the build of the 830 along with the nice OS is more than fine for me.

mj0

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
I certainly wouldn't say I'm unhappy but I do have some gripes with my 830.

First thing would be that personally, I find it too large. I prefer smaller phones but in this day and age it's pretty much impossible to find anything smaller than 4.5-5". I've used the 635 for three months before I bought the 830 (coming from an iPhone I first wanted to see whether or not Windows Phone was capable of doing what I needed it to do) which was much nicer to hold and use one-handed. Completely impossible with the 830, my palm always touches the screen on the bottom edge which means that my thumb can touch whatever it wants it'll only confuse the phone. The other thing I don't like are its capacitive buttons - much less responsive than the 635's on-screen buttons, and the automatic backlight doesn't always work. More often than not I find myself not being able to see the buttons and therefore missing them by a few millimeters. This does, however, not bother me too much since it's obviously a software issue and will probably get fixed at some point.

Other than that the phone is fantastic. Reception is spectacular (the best I've ever experienced!), even beating the 635 which I though was impossible. Battery life is pretty good, it easily gets me through long work days (6am-midnight) without having to recharge and performance is nothing to complain about. That said I also need to add that this is a business phone and I don't play any games on it but use it as a phone and mobile email device a lot.

Last edited:

Noahma

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
I certainly wouldn't say I'm unhappy but I do have some gripes with my 830.

First thing would be that personally, I find it too large. I prefer smaller phones but in this day and age it's pretty much impossible to find anything smaller than 4.5-5". I've used the 635 for three months before I bought the 830 (coming from an iPhone I first wanted to see whether or not Windows Phone was capable of doing what I needed it to do) which was much nicer to hold and use one-handed. Completely impossible with the 830, my palm always touches the screen on the bottom edge which means that my thumb can touch whatever it wants it'll only confuse the phone. The other thing I don't like are its capacitive buttons - much less responsive than the 635's on-screen buttons, and the automatic backlight doesn't always work. More often than not I find myself not being able to see the buttons and therefore missing them by a few millimeters. This does, however, not bother me too much since it's obviously a software issue and will probably get fixed at some point.

Other than that the phone is fantastic. Reception is spectacular (the best I've ever experienced!), even beating the 635 which I though was impossible. Battery life is pretty good, it easily gets me through long work days (6am-midnight) without having to recharge and performance is nothing to complain about. That said I also need to add that this is a business phone and I don't play any games on it but use it as a phone and mobile email device a lot.

Other than the size. Which is admittedly a personal type of problem. The capacitive buttons need a firmware update. I get the mis-hit occasionally. I had a problem with it on my 920 as well for a while which was fixed with a firmware update, So I can see that issue being resolved in the future.

Noahma

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
I would go bring it in and have the device replaced, that should not be happening. My 830 has only reset itself once, and that was due to a crappy app. If its doing it frequently there might be a problem with the phones main board, which will not resolve itself.

Only one complaint (specific to the Lumia 830): phone resets happening on their own.

I think I might have found a way around it (leaving an app open in the background--in my case, JBD Facebook), but that may prove to be unfounded. I haven't purchased a Qi charger yet (I'm holding off until I know for certain the phone doesn't have the issues that forced me to replace my Lumia 925), so there might be something there.

I'm very optimistic about the phone, don't get me wrong, but I've been proven wrong before.

runamuck83

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
same problem..back button unresponsive..out of 10 times only 6-7 times respond..and at some point of time when you are pressing back button key it will not response then just hit back key 5-10 times it will not response..leave it wait for 2-3 seconds then press back key then it will response.wtf

Yes, I have this problem. Even worse my search button just completely gave up the ghost and won't work at all anymore.

I am hoping it's a software glitch

slavisa jakovcevic

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
Hi.
I am not so unhappy user of my lumia 830. It is very nice phone. Only i am not happy because almost all apps needs 1-2secnds to start. Why is that? is it normal on WP? Special camera start it makes me really unhappy, take 2-3 seconds to start.

mj0

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
Oddly enough my phone has started acting up just this morning. First started with a reboot while I was reading the news and now Wi-Fi had completely stopped working. Had to reboot the phone manually in order to get it back. Haven't experienced any of this with the 635.

BSobotta

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I have at AT&T branded 830, no problems with anything... came from a 920 because my other options were Android or iPhone. Sure they have better specs available right now, but the build of the 830 along with the nice OS is more than fine for me.

Would be going with the 830 if I was sticking with ATT, but I got stuck with an iPhone from work through sprint. I am picking a lumia icon up for a phone just to play with. 830 would be next in line for me.

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Far from being unhappy. I previously had a Lumia Icon and thought it being 5in was the problem. Turns out the Icon was simply too thick.

The slimmer profile and addition of external storage made the 830 everything I wished the Icon was. Jumping down from SD800 to an SD400 came with very little regret.

Nahuel 1988

Nov 26, 2014
Visit site
I simply love the 830. I used to work for Rogers Canada, so I've got plenty devices around (HTC Magic, HTC One S, HTC 8S, HTC One M7, BlackBerry Q10 and an iPhone 4S). The Lumia was the first phone I got without any employee discount, and switched from my HTC One M7 to the Lumia 830 to give Windows Phone another try (I wasn't too convinced by the 8S) and I don't regret it. I often hear people complaing about the app gap and I seriously wonder what they do with their phones. Even OBD car scan is available now. The only thing I've lost from Android was the Pebble support (Pebble Steel accumulating dust). Other than that, from a power user as myself, I was amazed by the device and OS. Sure it's not as good on specs as my M7, but for the price I paid it's great.

Dirtcrunch

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
I am more than satisfied with the Lumia 830. Coming from the 520, nearly every aspect of the 830 is a major upgrade.

There are just a few things that make it is a 99% awesome phone instead of the full 100...
First, the size. I thought 5 inch would be way too much of a good thing. While it isn?t as bad as I thought it would be ? you get used to it with two-hand usage in no time ? I still sometimes wish the phone would be just a tad smaller. When I want to skip a song while walking, for example.

Second, Glance responds rather slowly when taken out of pocket. It takes the screen more than 1 second to show the Glance screen. However, I don?t know if this is a Windows Phone thing or specific for Lumia 830. On an unrelated note, I overestimated the usefulness of this function. Especially with the double-tap-to-wake taking you to just a brighter version of the Glance screen.

Third, the processor seems to have to work very hard to take pictures. It takes a few seconds to launch the camera, and the app crashes every now and then when taking living images. I hear this will be solved in the Lumia Camera update.

Fourth, the screen is a bit shiny. When seeing from an angle, it has a mirror effect. That makes that the screen looks to be very 'deep' inside the phone. Not very nice on the eye, compared to iPhones.

Overall: the phone is a 99/100. It's well-made, has a great feel (although the screen of my first came loose so I returned it), steady speed, nice camera and native apps are beautifully displayed. Windows Phone is the best OS I've ever worked with. No useless gimmicks or hyped games. Keeping in mind the almost guaranteed updates, you can't go wrong with this phone.

TimnMelinda

Nov 25, 2014
Visit site
Quite the opposite! Both my wife and I are very pleased with our 830's
Smooth function, great battery life, good looks and sounds.
I do flip flop on the size, Sometimes I think it is about perfect other times thinking just a small reduction to 4.5/4.7 range may have been the "just right" size.

I beat my self up for quite a while trying to decide android, ios, or WP then it was rough deciding M8 or 830 that took a while and much worry.
When I chose this route, I think I made the perfect choice, for both of us it suits us well!

I am afraid to say it aloud, as I do not wish to Jinx anything, but so far no restarts.
I have had a rare occasion to have sluggish response with the back button.

My wife has one complaint, she is always hitting the camera button with her fingers so she wishes she could disable it or make it higher effort,
I on the other hand, like the camera button on the phone, so it is choices I preference? I tease her telling her to not be so clumsy with her fingers!

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
For those of you in this thread having issues with the capacitive buttons, if you're using a screen protector that will be the culprit! I never had a problem with the Search button till I got a protector and didn't make the connection. Reading through the forums I found that to be the issue. I kept the protector but cut the bottom rectangle, right where the screen ends, so all the capacitive buttons are uncovered and accessible.

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Quite the opposite! Both my wife and I are very pleased with our 830's
Smooth function, great battery life, good looks and sounds.
I do flip flop on the size, Sometimes I think it is about perfect other times thinking just a small reduction to 4.5/4.7 range may have been the "just right" size.

I beat my self up for quite a while trying to decide android, ios, or WP then it was rough deciding M8 or 830 that took a while and much worry.
When I chose this route, I think I made the perfect choice, for both of us it suits us well!

I am afraid to say it aloud, as I do not wish to Jinx anything, but so far no restarts.
I have had a rare occasion to have sluggish response with the back button.

My wife has one complaint, she is always hitting the camera button with her fingers so she wishes she could disable it or make it higher effort,
I on the other hand, like the camera button on the phone, so it is choices I preference? I tease her telling her to not be so clumsy with her fingers!

You can go Settings > swipe to the left to Applications > photos + camera > check "Prevent accidental camera launch when phone is locked" box.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786