Is OIS used only when taking photos?

grininja

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
I noticed at videos taken with my Lumia 830 that stabilization is looking somehow like youtube does it. So I remembered something I heard about iphone 6, that the optical stabilization is used only when taking photos, but at videos is used software stabilization.

Now I wonder... And I didn't found any documentation on this.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I noticed at videos taken with my Lumia 830 that stabilization is looking somehow like youtube does it. So I remembered something I heard about iphone 6, that the optical stabilization is used only when taking photos, but at videos is used software stabilization.

Now I wonder... And I didn't found any documentation on this.

I am not sure if the algorithms in the L1020 apply in the L830, but in the L1020 OIS is used both in taking photographs and in recording video (with continuous focus enabled). You can observe the L830 camera module during video recording and see if the lens assembly compensates for phone rotational movements - this can be readily observed in the huge lens assembly of the L1020.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I am not sure if the algorithms in the L1020 apply in the L830, but in the L1020 OIS is used both in taking photographs and in recording video (with continuous focus enabled). You can observe the L830 camera module during video recording and see if the lens assembly compensates for phone rotational movements - this can be readily observed in the huge lens assembly of the L1020.

My 920 behaves the same way, using OIS for both.

mildor

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Yes, OIS is for both...video and photos (you can watch the video "hands on lumia 830" in the official microsoft/nokia channel in youtube, and they show you a video using OIS)...
Also in the video of presentation of the lumia 830 in germany, the photography director says that "the phone take better low-light pictures without so much post-editing thanks to a longer exposure, allowed by OIS", of couse she was talking about the new camera app "lumia camera"... but I guess the preinstalled app "Nokia Camera" still do the job...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720