Hi, first of all I want to apologize for my bad English (it's not my native language). Since a couple of days I have a Lumia 830 and love it so far. Something is bugging me though. When I'm in a dark environment and I have a black background on the display and I look on the screen from different angles (from the side, bottom corner...) the black turns into grey. Change of viewing angles changes the color of the display quite strongly. Even when I'm looking straight on to it from the front and I'm in a dark room, black is not really deep black. Is something wrong with my display (isn't it supposed to be clear black), or does other Lumia 830 owners experience the same? Another thing is if I press the display a little bit harder than usual with normal use, some white stains appear on the display. These disappear when I stop pressing, still it reminds me much of the old LCD -panels and I didn't have this behavior with
    other Phones with gorilla glass.

Thanks in advance,
    greetings from Berlin,
    Johannes
    Last edited by p111; 01-03-2015 at 06:02 PM.
    01-03-2015 11:24 AM
    It's totally normal. All 830s have those anomalies. :D
    01-03-2015 06:04 PM
    Yeah unfortunately the screen is one of the things Nokia skimped on to hit the price point of the 830. They went through all the trouble to build a solid, gorgeous phone, but they gave it a mediocre screen and a very underpowered processor. I returned mine because it just wasn't the phone I was expecting (hoping) it to be.
    01-03-2015 10:39 PM
    these white stains are not normal. You might have a defective phone.

and btw, i'd say that "mediocre screen" and "very underpowered processor" are overstatements...
    Noahma likes this.
    01-03-2015 10:49 PM
    these white stains are not normal. You might have a defective phone.

and btw, i'd say that "mediocre screen" and "very underpowered processor" are overstatements...
    They aren't overstatements at all. When you compare the screen to say the iPhone 6 (which is close to 720p), it's clear that the screen on the 830 isn't the greatest. It's not terrible, but it certainly isn't better than mediocre. As far as it being underpowered is concerned, unless lag is the norm for Windows Phone, than it is certainly underpowered. I have an iPhone 6, a 2014 Moto X, and a Nexus 5, and using the 830 was very frustrating for me because of how laggy and just generally slow it was compared to my other phones. The 830 was my first windows phone and I really wanted to love it, but the lag and the constant "resuming" screens just killed the experience for me. A phone should never have to reload its home screen, and the 830 did it all the time. The physical design of it is awesome, its build quality is superb, and I was impressed with the OS, but the performance of the phone left much to be desired. I'm used to flagship phones, that's all I buy, and 830 is the closest thing AT&T has to a flagship aside from the 1520 which is too large for me. I bought it, gave it a very fair chance, but it just didn't work out for me, unfortunately.
    01-03-2015 11:11 PM
    A phone should never have to reload its home screen, and the 830 did it all the time.
    sorry you had that bad experience. There are other posts here with some folks noting performance issues. But then there are also folks who have no such issues (like myself). We have two L830s and they do not have any lag or "resuming" issues. Trust me, if I had any "resuming" issues I'd be mad as hell. Wanted to make sure that this doesn't come across as being the norm....

to the OP: there were a few posts about the issue with bleeding when pressing harder on the screen. The screen on the L830 seems thinner than on my previous L920. However, the streaks only appear on mine and my wife's if I press it uncomfortably hard that I'm afraid to break it. If you don't have to press hard to see the light bleeding then yours may be from a bad batch.

Grsse aus'm flachen Ohio!

PS: lay down the phone in front of your PC monitor so you can see the reflection of an application with white background (best with some text, like this site). Have the phone's screen off. Then push down on the phone's screen and watch the warping of the reflection. Use the same force on a different phone and you'll notice how much easier it is on the L830. There is definitely a difference between an L920 and the L830.
    Last edited by Derausgewanderte; 01-04-2015 at 12:20 AM.
    01-03-2015 11:48 PM
    They aren't overstatements at all. When you compare the screen to say the iPhone 6 (which is close to 720p), it's clear that the screen on the 830 isn't the greatest. It's not terrible, but it certainly isn't better than mediocre. As far as it being underpowered is concerned, unless lag is the norm for Windows Phone, than it is certainly underpowered. I have an iPhone 6, a 2014 Moto X, and a Nexus 5, and using the 830 was very frustrating for me because of how laggy and just generally slow it was compared to my other phones. The 830 was my first windows phone and I really wanted to love it, but the lag and the constant "resuming" screens just killed the experience for me. A phone should never have to reload its home screen, and the 830 did it all the time. The physical design of it is awesome, its build quality is superb, and I was impressed with the OS, but the performance of the phone left much to be desired. I'm used to flagship phones, that's all I buy, and 830 is the closest thing AT&T has to a flagship aside from the 1520 which is too large for me. I bought it, gave it a very fair chance, but it just didn't work out for me, unfortunately.
    Buy a 930, you look like you can afford it. I have multiple phones myself ( 4S, Q10, 8S, One S and the M7 ). I use the 830 for every day and work purposes (still debating on leaving my Red M7) and so far so good. I have over 30 apps is it and a 32 SD card and zero issues. I had a iPhone 6 briefly but iOS 8 on it didn't run smoothly and the 6 lens camera on the 830 does a better job. Ended up selling it for 550$.
    01-03-2015 11:56 PM
    sorry you had that bad experience. There are other posts here with some folks noting performance issues. But then there are also folks who have no such issues (like myself). We have two L830s and they do not have any lag or "resuming" issues. Wanted to make sure that this doesn't come across as being the norm....

to the OP: there were a few posts about the issue with bleeding when pressing harder on the screen. The screen on the L830 seems thinner than on my previous L920. However, the streaks only appear on mine and my wife's if I press it uncomfortably hard that I'm afraid to break it. If you don't have to press hard to see the light bleeding then yours may be from a bad batch.
    Yeah, I know there are a ton of happy 830 owners, which is one of the reasons why I decided to pull the trigger and buy it in the first place. Maybe it was because I had a lot of live tiles? I don't know. I'm not familiar enough with windows phone to make that call. But it happened more times than what I considered acceptable and it was very annoying and disheartening, as my initial impressions of both the phone and OS were very positive.
    Derausgewanderte likes this.
    01-04-2015 12:01 AM
    Buy a 930, you look like you can afford it. I have multiple phones myself ( 4S, Q10, 8S, One S and the M7 ). I use the 830 for every day and work purposes (still debating on leaving my Red M7) and so far so good. I have over 30 apps is it and a 32 SD card and zero issues. I had a iPhone 6 briefly but iOS 8 on it didn't run smoothly and the 6 lens camera on the 830 does a better job. Ended up selling it for 550$.
    The 930 is the phone I initially wanted, but it doesn't support the proper LTE bands to work on AT&T and that's a deal breaker for me. It is a very slick phone though, and I'm sure I would have been much happier with it than the 830, if only LTE worked.
    01-04-2015 12:05 AM
    My coworker got one and it's fast, the LTE works here with Rogers Canada. Got it with Amazon for 450$ since there is not a single carrier that sells it here. I believe Rogers and AT&T share the same bands.
    01-04-2015 12:10 AM
    The 930 is the phone I initially wanted, but it doesn't support the proper LTE bands to work on AT&T and that's a deal breaker for me. It is a very slick phone though, and I'm sure I would have been much happier with it than the 830, if only LTE worked.
    If you are interested, I could ask for the Amazon link and forward it to you. If the LTE works with Rogers, I'm 99% sure it would work with AT&T.
    01-04-2015 12:14 AM
    My coworker got one and it's fast, the LTE works here with Rogers Canada. Got it with Amazon for 450$ since there is not a single carrier that sells it here. I believe Rogers and AT&T share the same bands.
    The 930? LTE does not work on AT&T in the states. I did a lot of research on it because it was the phone that made me want to give WP a try. I got the 830 because it was the closest thing to a 930 I could get. I almost signed a contract with Verizon just to get the 930, but that would have been very hard to justify because I still would have kept my line with AT&T. I switch between phones on a daily basis, so I absolutely have to stick with GSM.
    01-04-2015 12:17 AM
    If you are interested, I could ask for the Amazon link and forward it to you. If the LTE works with Rogers, I'm 99% sure it would work with AT&T.
    I appreciate it but you don't need to. Aside from the fact that I've already done the research, I ended up using the money from the 830 to buy a Surface Pro 3 so it'll be at least a few months before I buy another phone, and by that time hopefully a new flagship Lumia will be out.
    01-04-2015 12:22 AM
    Maybe it was because I had a lot of live tiles? I don't know.
    You've probably seen this reply already. In my case it never mattered how many live tiles I added to the main screen. I did notice a lag (never "resuming" though) with a medium or large Cortana tile on the front visible part and others have confirmed similar lags with the Cortana tile on medium or large on front screen.

btw. you mentioned LTE not working on ATT. Maybe this is not applicable here. But I had a Rogers ROM on my L920 and did have LTE on my US-ATT line perfectly fine. Would surprise me if that's not the case for the L930, unless the hardware for the L930 prevents this?
    01-04-2015 12:23 AM
    The 930 is GSM... Verizon sells variant if I'm not mistaken. 930:

4G Network LTE 800 / 900 / 1800 / 2100 / 2600

Icon:

4G Network LTE 700 MHz Class 13 / 1700 / 2100

So yeah, if you get the same 930 as my coworker, you will have LTE. As I just verified and Rogers uses the same bands as AT&T. Both GSM.
    01-04-2015 12:24 AM
    Alright, my pleasure!
    01-04-2015 12:25 AM

Icon:

So yeah, if you get the same 930 as my coworker, you will have LTE. As I just verified and Rogers uses the same bands as AT&T. Both GSM.

LTE wont work with the 930 on AT&T, period. Someone did post that he was able to get AT&T LTE on the Icon though
    01-04-2015 12:30 AM

Icon:

The Rogers one must be a different variant than the international one, which was the one I was looking at. Oh well, spilled milk at this point. There's no way I'm parting with my Surface Pro 3 to get another phone, you'd have to pry this thing from my cold dead hands lol. Thanks for looking it up though, I appreciate it!
    01-04-2015 12:32 AM
    The Rogers one must be a different variant than the international one, which was the one I was looking at. Oh well, spilled milk at this point. There's no way I'm parting with my Surface Pro 3 to get another phone, you'd have to pry this thing from my cold dead hands lol. Thanks for looking it up though, I appreciate it!
    Give it another try in the fall when a flagship phone is released. I was in the same predicament (most 920 users on AT&T are) I took the plunge and bought my 830 off contract to save my upgrade for a new flagship. I however have had none of the issues you seem to have had. The screen true is not a top of the line screen, but that was on purpose to keep the cost as low as they could get it. Everything else about the phone feels much better than my aging 920 (not knock your socks off better, but a nice comfortable better)
    01-05-2015 12:27 AM