Why doesn't my Lumia 830 RM-985 connect to AT&T LTE?

keenanray27

Jan 30, 2015
Visit site
Why doesn't my Lumia 830 RM-985 connect to AT&T LTE

I am only connecting to HSPA+ data with my unlocked Lumia 830. It is the RM-985 variant, I bought it from the Microsoft Store and the box it came in verifies that the LTE bands it is compatible to are 2, 4, 5, 7, and 17. Somebody please help! I can't connect to LTE at all...

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: Why doesn't my Lumia 830 RM-985 connect to AT&T LTE

AT&T is funny with their network... you have to call support and ask them to put you on their LTE network. If it's not an AT&T device, it initially won't recognize it to put it on the LTE network. Plenty of people around the WC Forums with international unlocked devices have run into the same problem, but calling support fixed things.

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
Re: Why doesn't my Lumia 830 RM-985 connect to AT&T LTE?

You don't have to call T Mobile with an RM-985 for it to connect to LTE on TM. The RM-985 works better on T Mobile than AT&T too.
I've also never heard of a RM-985 being sold at a MS store are you sure ? I called them many times and they said NO they don't sell RM-984's they only sell RN-985's before I finally bought an RM-985 from Canada. Check Settings > extra + info and see if it actually says: Manufacture Name RM-985. While you're at it make sure LTE has a strong signal on AT&T in you're area, check their map for your location on AT&T and make sure.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site

You don't have to call T Mobile with an RM-985 for it to connect to LTE on TM. The RM-985 works better on T Mobile than AT&T too.
I've also never heard of a RM-985 being sold at a MS store are you sure ? I called them many times and they said NO they don't sell RM-984's they only sell RN-985's before I finally bought an RM-985 from Canada. Check Settings > extra + info and see if it actually says: Manufacture Name RM-985. While you're at it make sure LTE has a strong signal on AT&T in you're area, check their map for your location on AT&T and make sure.

Why do you say that the RM-985 works better on T-Mobile than AT&T? And yes, the Microsoft stores in the US sell the unlocked RM-985 version.

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site

LTE works better has more networks that match apparently and you don't have to ask permission for TM to connect.
My friend has an unlocked RM-985 and w/ ATT and she's often can't connect to ATT LTE and it's configure to
and I'm on TM and in ATT LTE dense Los Angeles I never have issue connecting and she does.
Also further north of LA in Ventura same issue she might be on 4G in an area where ATT LTE is strong and
and I'm connected to TM LTE. It's only anecdotal evidence but it happens enough I say TRUE.
No MS store in LA has ever sold an RM-985 when I asked -where you seeing these ?

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site

Well as an ex-T-Mobile customer I do agree that T-Mobile LTE (wherever available) is far superior than ATT's. The Microsoft physical stores might not have it but the online stores do.

Edit: Wait, I can't find it. Let me verify that

Edit: Nokia Lumia 830 - Unlocked - Microsoft Store

MS does sell an unlocked 830 online and in stores but I just spend over 40 minutes talking to 3 stores 2 in LA and 1 in San Francisco and they don't even know what RM-985 means let alone if they sell them. Same with the online sales hub located in Michigan ...."RM-985 what's that ? never had that question before sorry"
And your link, does it say RM-985 or are you gleaning that from networks listed or what ? I don't see RM-985 listed, I'll check again tho/

Last edited:

Ejay Lozano

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Re: Why doesn't my Lumia 830 RM-985 connect to AT&T LTE

According to Daniel Rubino he said the unlocked international 830 only picks up hspa+ speeds, while the at&t L830 picks up LTE connections. If you're in the US. Same goes for the L930.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo