Weak Location / GPS signal - RM-984 (international unlocked)

poots1101

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I have the unlocked international version of the Lumia 830 (RM-984). This is my first windows phone since I had the 1020, and while at work it seems that the location / GPS has a difficult time finding me. i understand at work the walls might be interfering but:

1). i don't recall the 1020 having issues, and
2) my moto x (2014) finds me much more accurately.

Right now the 830 thinks i'm two blocks west and a block north. Also, while i am in an office building, i'm literally 10 feet away from a window. I'm not sure if there is anything I can do to fix it, or if i'm outta luck. the one thing that it impacts is the cortana reminder to leave work...since the phone doesn't think i'm at my saved location (via maps), it doesn't remind me to leave since i'm not there.

everywhere else GPS / location works as expected.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I have the unlocked international version of the Lumia 830 (RM-984). This is my first windows phone since I had the 1020, and while at work it seems that the location / GPS has a difficult time finding me. i understand at work the walls might be interfering but:

1). i don't recall the 1020 having issues, and
2) my moto x (2014) finds me much more accurately.

Right now the 830 thinks i'm two blocks west and a block north. Also, while i am in an office building, i'm literally 10 feet away from a window. I'm not sure if there is anything I can do to fix it, or if i'm outta luck. the one thing that it impacts is the cortana reminder to leave work...since the phone doesn't think i'm at my saved location (via maps), it doesn't remind me to leave since i'm not there.

everywhere else GPS / location works as expected.

I also have the same observations (with my L1020) and with my L535. I'm suspecting that the difference in accuracy in positional readings lies in the difference in hardware, i.e. different GPS/GLONASS receivers - the sensitivity could have been decreased to increase battery life in the L830 (and in the L535 in my case).

As for constantly detecting a wrong position (two blocks west and a block north), this could be caused by the fact that your phone is storing your most common locations and that it refers to that stored data when it cannot determine your position accurately (in addition to cellular site triangulation). Unfortunately, your phone might have stored a location that is several blocks away so it's referring to that data point. This could be the reason for the discrepancy for your office.

[TIP]You could attempt to over-write the stored data by staying in an open place that is near your office, and then launching any GPS app (Maps would do) and ensure that your location is detected properly. Do this frequently to "train" your phone in recognizing that you are in that location frequently.[/TIP]

[INFO]Standing near a window won't help that much since GPS/GLONASS works by triangulation, ideally by at least three satellites that 120 degrees from each other relative to your position, for a total of 360 degrees (viewed from the top in Euclidean space). A window would at most provide 180 degrees of a view factor (unless you're outside the window). This means that your position would mostly likely be biased towards the direction of the opening of the window extrapolated by several meters - if your window is facing west, then your reported position might be several meters west of your actual position.[/INFO]

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720