Cortana working on 830 :)

bumbleboing

Jan 26, 2015
Visit site
Ok this is weird. It says everywhere that Cortana is not supported on Lumia 830 but this is what happened tonight.

I wanted to try to change location and language from Sweden and Swedish to UK/English. I did so and that checked for updates and suddenly there was an update available, rebooted phone and I had Cortana available in the menu. When I opened Cortana it said language is not supported so I changed to US/English and suddenly Cortana was working just perfect.

Don't know about others but I keep reading that the chipset doesn't support Cortana and it's not going to work on 830. Obviously it does! and very well also! I also found a site tonight which showed Cortana working on 630 as well.

These updates and denim updates confuse me a litte. Come on Microsoft! Get the updates out for everyone....

EssThree

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
Cortana will work on any WinPho 8.1 device so long as the language settings support her (a list can be found here). What IS Lumia 930/1520 exclusive is the hands free "Hey Cortana" speech activation. This is down to the passive voice functionality of the Snapdragon 800 chipset, and the Lumia Denim firmware.

I hope that clears things up for you :)

marillionfloyd

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
Don't know about others but I keep reading that the chipset doesn't support Cortana and it's not going to work on 830. Obviously it does!....

Where were you living until now! 830's chipset doesn't support 'Hey Cortana feature'. It is only exclusive to SD800 & higher chipsets. Otherwise, Cortana is available for all Wp 8.1 devices. ;-)

bumbleboing

Jan 26, 2015
Visit site
Ok, whatever :) I didn't know it was the passive activation that was unique to SD800 chip.
Then the missing cortana app is exclusive to sweden :). because I did not have Cortana before I changed location and language and it would not let me install it from SD card either. I will leave it set for UK for now :)

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
Ok, whatever :) I didn't know it was the passive activation that was unique to SD800 chip.
Then the missing cortana app is exclusive to sweden :). because I did not have Cortana before I changed location and language and it would not let me install it from SD card either. I will leave it set for UK for now :)

You can't install Music, WhatsApp, OneDrive, Video, fb Messenger, Weather (MS' ) Calendar, Battery Saver, Podcasts, Gestures Beta, Games, Lumia Camera 5 either let alone Cortana on a SD card, those are propriety apps that's why.

Noahma

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
It will eventually come for your region. Cortana gets customized for each region which is why its not supported in some. They add local slang, dialects and phrases etc. along with a custom voice for each of the regions in which she is functioning in. That is why it takes a while for Microsoft to activate it in each area.

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
It will eventually come for your region. Cortana gets customized for each region which is why its not supported in some. They add local slang, dialects and phrases etc. along with a custom voice for each of the regions in which she is functioning in. That is why it takes a while for Microsoft to activate it in each area.

slang, dialects and phrases etc ? Dude like here in SoCal dude ?( Southern California) Cortana has what's known as a neutral voice from the Eastern Rockies states Colorado, Utah.. there is nothing slang, dialects and phrases about Cortana in the USA. She has a non descript voice. ie. ho hum

Noahma

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
slang, dialects and phrases etc ? Dude like here in SoCal dude ?( Southern California) Cortana has what's known as a neutral voice from the Eastern Rockies states Colorado, Utah.. there is nothing slang, dialects and phrases about Cortana in the USA. She has a non descript voice. ie. ho hum

I'd does not mean that in other parts of the world that she is not being customized for those specific things . Look at China's version of Cortana, different avatar because facial expressions are very important to the way the language is spoken, she even has a different name. The British version has a British accent, used terms and phrases you will not find in American English. Open your eyes, there is a larger world out there besides regional variations in America.

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
I'd does not mean that in other parts of the world that she is not being customized for those specific things . Look at China's version of Cortana, different avatar because facial expressions are very important to the way the language is spoken, she even has a different name. The British version has a British accent, used terms and phrases you will not find in American English. Open your eyes, there is a larger world out there besides regional variations in America.
I'm not American in case you need to know. You made a sweeping statement AND USA is full of slang, region dialects, DOZENS of accents and and phrases. I was just showing you how generalized your comment was and how it fell flat...Did you think I thought the Cortana spoke 'merican in China or the UK ? :grin:

Noahma

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
I'm not American in case you need to know. You made a sweeping statement AND USA is full of slang, region dialects, DOZENS of accents and and phrases. I was just showing you how generalized your comment was and how it fell flat...Did you think I thought the Cortana spoke 'merican in China or the UK ? :grin:

I don't really are where you are from, or where you are now. My point stands, they are tailoring Cortana to the country (region) in which it is released in. The OP was complaining that he/she does not have Cortana for his country (region) as of yet, and was saying he did not think it would be coming. The customization is not going as far as to match every local dialect, but to match the country (region) dialect etc. Apple has not done this with Siri, and therefore the rollout was much quicker.

I used the Chinese Cortana "Xiao Na" as an example as to the lengths that Microsoft is tailoring each country (region). The avatar change to show facial expressions and the different name is a pretty major change to the system. Of course she would not be speaking English, but she is not just speaking Chinese either. She is emoting to match the importance of facial expressions found in in that culture. In each country (region) she is also using different terminology (slang) to match the way the country (region) talks. I would not expect the British Cortana to say "subway" instead of "tube" or "metro" etc. Some of the Brits that elected to try Cortana in its initial American release complained that she could not understand certain terms... Well duhh, she was tailored at that point only to the American form of English, which as stated has variations in words, sentence structure etc.

We can look back at previous articles as well that state just as much.
Cortana to launch in China and UK for version 1, other English-speaking countries soon after | Windows Central

“The challenge in doing this is we want the Cortana experience to be EXCELLENT for everyone -– and this involves not ONLY delivering great voice recognition for all the different languages, but also making sure that we have a great regional experience with local content so she doesn’t feel like an American!”
-Joe Belfiore

By the way, Colorado has a slight Texas twang to its local dialect, its not the "news anchor" normalized English you hear on T.V. or should I say the "telly". I have had my east coast family say our accent has bits of a light Texas accent, with a slight elongated o sound similar to the Minnesotan dialect.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon