Why is my Lumia 830 glance screen leave a subtle impression on the LCD?

Luminator55

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
My glance screen stays on while the phone is charging. When I unlock the phone after a few minutes of glance screen, I see a temporary impression of the time on the left side of the phone screen for a while.

For e.g. if the time is 11:46 PM and I unlock the phone, there is a low impression of the digits 11 on the tiles. Is this an issue or is it normal with all the LCDs?

Last edited:

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
My glance screen stays on while the phone is charging. When I unlock the phone after a few minutes of glance screen, I see an impression of the time on the left side of the phone screen for a while.

For e.g. if the time is 11:46 PM and I unlock the phone, there is a low impression of the digits 11 on the tiles. Is this an issue or is it normal with all the LCDs?

It appears to be a subtle manifestation of screen burn-in. You may want to let your screen turn off completely while your phone is charging. Not only will you prevent burn-in, but you will also increase the life of your screen and decrease your charging time.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I've kept Glance Screen 'Always On' on my Lumia 920, 1520, and now my 830 and never had an issue with screen burn-in. Something may be wrong with your device.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
So is it normal? Should I worry about it?

It should not happen under most circumstances. It's "normal" in the sense that if you let certain types of screens display a certain static image for a prolonged period of time the screen would most likely develop a temporary impression of the image, but it's not normal in the sense that a low intensity image (such as your Glance Screen) would make such an impression easily. Other users don't seem to report a lot of the same observation.

You may want to have it checked in a service center if it really bothers you (I would). Otherwise, try not to worry about it too much.

Luminator55

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
Ok now this odd and weird... I just left the setting screen lit for like ten minutes to check if there is burn in issue... There was no ghost image, whatsoever.. It seems the ghost image appears only for the glance screen and it lasts for like less than a minute. I am confused more now!

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
The time, for Glance, doesn't move up and down?? That should be enough to mitigate any burn in.

On both my 1520 and 1020, Glance's clock moves up my screen every couple seconds.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Try this: Install the Diagnostics Toolset App (which is free) and test out the colors of your screen. It could be that the burn in happens only when a certain color is left in your screen. So cycle through the colors using that app and see which one gets left behind. If none gets left behind, then it would seem that there is no burn in issue, but rather some bug with the Glance Screen feature.

Luminator55

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
Try this: Install the Diagnostics Toolset App (which is free) and test out the colors of your screen. It could be that the burn in happens only when a certain color is left in your screen. So cycle through the colors using that app and see which one gets left behind. If none gets left behind, then it would seem that there is no burn in issue, but rather some bug with the Glance Screen feature.

Thank you so much. I used the glance screen colors (night mode) and found that only green and the default causes the burn in. However, when I left the screen full green using the diagnostics app, there was not even a trace of burn in. I am pretty sure the ghost image appears only with the glance screen.. Exclusively for the time and date :/

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Thank you so much. I used the glance screen colors (night mode) and found that only green and the default causes the burn in. However, when I left the screen full green using the diagnostics app, there was not even a trace of burn in. I am pretty sure the ghost image appears only with the glance screen.. Exclusively for the time and date :/

No problem.

Then it is technically not a burn in. It's probably a bug with the glance screen. Besides, the glance screen time and date "moves" from time to time, decreasing the likelihood of a bur in from happening. I must mention that I notice very quick low intensity flickers with my L1020 when glance screen is active, but I just thought it was some minor bug. Thanks for the info, and hopefully a future update would fix these.

ImSShivs

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
me too have the same problem. I just purchase lumia 830 and before update I saw an impression on the lockscreen & pin enter screen too. After update to full Denim the problem remains the same. So, I google the problem and all I found is the hard reset in solution, but I wait for the Windows 8.1 update 2 and today I got it so I update my lumia from windows phone recovery tool by downloading the ROM and flash my phone but the glance screen issue remains the same. what should I do...???? please help..!!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos