"Listening..."

thron

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
I am bumping something that triggers this and I'm not sure what it is. It's always a black screen, with "Listening..." and a random suggestion like "SMS Andy" - when I don't have anyone named Andy in my contacts.

Whatever this is, it's annoying and I'd like to disable it. Anyone have any ideas what it is?
When I click the search bar on the capacitive buttons, Bing loads. I assume it is unrelated. I do not use Cortana and she is not pinned to start.

Athull

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
Its cortana waiting for a command. Its usually triggered that way when u press and hold the capacitive search key.

Athull

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
Umm i dont think so, I believe u have already disabled cortana in settings? If it still happens then that means bing search also works in the same way now.

Noahma

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
When you do a long press on the search capacitive button you are activating Cortana if enabled, or Tellme if not enabled. Both will result in the "listening..." you are experience. No way to shut it off, just need to modify how you are holding the phone.

thron

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Yeah well, I never hit the back or start button by accident! It would be nice to be able to assign a shortcut of choice to that button.

Koki.v3

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Some people in the bugs/defects thread have reported the search button being overly sensitive or activating itself without being touched. I don't believe this is a software issue, most likely defective hardware (my 830 definitely doesn't do this). The only thing I imagine you can try is switching the screen sensitivity from high to normal and see if that helps. Otherwise return it for an exchange or a refund.

Leslie M

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
I am having the same thing happen to me. I know for sure I am not touching the screen in any way, but the touch does seem to be sensitive that hovering can register as a touch so maybe that it is. I'll try lowering the sensitivity and hope that works.

thron

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Does seem to be triggered by the "high" setting for touch sensitivity.... I can just hover my finger over it, and it activates (like glance!)

I don't see how this is a hardware flaw, isn't it more of a firmware issue? Hoping its fixed in the next update. "normal" sensitivity doesn't work that great with my screen protector.

Noahma

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
Does seem to be triggered by the "high" setting for touch sensitivity.... I can just hover my finger over it, and it activates (like glance!)

I don't see how this is a hardware flaw, isn't it more of a firmware issue? Hoping its fixed in the next update. "normal" sensitivity doesn't work that great with my screen protector.

Where are you located at in terms of climate? Here in Colorado if the phone is set to high, (even with my 920) it will activate on dry days from hovering, sometimes at a great distance. if there is enough conductivity to allow static to build up, it could pull the signal through.

thron

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Hmm, that's an interesting theory! I just cleaned the entire phone incase something on the phone could be triggering it.. I'm in Toronto Ontario.

Noahma

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
Hmm, that's an interesting theory! I just cleaned the entire phone incase something on the phone could be triggering it.. I'm in Toronto Ontario.

It used to drive me nuts when it happened with my 920, so far its not happening on the 830, but I cannot rule it out in your case. Try turning the sensitivity down and see if it helps.

iversenthomas

May 2, 2016
Visit site
I am bumping something that triggers this and I'm not sure what it is. It's always a black screen, with "Listening..." and a random suggestion like "SMS Andy" - when I don't have anyone named Andy in my contacts.

Whatever this is, it's annoying and I'd like to disable it. Anyone have any ideas what it is?
When I click the search bar on the capacitive buttons, Bing loads. I assume it is unrelated. I do not use Cortana and she is not pinned to start.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa