When will AT&T Lumia 830 get PROPER Denim update?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
and that's a big thing, you'd assume a device would be supported in full during it's initial warranty period (from launch date at least)

Andrew Fratkin

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
I received a call on from AT&T to discuss the BBB claim I submitted. The rep said she had gotten a few of these recently for the Lumia 830.

I was basically given two choices, turn the phone in and I will not be responsible for the remaining payments but I will get nothing for the $187.50 in payments I already made, or trade the phone in for another phone and they will credit me the payments I've already made towards the new phone and I would be responsible for the balance.

I told I'd think about it over the weekend and call them next week.

BioTurboNick

Jul 1, 2015
Visit site
Talked again to AT&T tech support. They're *still* saying that it is currently being rolled out to batches of IMEIs. What an achingly slow rollout! Though I have no idea who to trust, everyone is saying something different.

NoMacDroid

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
I sent a letter to AT&T's legal department on 8/21 informing them that I intend to submit a claim for binding arbitration on the 830 not getting Denim. AT&T says they will respond to me within 30 days and perhaps make an offer before I actually submit the claim to the third party. Go to one of my previous posts on this thread for more info on how to file a claim. It's going to be more legally binding than the BBB. But the outcome is not guaranteed.

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
I spoke with the AT&T rep again and they are just reiterating their position that I am SOL and they are doing nothing and have zero intention of settling my claim. I wish you good luck and I hope you are able to wrestle a few shickles from their greedy, penny pinching fingers.
The rep didn't care about losing customers. I guess not settling is more important to them than retaining their customer base. A move I find very short sighted.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I spoke with the AT&T rep again and they are just reiterating their position that I am SOL and they are doing nothing and have zero intention of settling my claim. I wish you good luck and I hope you are able to wrestle a few shickles from their greedy, penny pinching fingers.

sorry they didn't take a step towards a solution for you.
maybe you can sell your L830 for something that gets you closer to a refund.
cheers

hb2p

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I wrote the following review on MS's site for the 830. I was told it was approved, but now it is gone.

AT&T and an 830 is a bad combination
I am really annoyed that I purchased a phone that AT&T will not support with updates. The phone was sold by AT&T with an early release of Denim and as such is not eligible for the WIN10 update coming later this year. IF Microsoft would provide the updates for this phone my rating would change, otherwise I am really annoyed with both AT&T and Microsoft. Someone needs to step up to the plate and support customers that are keeping this eco-system alive.

chas488

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
They did the same for mine but they would not post it,said it was disapproved. I also got an email from them about how great win 10 was going to be and check if you got denim installed.
I sent it back with the same post.i have been on them like a nat in there face for a long time.

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
sorry they didn't take a step towards a solution for you.
maybe you can sell your L830 for something that gets you closer to a refund.
cheers
Thanks. Verizon gave me $200.00 for it as a trade in and I figured I wasn't going to be able to do any better than that especially now that AT&T's 830s have an extra layer of taint on them. On top of screwing us on the update and possibly Win 10 they simultaneously lowered the resale value. Good work AT&T!

hb2p

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Do we know this for sure?

As of today Microsoft says, "Only phones running Lumia Denim (OS version 8.10.14219.341, or higher) can take advantage of the upgrade to Windows 10. By keeping your phone software updated you can get fresh new features and improvements, and resolve many issues. You can check your current software release from Settings > extras+info, and the current OS version from Settings > about > more information. Read more about Lumia Denim Update."

[url]https://forums.windowscentral.com/e?link=https%3A%2F%2Fclick.linksynergy.com%2Fdeeplink%3Fid%3DkXQk6%252AivFEQ%26mid%3D24542%26u1%3DUUwpUvbUpU3205907%26murl%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.microsoft.com%252Fen-us%252Fmobile%252Fsupport%252Ffaq%252F%253Faction%253DsingleTopic%2526topic%253DFA144485&token=Lna-WvLw
[/URL]

chas488

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
I have the Nokia 830 RM-983_1001. I got this phone from Microsoft for free but had to go with ATT 2 year contract.
It has OS version 8.10.14219.341 on it. I put Win 10 beta on it for a short time but was to unstable and use the Nokia recover tool to put it back to 8.1. I heard that some have use windows insider to put the 8.1 update 2 but said you had to set to the slow ring to get it then delete the app before it get to the win 10 update. Fast ring would take you right to win 10. Now would I be able to get the update with this software ver?

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Thanks. Verizon gave me $200.00 for it as a trade in and I figured I wasn't going to be able to do any better than that especially now that AT&T's 830s have an extra layer of taint on them. On top of screwing us on the update and possibly Win 10 they simultaneously lowered the resale value. Good work AT&T!

