Should I buy a One Plus One or a Lumia 830?

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I have to laugh at all the "One Plus One FTW!!!" style comments with no explanation as to why it's the better option yet everyone who said the Lumia 830 has managed to give several reasons why it's the better option.

Athull

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
Afaik the Asus zenfone 2 won't get updates like the one plus one. And on top of that isn't it masked by a bloated asus zen ui??
Not at all. Zen UI is one of the best android skins in the market now and if u use it u will know that almost all the apps are useful and there is nxt to no useless bloat.
And Asus is having a great track record with updates on Zenfone series. Even the lowest specced Zenfone 4 will be getting Lollipop in Q2 this year and considering the hardware of Zenfone 2(and the expected popularity) u should get at least the next 2 major android releases.
Ofcse the best thing about android is that if u don't like Zen UI u can always flash a new UI or just install a stock launcher like Google Now or Nova.
And considering that One Plus One is now almost a year old and being a 32bit system, newer android releases and apps might not benefit it in the way it does to Zenfone.

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
Afaik the Asus zenfone 2 won't get updates like the one plus one. And on top of that isn't it masked by a bloated asus zen ui??

To be honest, i grow tired of the entire "waiting for my update" scenario. As inexpensive as good phones are getting these days, I plan on buying them with the next major update is already on the phone vs waiting for my carrier or whoever to bring it out.

K_Arora5

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
Not at all. Zen UI is one of the best android skins in the market now and if u use it u will know that almost all the apps are useful and there is nxt to no useless bloat.
And Asus is having a great track record with updates on Zenfone series. Even the lowest specced Zenfone 4 will be getting Lollipop in Q2 this year and considering the hardware of Zenfone 2(and the expected popularity) u should get at least the next 2 major android releases.
Ofcse the best thing about android is that if u don't like Zen UI u can always flash a new UI or just install a stock launcher like Google Now or Nova.
And considering that One Plus One is now almost a year old and being a 32bit system, newer android releases and apps might not benefit it in the way it does to Zenfone.
And would you recommend the design of the zenfone 2? It looks kinda broad to me than other 5.5 inch phones. And is the back of plastic or some other material?

Athull

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
And would you recommend the design of the zenfone 2? It looks kinda broad to me than other 5.5 inch phones. And is the back of plastic or some other material?

The bezels are on the larger end yes. But its not as bad as last generation Zenfone.
And there different textured back covers available. The regular one I believe is polycarbonate with metallic look.

heickelrrx

May 12, 2014
Visit site
830 is great devices. 10mp rear and premium design. Snapdragon 400 quite fast and 2gb Ram is plenty for WP.

Consider this. Lumia 930 has similar battery capacity with 830. But got snapdragon 800+ full HD resolution. While 830 got 720p and 400. The effect is a extremely great battery life on 830.

Oh yeah. Since 830 has glance screen maybe you will love it. Just be sure grab Denim update and it should be the best

Desynthesis

May 12, 2014
Visit site
As mentioned before, it depends on what you want.

The OnePlus One has much more power on the inside--it also needs it, due to the nature of Android. But that's not a bad thing, since not only will you have a lot more in the way of high-graphics games, they'll run better than if they were on WP. For daily use, though, the power isn't an advantage--even the most powerful Android handsets aren't particularly fluid, but that's a tiny difference (the actual difference in GUI matters way more).

Likewise, in terms of (free) software--no one beats Android. Of course, you'll also need to worry about malware, adware, and security in general much more.

Aesthetically, you'll need to make the decision your own.

If wireless charging matters to you--zero question. Get a Lumia 830--it has it, the other phone doesn't. End of story. Qi charging doesn't matter to me that much, but a few people are converts who couldn't live without it. Even I think it's pretty slick.

Storage space wise, also no contest--the 830 has a MicroSD card you can switch on the fly. The OnePlus One doesn't. The biggest (64 gb) handset is going to set you back more ($349.99), and is still going to be smaller than a 830 with a MicroSD card (so far, support is up to 128 gb cards).

That goes to cost--if that maters, the 830 is more expensive ($379.99) or cheaper ($279.99) depending on what version you get (though they're the same size). Likewise, some versions of the OnePlus One are more than $400.00. You'll need to do your research as it relates to what region you're in. So this is a bit of a toss-up.

The camera I'm not certain about--the OnePlus One has more video recording options (including 120FPS at 720p and normal speed for 4K), but the Lumia 830's pureview has better stabilization. But the OnePlus One has more megapixels, for what that's worth (13MP vs 10MP), and a better front facing camera. I think the OnePlus One wins in this area, but it's not clear to me either.

Battery wise, the 830 probably wins. Removable battery and its length of use is one of its most common praises. The OnePlus One has a removable back, kind of weirdly, since nothing is accessible through that, including changing the battery.

I think it comes down to what ecosystem you want--that's true for most handsest in the end of the day. If you want Android features, it's no contest, just as if you want WP features. They're both really nice phones, and if I was going to go Android, OnePlus One might be the way to go.

EDIT: Additionally, the 830 has glance--which is a great feature, and I wonder why Android doesn't immediately copy it (then again, not all Lumias have them either--the 930 doesn't). The OnePlus One has some Android specific features too, but nothing like that presently. Again, ecosystem.

Gaurav Chaudhary002

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
Thanks i will be getting a lumia 830 i just love the tiles, glance screen and the overall fluid system, no random crashes, camera wise lumia 830 beats one plus one. the things that i do are reading articles watching youtube and social networking and the 830 does all these things like a champ.
one plus one sells for 350 dollars in my country for the 64 GB variant and lumia 830 sells for about 300 dollars

Athull

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
Thanks i will be getting a lumia 830 i just love the tiles, glance screen and the overall fluid system, no random crashes, camera wise lumia 830 beats one plus one. the things that i do are reading articles watching youtube and social networking and the 830 does all these things like a champ.
one plus one sells for 350 dollars in my country for the 64 GB variant and lumia 830 sells for about 300 dollars

You could wait a little for the 640 XL though. Larger screen and an arguably better cam.

Zeblade

Mar 31, 2015
Visit site
I already have a very nice Android so I wanted something different.. got Android tablets blah blah blah. I love the 830.. if it was APPS and GAMES I was also looking at I would ....ME... would never go with a Windows Phone.

the post above (new to windows phone) the 830 has that what OIS or OSI that WOW really makes videos look as if your just standing taking them. The 640 does not have preview? Or what ever its called on the 830 and the like

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
What other phone on any platform gives you aesthetics this pleasing, built-in OIS, wireless charging, Glance Screen (or even an equivalent), expandable storage, removable battery, exchangeable back covers, and HAAC mics in one package? None that I know of.

Athull

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
I already have a very nice Android so I wanted something different.. got Android tablets blah blah blah. I love the 830.. if it was APPS and GAMES I was also looking at I would ....ME... would never go with a Windows Phone.

the post above (new to windows phone) the 830 has that what OIS or OSI that WOW really makes videos look as if your just standing taking them. The 640 does not have preview? Or what ever its called on the 830 and the like

Yes, 830 has OIS(Optical Image Stabilization) which counteracts shakes while taking picks or videos(helps especially in low light)
And its also a Pureview Carl Zeiss sensor.
The 640 XL is also a Carl Zeiss sensor but not pureview although its of higher res and could possibly deliver better images in daylight.

pratibhapar

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
I think, OnePlus One is the best for buying. This is an Android phone and at present time Android phone is more popular for use. It has 5.5 inch large display with Corning Gorilla Glass 3. And the big screen is useful for gaming and ebook purpose. It runs on Android v4.4.2 kitkat and Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 processor. The battery is 3100 mAh capacity. It offers good camera quality with 13 MP rear camera with dual LED flash and 5 MP front camera. And in Lumia 830, it offers 10 MP rear camera and 0.9 MP front camera, which is not compatible with it's offered price. The Lumia 830 is also a good phone, but this is very costly.

Rakesh Rocky2

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
I think, OnePlus One is the best for buying. This is an Android phone and at present time Android phone is more popular for use. It has 5.5 inch large display with Corning Gorilla Glass 3. And the big screen is useful for gaming and ebook purpose. It runs on Android v4.4.2 kitkat and Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 processor. The battery is 3100 mAh capacity. It offers good camera quality with 13 MP rear camera with dual LED flash and 5 MP front camera. And in Lumia 830, it offers 10 MP rear camera and 0.9 MP front camera, which is not compatible with it's offered price. The Lumia 830 is also a good phone, but this is very costly.

Do you really think 13mp camera is better than 10 mp camera of 830?? Lol

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
There's more to a good camera other than megapixels ...��

Exactly, I've always said that a camera is only as good as the photographer no matter the MP rating. Not only that but the Lumia 830 camera has much better low light performance than the One Plus One as well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon