Blown away by the 830

BSobotta

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
So first a bit about my history. I came over to Windows phone from Android, a long time user. My first WP was the 920, while not in love with it like others I really liked it. I dropped that phone in a parking one day, and needed a replacement. At the time, the 925 was only a few months old on att, so I picked it up. Did great for about a year, really loved the phone, except for the small screen. Water damaged that phone, picked up a 520 til I could afford something new. Hated it. Had it for a few months. Picked up a 1520 last November, liked it for a while till the phantom touch issue arose. After a few replacements, I couldn't stand the phone anymore, and sold it as my work stuck me with an iPhone that I absolutely hated.

Finally here I was waiting for taxes to pick up a 930. Sick of waiting, I convinced my wife for my birthday to let me get an 830. Blown away. I love it. With all the bad stuff I have read about this phone, it has completely surpassed any expectations I had.

gmfeld

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I agree, I think its a solid device. A lot of the negative stuff written about it when it came out was its price. Other than that, it has worked fine for me coming off the HTC 8X. There is some issue with BT and Wi-fi when I have more than one BT profile set up. Hoping ATT will some day give us the full Denim update, but when I asked the other day I was told they have no information on that, so its a long way away.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I agree. Both my wife and I came from a 920 and then switched to the 830 when it came out. I know I could get a flagship if I waited some more time, but we are extremely happy with this.

L0cke

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm thinking of getting this phone. I currently have a Nexus 5, and looking to get a Windows phone. I think for what I do with the phone this should be more than enough, and the size and look is what I want. I just don't know if it will hold up in performance after a year or so from now.

@BSobotta: What android phone(s) have you come from and how do the Camera's compare?

BSobotta

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I had the G1, Moment, Epic, Incredible 2, Droid 3, and HTC Rezound. Camera wise? None of them really could touch this. But the newest one of those is from 2012.

Performance a year or so from now? It's hard to say. Coming from the super snappy 1520, and using an iPhone 6 I currently do not notice a performance difference, but in all reality, I don't use the most demanding apps.

As it stands now, Everything runs fine. Also, I'm assuming W10 will handle 4 cores better than WP8. 3rd party apps are any bodies guess.

ShaneRay

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
I agree. The phone has been great. Yes, it is/was overpriced and It's not perfect, but overall the experience has been great and would recommend it.

As for performance down the road, I don't think there's any worry there. I still have a 520 that runs everything as well (or nearly so) as the day it was released. You don't need to worry about the OS and third party apps seem to do OK at optimization...not all, but most.

Basiluzzo

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
I had the G1, Moment, Epic, Incredible 2, Droid 3, and HTC Rezound. Camera wise? None of them really could touch this. But the newest one of those is from 2012.

Performance a year or so from now? It's hard to say. Coming from the super snappy 1520, and using an iPhone 6 I currently do not notice a performance difference, but in all reality, I don't use the most demanding apps.

As it stands now, Everything runs fine. Also, I'm assuming W10 will handle 4 cores better than WP8. 3rd party apps are any bodies guess.

I moved to my L830 from an iPhone 5. That phone was getting sluggish, so the 830 was a big improvement. I'm very happy with it, though there are a few frustrations that I hope will be addressed in W10, and performance issues that would be solved in a nextgen flagship phone. (Particularly in rendering web pages - often very slow.) Hopefully when I'm ready to upgrade again there will be more choices, because I'm very happy with the winphone paradigm and mostly happy with my 830. My husband just got an iPhone 6 and I have to tell you it is much faster ... which is why I look forward to a true winphone flagship being released.

BSobotta

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I moved to my L830 from an iPhone 5. That phone was getting sluggish, so the 830 was a big improvement. I'm very happy with it, though there are a few frustrations that I hope will be addressed in W10, and performance issues that would be solved in a nextgen flagship phone. (Particularly in rendering web pages - often very slow.) Hopefully when I'm ready to upgrade again there will be more choices, because I'm very happy with the winphone paradigm and mostly happy with my 830. My husband just got an iPhone 6 and I have to tell you it is much faster ... which is why I look forward to a true winphone flagship being released.
I just don't see the speed difference. From opening texts to loading WebPages, it's nearly identical. Also, when I opened fox news website side by side, it loaded correctly on my 830, while it looked funny on my iPhone. Not saying it is faster, but from when I'm doing, it's negligible. Now if you are talking games in sure that's a whole different can of worms.

furkanavshar

Jun 7, 2014
Visit site
Lumia 830 is the best WP model in the WP ecosystem. I've used L930 for about 1 month and now I have L1520. I used L830 for 1 week. And I should say, L830 is the best and optimal Lumia for -overall comparison-. True story.

TonyF64

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
I bought the 1520 on contract when it came out. I cannot stand the phantom screen issues and it is still just a little too big for me. So I bought a 830 on ebay and love it. The size is just right and design is excellent.

BSobotta

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I bought the 1520 on contract when it came out. I cannot stand the phantom screen issues and it is still just a little too big for me. So I bought a 830 on ebay and love it. The size is just right and design is excellent.

Exact same issue I had.

darkest.white

May 12, 2013
Visit site

Same issues I had. Omg. Just got my 930 yesterday :) same build style and quality of a 830. And its amazing. Love all the metal

Ejay Lozano

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
I just wished the L830 had the charging port down below, that's my old complaint I have about the device. Camera's great, expandable memory, snappy, and doesn't insanely overheat like the high ends Lumia's.

BigDvr6

Feb 27, 2015
Visit site
I came from a Nexus 5 which i really enjoyed, but i love the 830, Yes the screen is only 720 but it looks amazing, the camera is fantastic, and the overall package runs really well, plus it last's a lot longer on charge than the N5 did.

BSobotta

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I just wished the L830 had the charging port down below, that's my old complaint I have about the device. Camera's great, expandable memory, snappy, and doesn't insanely overheat like the high ends Lumia's.

After having a 925 for a year, I prefer it on top. I have actually read reviews that list it as a con, yet I PREFER it. ha ha.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077