I just looked at AT&T's buy back offers for the Lumia 830. For the RM-983, they are currently offering up to $35. For the RM-985, up to $110. For the RM-984, up to $150. I'm sure the fact that they normally carry the RM-983 in their inventory may factor into the the offer pricing, but that still seems like a very big discrepancy between different versions of the 830.

Gilbriem

Jun 19, 2015
Visit site
As I suspected, BBB complaints would be handled differently with varying results. I have been told that I cannot get a refund. Interestingly enough, I got a call form the same AT&T Executive office rep who I had previously dealt with prior to trying the BBB route. He is sticking to his guns.

However, he has offered me an option to exchange the 830 for something else that they offer. So, my question for the masses is if I should consider this offer. That limits me to either the 640XL or the 635 if I stay with WP. Are either of those worthwhile options? I have until Monday to decide.

I been meaning to provide an update to this fiasco...

It turns out that their offer was as bad as everything else they have done so far. His idea of an exchange was far different than mine. It seems that he was expecting me to simply accept the $250 phone as a replacement for the $450 one and call it even. After all, my 830 is "used" and the 640XL would be "brand new." Apparently eight months use of a somewhat defective 830 is worth $200 in their minds. I guess my future business is not worth taht much to them. Go figure.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
they tried something similar a few years back with my defective HTC Titan (Windows Phone 7, 5 exchanges, lemon law kicked in at 3 in Florida)
They had "no equivalents" and offered low end android devices. Told them they were nuts as they had the Lumia 900 and Titan 2, so there were equivalents in stock.

7 days later, I had a new Lumia 900 in hand, and they didn't want the Titan back.

My point? expecting an equal value exchange would be tough, but an equivalent exchange based on specs is more than possible.

I wish AT&T or Microsoft would just give us an official answer on this.

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
I been meaning to provide an update to this fiasco...

It turns out that their offer was as bad as everything else they have done so far. His idea of an exchange was far different than mine. It seems that he was expecting me to simply accept the $250 phone as a replacement for the $450 one and call it even. After all, my 830 is "used" and the 640XL would be "brand new." Apparently eight months use of a somewhat defective 830 is worth $200 in their minds. I guess my future business is not worth taht much to them. Go figure.
According to the rep I spoke with they apparently don't care if they lose customers. When I asked them directly about losing customers they offered no response. I also said to them that I expected the bean counters figured in x amount of lost customers to their "business plan" of not publishing the update. Again, no response. I wonder what kind of people can do a job like that, where all you do is **** people off all day...

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
they tried something similar a few years back with my defective HTC Titan (Windows Phone 7, 5 exchanges, lemon law kicked in at 3 in Florida)
They had "no equivalents" and offered low end android devices. Told them they were nuts as they had the Lumia 900 and Titan 2, so there were equivalents in stock.

7 days later, I had a new Lumia 900 in hand, and they didn't want the Titan back.

My point? expecting an equal value exchange would be tough, but an equivalent exchange based on specs is more than possible.

I wish AT&T or Microsoft would just give us an official answer on this.
I got my "official" answer from AT&T. Pee up a rope. Microsoft also offered me no hope of any satisfaction either. MS needs to address this carrier based BS though. This is getting old.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
I got my "official" answer from AT&T. Pee up a rope. Microsoft also offered me no hope of any satisfaction either. MS needs to address this carrier based BS though. This is getting old.

while they seem to have not helped at all.... it would be awesome if "pee up a rope" was the actual answer submitted to the BBB. That would be a PR nightmare.

What I hate is that the people asked are NOT the ones with the answer, and there is no way to find the person with the actual answer.

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
while they seem to have not helped at all.... it would be awesome if "pee up a rope" was the actual answer submitted to the BBB. That would be a PR nightmare.

What I hate is that the people asked are NOT the ones with the answer, and there is no way to find the person with the actual answer.
And they have no intention of providing us the answer. If they "officially" state that no update will be forthcoming then all their "settled" BBB cases would be back in play. My rep was still telling me that there was no timetable for the update, not that it was killed, which I believe is a blatant lie. I expect nothing but silence. I'm still going to see if I can drag it out a bit more. Any pain I can inflict on them, no matter how insignificant, will be worth it.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
And they have no intention of providing us the answer. If they "officially" state that no update will be forthcoming then all their "settled" BBB cases would be back in play. My rep was still telling me that there was no timetable for the update, not that it was killed, which I believe is a blatant lie. I expect nothing but silence. I'm still going to see if I can drag it out a bit more. Any pain I can inflict on them, no matter how insignificant, will be worth it.

yeah, that's the disappointing part. When companies get too big, it becomes too exhausting to find the right people to actually help with a problem and the ones assigned to help have a script to read from and can't really deviate from that.

off to annoy AT&T on some social media site again :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans