Wireless charging - is this normal?

mj0

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
Until recently I've used a cable to charge my phone over night, and I knew that no matter how long it was connected when I took it off the charger in the morning it'd be at 100%. Not so with the Qi wireless charger though, it seems like the phone is charging to 100% then the charger stops charging the battery and the drain begins leaving me with less than 100% in the morning. During the week it's usually at around 95% when I get up, on the weekends when I don't get up at 6am it's even less, today it was at 88%.

Is that normal? If so which of the two devices involved triggers this behavior, the charging pad or the phone?

Last edited:

Rick_Air

May 7, 2013
Visit site
Re: Wireless charging - is that normal?

Generally there's a good chance you'd pick it up with less than 100% due to the fact when it reaches 100 the pad stops charging your phone. Then once it's dropped a little the pad starts charging your mobile again.
88% seems a bit too low though. I've found normally mid to high 90's

Lee Power

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site

Which wireless charger are you using? One powered by mains OR a portable battery powered one?

Koki.v3

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site

The DT-903 doesn't do this, it keeps the phone at 100%. The light does turn off once the phone gets to 100% but every once in a while (assuming) when the battery drops a percent or two, it starts charging again. The light does not turn on this time as it probably knows that the phone hasn't left the pad.

mj0

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site

Interesting, thank you. I've bought this charging pad: Qi Wireless Charging Pad Ladeger?te for Samsung Galaxy S3 S4 S5 Note 2 Note 3 | eBay. It's a powered one (MicroUSB). Had to modify it a little bit, the coil was too far up so that the phone was only halfway on the charger. I took it apart and moved the coil down an inch and now it fits just right.

Like I said, really cheap one since I first wanted to try wireless charging before I invest any real money into a charger that I might end up not using in the end. So you're saying the charger is the culprit?

Last edited:

gmfeld

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site

The DT-903 doesn't do this, it keeps the phone at 100%. The light does turn off once the phone gets to 100% but every once in a while (assuming) when the battery drops a percent or two, it starts charging again. The light does not turn on this time as it probably knows that the phone hasn't left the pad.

Is the DT-903 finally available for sale? In the U.S.? I've been waiting for this since it was announced but still haven't found it for purchase.

bmetelsky

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site

I was using the DT-910 with my Icon and it would generally be at 99-100% every morning when I took it off the charger.

Noahma

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site

Interesting, thank you. I've bought this charging pad: Qi Wireless Charging Pad Ladeger?te for Samsung Galaxy S3 S4 S5 Note 2 Note 3 | eBay. It's a powered one (MicroUSB). Had to modify it a little bit, the coil was too far up so that the phone was only halfway on the charger. I took it apart and moved the coil down an inch and now it fits just right.

Like I said, really cheap one since I first wanted to try wireless charging before I invest any real money into a charger that I might end up not using in the end. So you're saying the charger is the culprit?

My guess is that it is the charger. Try one of the Nokia branded ones, you can pick them up for cheap if you look around.

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site

Until recently I've used a cable to charge my phone over night, and I knew that no matter how long it was connected when I took it off the charger in the morning it'd be at 100%. Not so with the Qi wireless charger though, it seems like the phone is charging to 100% then the charger stops charging the battery and the drain begins leaving me with less than 100% in the morning. During the week it's usually at around 95% when I get up, on the weekends when I don't get up at 6am it's even less, today it was at 88%.

Is that normal? If so which of the two devices involved triggers this behavior, the charging pad or the phone?

Battery saver turns off while charging and if it sits a long time after it's fully charged and a lot of apps are running in the background it will drain. Try charging it when you are awake and when the pad light goes out turn on battery charger and see if it drains as fast. But I would disable apps that substantially drain the battery if you're not using them and see if that might help when you charge it and leave overnight.

mj0

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site

To be honest - if that's what I have to do to use wireless charging then I'd rather stick to the cable. I really don't want to go through my phone every night closing apps I might or might not need... my idea was that it'd be easier at night. Instead of plugging in the cable I'd just place the phone on the charging pad and be done with it. In the morning I take it off and won't have to fiddle around with the cable.

Also, I don't get what battery saver has to do with this. If it turns off while charging it should also turn on as soon as it's not charging anymore, shouldn't it?

Tom Snyder

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site

I'm using a OEM Nokia wireless charger on my 920, always charges to 100% and it does not take that long either. In fact I don't see any charging speed difference between the Nokia wireless charging pad and the Nokia supplied AC charger

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
I think mj0's qi charger is the "problem". I have 4 types of Nokia qi chargers and 3 phones and if I put them on the qi charger they are 100% in the morning. My guess is that mj0's charger "detects" the phone if you put it on the charger. Than loads it to "100%" and than switches of. But does not "detect" that the phone drains so does not switch on again.

mj0

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, that makes perfect sense. I'll use the charger during the day on Monday to figure out what exactly is going on.

Koki.v3

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site

Is the DT-903 finally available for sale? In the U.S.? I've been waiting for this since it was announced but still haven't found it for purchase.
I'm from the Czech republic and got it here, don't know about US.

But it sure is awesome:

mj0

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
Quick update: after some observations it's exactly as Harrie-S said: the pad charges the phone until it reaches 100% and sends the "I'm fully charged" signal. It then switches off and stops charging, in order to restart the charging process I have to take it off the charger and put it back on.

However, this doesn't really bother me. It hasn't dropped below 95% in the past few days and given that at the end of the day I usually have somewhere between 40-60% left anyway this isn't a big deal for me.

gmfeld

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site

I'm using a OEM Nokia wireless charger on my 920, always charges to 100% and it does not take that long either. In fact I don't see any charging speed difference between the Nokia wireless charging pad and the Nokia supplied AC charger
I am using the EC Ultra-Slim Wireless Charger pad, and I have no doubt it takes much longer to charge my 830 than when I plug it into the cable attached to an electric outlet.

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Fwiw, the Qi chargers usually charge around 800 mAh, so depending on your corded charger you may not even notice much of a difference. (like the stock USB port or older AC versions doing 500 mAh)

Also, as noted above, not all Qi chargers are equal. I have 3 of the Nokia's and they work well. Wait to find them on discount, they definitely seem to be a relatively high quality and reliable source.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon