Which region to flash for Denim now (AT&T)?

coolbreeze78

Nov 11, 2004
Visit site
First off, I'm not scared of flashing my phone to change the country/region. Did it to my 930 to get Finland Denim, so all good there.

I have an AT&T 830. Tired of waiting on them so I'm ready to convert it properly.

Which product and country code is the best? I know with the 930 it was Scandinavia/Finland.

Thanks.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
First off, I'm not scared of flashing my phone to change the country/region. Did it to my 930 to get Finland Denim, so all good there.

I have an AT&T 830. Tired of waiting on them so I'm ready to convert it properly.

Which product and country code is the best? I know with the 930 it was Scandinavia/Finland.

Thanks.

you need to find a rom for a RM-983. you may loose some bands (e.g. LTE) and internet sharing (at least that's what got screwed when we flashed L920's to non ATT roms). Maybe qi charging will be affected.

check settings/extras+info, scroll down and see if you have RM-985 or RM-983 (which I think you have)

For RM-983 looks like it's all ATT though.

For the RM-985 you can flash roms from Canada (e.g. Rogers) and other

edit: ok, I remembered pankaj informed me that the ATT cannot be flashed to anything but itself.

Last edited:

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Oh. That settles it. Oh well. New 10 image on the way I guess so that will work.
unfortunately, that will not solve the Lumia Camera problem. That is firmware related and even if you update to W10, you won't be able to enjoy the pure view capabilities of the camera that MS promised us since Nov 14

PiggyMiddle

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
The 830 msoft special deal arrived yesterday and has two camera apps. One called Camera and the other Nokia Camera.

Is there yet another camera app coming with the full Denim? Or does this 830 from msoft have the full Denim already? Our other 830 only has the one Camera app listed in Settings.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
First of all sorry for the probably "complicated" answer.

I think you are from the US and the 830 you got from MS is a County variant US or an At&t version. Both of them will not have the full Denim.
To see which version you have go to EXTAS+info and check under "mobile operator"
If you see some thing like 000-US then you have the country variant from America and if you see at&t or something like that you have the AT&T version.
And in below like you can see if DENIM is available (but at the moment DENIM is not available.

You say you just have gotten the phone and you see an Nokia Camera.
Probably there are still a lot of app updates available for phone.

Now MS made the camera apps "complicated"
For the 830 after you updated all the apps (but not included the full DENIM) you should have the following camera apps.

Lumia Camera Classic ( if you do not have it you can down load it from the store)
The 830, 930/ICON and the 1520 can get the Lumia Camera (version 5) and with this you get extra camera features but you need to have the full Denim first.

Other phones do not have the Lumia Camera Classic but have the Lumia Camera ( version 4.something)

To "prevent" confusion the 830 camera app was called Lumia Camera Classic because if it was called Lumia Camera then it was not clear which one you would have the version 5 (with extra features or the version 4 (with out the extra features).

You still with me?

But before that the Lumia Camera app was called Nokia Camera but this was changed to Lumia Camera after Microsoft bought the phone part of Nokia. (just a name change)

Now there is also a photo app which was called Microsoft Camera and now is called Camera this was the stock camera which came with the windows OS but Nokia added there camera apps.

So my best guess is that for your old 830 you can download the Lumia Classic Camera and for your new phone after you update the apps the Lumia Camera Classic will appear and if not you can also download it from the store.
And after the full DENIM you can use the Lumia Camera (5). It is probably already possible to download this Lumia Camera but you will get a failure message if you want to use it. ("need update")

Hope this makes it somewhat clear if not please let me know.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
The AT&T version cannot be flashed to a non RM-983 ROM. If you're using the RM-985 unlocked variant from Microsoft store on AT&T then it can be currently flashed to quite a few ROMs now to get Denim

PiggyMiddle

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
@Harrie: Thanks, to clear a couple of points, the first thing I did was to hook up to wifi and check for updates. There were none. This is an RM-985 which is the Americas, 000-US variant. Both phones are identical other than the older one was made in September 2014 and this one in October 2014.

Other than the missing camera app on the older one, they are set up the same.

As I have mentioned, I am not interested in flashing the ROM with anything, so it is wait for the full denim or nothing. having almost a thousand bucks worth of bricks is not something I relish. :) I know it has been said, "rarely happens," but rarely is too frequent for me. Also, someone suggested maybe losing LTE by flashing another variant ROM. Our carrier is T-Mo so LTE is important to have.

I/we will wait patiently for the official update, but, just whine a little about the waiting. :D

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
@Harrie: Thanks, to clear a couple of points, the first thing I did was to hook up to wifi and check for updates. There were none. This is an RM-985 which is the Americas, 000-US variant. Both phones are identical other than the older one was made in September 2014 and this one in October 2014.

As I have mentioned, I am not interested in flashing the ROM with anything, so it is wait for the full denim or nothing. having almost a thousand bucks worth of bricks is not something I relish. :) I know it has been said, "rarely happens," but rarely is too frequent for me. Also, someone suggested maybe losing LTE by flashing another variant ROM. Our carrier is T-Mo so LTE is important to have.

I/we will wait patiently for the official update, but, just whine a little about the waiting. :D

Okay, let me clear some doubts here. Its more likely to run into a bad update via OTA than flashing a ROM. Flashing a ROM is very safe till you know what you are doing. That requires a lot of reading and patience. Plus the RM-985 ROM for all the variants including the 000-US variant all come unbranded so they are visually the same. Infact, I have used the Brazil ROM, Claro ROM, Mexico ROM, 000-US ROM, Rogers CA ROM on my original 000-US RM-985, all of them seem to work fine. The LTE bands on all of the variants are exactly the same so as long as you are flashing an RM-985 ROM you are not losing anything. MS has truly been slow this time, not sure why the delay when the Brazil variants started receiving the update almost 3 weeks ago. Looks like you want to wait for the OTA, good thing. But that doesn't guarantee that the update would be seamless. I updated to Denim while on the Rogers ROM and it was slow...I mean slower than my 000-US ROM, even after a hard reset. I had to wait a few days till I could see the new Denim ROM on Nokia's servers again and has to reflash, everything is working smooth, actually better than the OTA.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site

Okay if you still want the Lumia Camera Classic here is the link
Lumia Camera Classic | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

I do not want to talk it good how long it takes for Microsoft to provide updates.
But in your case (presuming you are not a real big photo taking fan) the full denim does not provide "that" much.
It will enable the Lumia Camera 5 but you still can take pictures without this app.
It will enable "data connection" in the notification center.
It will enable that if, you put the battery saver on your start screen that, you will see your actual battery level "live" so every % usage you will see on the start screen.
Some "standard" improvements probably.

And if you do not want to flash ROM's I totally understand it because the phones are yours . I bye the way also never flashed a ROM.

PiggyMiddle

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
Thanks to all, but, it should be noted that I **only** bought this 830 for the improved camera to replace my 520. I was quite happy with the 520, except for the really crappy camera. I had thought of getting a 920 or 925 but jumped on the special $249-deal and got the 830.

@Harries: I seriously doubt that flashing a ROM is safer than using the msoft Denim update when/if it arrives. I have been a software developer for 40+ years and while msoft programmers have not been the best in the World, they ALSO wrote the all of the other NON-carrier branded updates. Why would the US version be any different other than a few localizations. I suspect msoft is holding off as the msoft variant could be flashed onto AT&T phones and they are just being nice to AT&T by waiting until they release their Denim first.

Just a guess, but I don't care, why, when or how, but, I am waiting. :)

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I suspect msoft is holding off as the msoft variant could be flashed onto AT&T phones and they are just being nice to AT&T by waiting until they release their Denim first.

I highly doubt that. The RM-983 has a different hardware config than the RM-985 from Microsoft, you'll end up having FFU errors so cross flashing a RM-983 on a RM-985 is out of question. Yes I do agree that MS could be holding off the update till AT&T releases it for its own variant first.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa