Lumia 830 or Lumia 640 XL

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
No, it will make deference as Lumia 640XL has bigger sensor size than Lumia 830 right under lumia 930 size - MP count will help - f-number/aperture more than lumia 830 which means it will collect more light so the low light photos must be better than Lumia 830. in the other hand Lumia 830 has 6 optics - PureView - slightly better by 2mm focal length - video recording with 3 Mics. But we have to wait till there is Camera comparison between both to decide maybe 640Xl will win (the main camera options is there bigger sensor - more MP counts - f-number/aperture). Also Lumia 640 wins in battery life and front facing camera and I think it has also wireless charging look at these 4 dots also look at the case it has wireless charging like the one Lumia 830 has. So if you look in the general the Lumia 640XL I think will better camera as the still photos has bigger sensor, more MP counts and more f-number/aperture for the video yes mics will make difference but we so it with old Lumias and even old Nokias it will not be too bad. So we will wait till there is comparison. View attachment 99453View attachment 99454

Not necessarily true. The low light performance on my Lumia 830 is slightly better than that of my Lumia 1520 despite the differences you mentioned.

​Doubt the 640XL will have wireless charging unless Microsoft completely neglected to mention that feature.

Mohamed Ashid

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Not necessarily true. The low light performance on my Lumia 830 is slightly better than that of my Lumia 1520 despite the differences you mentioned.

​Doubt the 640XL will have wireless charging unless Microsoft completely neglected to mention that feature.

Wireless charging is said to come later like the 1020, where they released a wireless charging case later on.

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Yes it does!

Only question is if it is "full" CBD -- iirc the 635 is the one that had a "half" CBD. [Still better than nothing, but not quite the real thing.]

I wouldn't count on wireless back coming later. Maybe it will, maybe it won't. They haven't even mentioned a promise to break yet, just idle rumor at this point.

Interesting about the camera - stunned that it is appreciably bigger than the 830's. Good aperture. The OIS will be the 830's counter to that, I assume. At the 640XL price point, still very nice camera specs.

Wessam Hussien

Sep 7, 2014
Visit site

On the contrary, your comparison between Lumia 1520 and Lumia 830 prove that I'm right, Look Lumia 1520 has f/2.4 and Lumia 830 has f/2.2 so this means that Lumia 830 Low light image will be slightly better as you mentioned, as it will collect more light than Lumia 1520, so this means that the Lumia 640 XL will collect more light with it's f/2.0 which means better low light images than Lumia 830. Samsung S6 is collecting more light than Lumia 930 in video comparison was mentioned about OIS in wmpoweruser. as it has f/1.9 so I'm hoping that the next Lumia 940 or Lumia 1030 will has f/1.6 or f/1.4.

About wireless charging they didn't mention that on lumia 720 but it accept wireless charging cover why not Lumia 640 XL. Have a look at Lumia 820 which has also the 4 dots inside the phone and the wireless charging shell for Lumia 820 111.jpg shell.jpghas the 4 dots also which means that Lumia 640XL might get the cover itself with built in wireless charging not like Lumia 925 cover on the original frame of the phone. It was mentioned on Nokians france and wmpoweruser that because of the 4 dots will support wireless charging.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
On the contrary, your comparison between Lumia 1520 and Lumia 830 prove that I'm right, Look Lumia 1520 has f/2.4 and Lumia 830 has f/2.2 so this means that Lumia 830 Low light image will be slightly better as you mentioned, as it will collect more light than Lumia 1520, so this means that the Lumia 640 XL will collect more light with it's f/2.0 which means better low light images than Lumia 830. Samsung S6 is collecting more light than Lumia 930 in video comparison was mentioned about OIS in wmpoweruser. as it has f/1.9 so I'm hoping that the next Lumia 940 or Lumia 1030 will has f/1.6 or f/1.4.

About wireless charging they didn't mention that on lumia 720 but it accept wireless charging cover why not Lumia 640 XL. Have a look at Lumia 820 which has also the 4 dots inside the phone and the wireless charging shell for Lumia 820 View attachment 99475 View attachment 99476has the 4 dots also which means that Lumia 640XL might get the cover itself with built in wireless charging not like Lumia 925 cover on the original frame of the phone. It was mentioned on Nokians france and wmpoweruser that because of the 4 dots will support wireless charging.

Sorry, I meant my 920... went to a 1520 after it and then an 830. f/2.0 aperture on the 920 but the 830 generally has a slight advantage in low light.

You make solid comparisons though.

white_Shadoww

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
Sorry, I meant my 920... went to a 1520 after it and then an 830. f/2.0 aperture on the 920 but the 830 generally has a slight advantage in low light.

That very well maybe the new Denim algorithms that 920 didn't get. Maybe you should try video recording.

Wessam Hussien

Sep 7, 2014
Visit site

So as white_Shadoww said do you have Denim in your Lumia 920 as the low light and daylight photos must be boosted from Cyan.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
No, my Lumia 830 did not receive the full Denim update yet. I don't know if maybe the half-baked version of Denim the Lumia 830 came with out-of-the-box processes photos differently than Cyan, but there are a couple of comparisons online that also show the 830's low-light performance to be marginally better.

It could also be that the 830's OIS yields slightly better low-light results than the 920's.

It's probably splitting hairs anyway. I'm curious to see how the 640XL will perform.

Vicente A George

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
It will depend on what are looking for... The 640XL is a refresh for the 1320 is like a way bigger version of the 620... Meanwhile the 830 is a mid to high end model... The two has the same resolution but even the 830 I'd not that sharp at 720p (I have one in my hand right now) so the XL will have even less detail, also the 830 had better possessor and aesthetics. For the camera department, that XL had the better front camera, no question but for rear camera is a meter of preference, the XL will probably be like the Nokia N8 camera (great camera but like a point and shoot) while the 830 even with the 2mp less have the OIS and like the high end Lumias is capable of gives you RAW out DNG files to have better photos for work in a PC.

ermeru

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site
This is my first post hehehe :D (welcomee) anyway..

I think u're forget something about screen button. I love 830 design but we rolling in selfies age. :D so XL will come to my country after 10-20 days. I could not find a very sharp details or omissions.

Maybe +3MP equivalent to Purewiev.. Go XL u can beat it.

ermeru

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site
It is great question right? :D what if Lumia cam isn't come to XL.. Lumia cam 5 opening in 0.2 sec. But Classic lumia cam.. Like the last sleep. Somebody should tell about this situation

Last edited:

ermeru

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site
Not really, PureView is ahead of the only Carl Zeiss optics camera on the XL.But for the price, the XL does look like a great product

Right.. I searched N8 (12MP) and Lumia 830 comparison, when I saw both photos I noticed many difference.. You are soo right

bokchoy1

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Lumia 830 strengths:

• more internal storage (both take SD cards but internal storage is faster and more reliable)
  • display with higher pixel density
  • dedicated camera button
  • OIS (for better low-light pictures and less jerky video)
  • stereo/surround sound recording
  • gyroscope (I've personally had a lot of trouble with panoramic photos on gyroscope-less phones)
  • built-in wireless charging
  • body design and materials
  • dual-band wifi

Lumia 640XL strengths:

• larger battery (presumably longer-lasting based on similar specs)
  • dual-sim variant available
  • front camera resolution
  • rear camera resolution (megapixels are no guarantee of quality - e.g. the iPhone 6 and Nexus 4 both have 8mp cameras but most people would say the iPhone takes far better photos)

There's got to be additional cost-cutting somewhere. My bet is on features like an oleophobic screen coating, multiple mics, the quality of the ClearBlack display, etc. that historically are absent from or not good in the 6XX range.

Your personal preference:

• larger (640XL) vs. smaller (830) screen size
  • on-screen buttons (640XL) vs. capacitive (830)

ermeru

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site
Lumia 830 strengths:

• more internal storage (both take SD cards but internal storage is faster and more reliable)
  • display with higher pixel density
  • dedicated camera button
  • OIS (for better low-light pictures and less jerky video)
  • stereo/surround sound recording
  • gyroscope (I've personally had a lot of trouble with panoramic photos on gyroscope-less phones)
  • built-in wireless charging
  • body design and materials
  • dual-band wifi

Lumia 640XL strengths:

• larger battery (presumably longer-lasting based on similar specs)
  • dual-sim variant available
  • front camera resolution
  • rear camera resolution (megapixels are no guarantee of quality - e.g. the iPhone 6 and Nexus 4 both have 8mp cameras but most people would say the iPhone takes far better photos)

There's got to be additional cost-cutting somewhere. My bet is on features like an oleophobic screen coating, multiple mics, the quality of the ClearBlack display, etc. that historically are absent from or not good in the 6XX range.

Your personal preference:

• larger (640XL) vs. smaller (830) screen size
  • on-screen buttons (640XL) vs. capacitive (830)

What if i look other 5MP Lumia cameras like Lumia 535 both of them same lens or same thing ? I mean same quality of XL front cam ?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb