Lumia 830 - ?199 - worth it?

sdc1

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm looking to move back to Windows phone after a spell away. It was the new 640 that got my attention.

I've now speed the 830 in Carphone Warehouse for ?199 sim free with a free Fitbit. This seems like quite a deal.

I'm now considering picking up an 830 rather than the 640. From 830 owners, would you buy it again? Is it worth buying at this stage?

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
I suggested a friend to buy the 830 and I would do it again.
You already compared the spec's so you know the "extras" you get with the 830 compared with the 640. (to me the build-in QI in the 830 is also a big advantage).
And the price of 199 ? (with fitbit) is indeed quite a deal.
I saw the 640 on amazon for 186.92 ? but if you sell the fitbit the 830 is even cheaper.

And even if the 640 comes with a year free office 365 and 1 TB cloud storage i still would go for the 830.

seventeenapg

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm looking to move back to Windows phone after a spell away. It was the new 640 that got my attention.

I've now speed the 830 in Carphone Warehouse for ?199 sim free with a free Fitbit. This seems like quite a deal.

I'm now considering picking up an 830 rather than the 640. From 830 owners, would you buy it again? Is it worth buying at this stage?

I have the 830 love it. You will have no regrets at ?199!!

BSobotta

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I would absolutely recommend it. I have no complaints. In all honesty it is the first Windows phone that has completely me all my needs.

I almost went with a 930, but am pretty happy I went with the 830. I really didn't want the heat issue the 930 had, and I didn't want the build of the 730. The 830 hit the mark.

PiggyMiddle

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
Let me answer this way. I just bought another one. My last one was stolen, still in the family, but I lost control of it. :) Had to go back to my 520 which is fine as a phone, but not as a camera/phone.

Do it. Awesome piece of equipment. Especially at that price.

sdc1

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
I'm going to pull the trigger tomorrow. I can get ?40 for the Fitbit and ?100 for my Moto G. Cost to change = ?60.

sdc1

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Just curious why are you switching from Android?

I originally switched from Android to Windows for the 920 through to the 1020 then back to Android when nothing running Windows grabbed my attention. There are a number of reasons why I want to switch back;

I prefer the overall look and feel of Windows phone. The live tiles and layout of the homescreen is much better, not just to look at but to live with as well.

The camera benefits of Pureview.

The upcoming Windows 10 release.

Developer Preview.

Onedrive integration and the ability to now store music on Onedrive. I have 1 terrabite of storage and currently all my photos are on there, I have my android auto upload to Onedrive also.

HERE Maps and Drive is better on Windows phone and the ability to reliably store and use offline maps is massive.

I know there are downsides as well. I will have no banking app and some apps I currently use aren't available, but it's not the end of the world. The overall Windows experience is better, I also want to support the platform. Last, but not least, my Moto G lags and I don't want to splash out ?500 on an Android flagship when I can get a solid midrange phone for under ?200.

BSobotta

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I originally switched from Android to Windows for the 920 through to the 1020 then back to Android when nothing running Windows grabbed my attention. There are a number of reasons why I want to switch back;

I prefer the overall look and feel of Windows phone. The live tiles and layout of the homescreen is much better, not just to look at but to live with as well.

The camera benefits of Pureview.

The upcoming Windows 10 release.

Developer Preview.

Onedrive integration and the ability to now store music on Onedrive. I have 1 terrabite of storage and currently all my photos are on there, I have my android auto upload to Onedrive also.

HERE Maps and Drive is better on Windows phone and the ability to reliably store and use offline maps is massive.

I know there are downsides as well. I will have no banking app and some apps I currently use aren't available, but it's not the end of the world. The overall Windows experience is better, I also want to support the platform. Last, but not least, my Moto G lags and I don't want to splash out ?500 on an Android flagship when I can get a solid midrange phone for under ?200.

Good reasoning. I love the platform. If I had ever switched back to Android it would have been to Moto as well.

PiggyMiddle

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
Just curious why are you switching from Android?

If I could jump in here as a current owner of a MotoX Developer's version ($400+) laying on a cupboard shelf and now used only as a Stop-Watch.

Other than the better (my personal view) user interface of the win platform, for me it was simple -- privacy. On commercial-grade Android, there are a bunch of google apps that cannot be uninstalled or turned off. Google own Motorola and there are a bunch of Motorola apps that cannot be uninstalled or turned off. Some can turn wifi on and off at will regardless of the Settings state. Most will be running in the background and un-stoppable in gathering and calling home when ever they feel like it.

Google insists that OEMs wanting to use Android with google apps, must agree to allowing all the google apps that google wants to have running. If the OEM wants to go it alone they can but it will mean no gmail, google-this, google-that etc. That leaves Cyanogenmod, currently the only clean Android option.

Google gives the users these free apps to gather data for them to monetize their existence and that's why the OEMs must have those apps in place. IF I was to ever go back to Android, after my Double-Lobotomy without anesthetic, : ) it would only be a PlusOne or PlusTwo, but even that's now dubious with the P1 company forking Cyanogen to their own Oxygen OS after Cyanogen messed with them. Who knows what google-like crap they may slip in. I hope they don't, but money is king in the business world these days. Long gone are the halcyon days of a "fair profit" trading mentality.

sdc1

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Google no longer own Moto, it's now owned by Lenovo.

Unfortunately, with Cortana, I see a MSFT in the near future that uses data in the same way as Google.

PiggyMiddle

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
Google no longer own Moto, it's now owned by Lenovo.

ooops, correct, I am old I forget stuff. :)

I suspect you are correct about msoft and I am convinced the change to win10 on everything will unleash a lot of valuable monetizing stuff for mosft. I think that's why they are giving everyone zillions of Bytes of free Cloud storage. Making the upgrade free to anyone and everyone from 7 up and I am sure they are not doing that just because they are nice people. LOL

I will be staying with current OS on all devices as long as is possible.

Last edited:

gMaesterUK

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
My partner brought me the 830 as a prezzie yesterday; as I was dithering whether to upgrade now, or wait until the Win10 phones come out. Obviously choice was made for me!

Have set it up today, but waiting for a nano sim to arrive from my carrier (GiffGaff). Hopefully next couple days.

As for the FitBit offer, you've got until the end of the month (1 more day) to purchase the phone, and it needs to be registered using the FitBit Gifts app by the 14th April.

I had the 820, so not too much of an upgrade, bar the size! My partner has a iPhone 6 and mine is slightly bigger! My 820 looks small now...
Graphics are crystal-clear compared to the 820. And as for the weight, I can barely feel it, it's that light!

As for MS turning into a Google, I seriously doubt that'll happen. Google's business plan is to know as much about you so they can profit from your information. MS profits from you using their products. Big difference...

G.

Last edited:

PiggyMiddle

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
MS profits from you using their products.

Don't listen to the msoft shills. Msoft is giving most stuff away. Terabytes of free storage, apps on Android and others, Office free on some tablets that equate to getting a tablet for $-20.00. Not a sustainable business model. Money has to come from somewhere.

IF msoft were as serious about it as you feel they are, then why do they not have peer to peer encryption with the Keys staying on my PCs? Oh, wait, they can't sell encrypted data.

If only SpiderOak would get off their lazy tushes and fix their desktop software I would be a paying customer - again. But, while any Cloud offer does not include P2P encryption with Keys only on my PC, then it is not a free offer. :)

gMaesterUK

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Don't listen to the msoft shills. Msoft is giving most stuff away. Terabytes of free storage, apps on Android and others, Office free on some tablets that equate to getting a tablet for $-20.00. Not a sustainable business model. Money has to come from somewhere.

IF msoft were as serious about it as you feel they are, then why do they not have peer to peer encryption with the Keys staying on my PCs? Oh, wait, they can't sell encrypted data.

If only SpiderOak would get off their lazy tushes and fix their desktop software I would be a paying customer - again. But, while any Cloud offer does not include P2P encryption with Keys only on my PC, then it is not a free offer. :)

Microsoft, like any business uses loss-leaders, a way of hooking a customer into using their product/service, and then upselling them with an aim to make the customer 'sticky'. You mentioned MS give Office away for free on some tablets, that's usually only free for the first year, then a subscription is needed thereafter. As for cross platform, as much as MS would like everyone to use MS products on a Win PC, that's not happening, so you might have a CEO working on a document on his MS PC, and then continuing it on his iPad, before working on it on his MacBook at home. MS need to make sure that people are using MS services at least.

Whereas Google, doesn't (for the most part) charge for it's services, but instead data-mines your data to sell you more 'relevant' ads! Thus make Google money...

I sort of agree with you about encryption, but I don't see any of the major storage players changing policy anytime soon...

G.

PiggyMiddle

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
I understand the reasoning behind the msoft stated theory, but you may be surprised t find that they are already doing stuff with 3rd parties. First off, read their EULA and their Privacy statements. In those you will find mention of "selected partners" and terms similar to that. If you use Cortana and book a flight with one of the major airlines, you will get departure time updates direct from that airline company.

The main problems with data "sharing" comes with Apps. One should VERY carefully read and understand the permission they give up to run an App. Msoft and most App developers will use items in the Permissions (This app requires) section to mine data. While not a direct "sale," msoft are no less eager to take control of Used ID, Calendar, Microphone etc.

LOL, I know they are not scanning mine !!

I sort of agree with you about encryption, but I don't see any of the major storage players changing policy anytime soon...

I think that is the single biggest indicator of "trust us, we are not scanning your data." :)

I know they are not scanning mine !!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb