Netflix Issue NOT Microsoft

Nordicqueen

Apr 18, 2015
Visit site
I've contacted Netflix and they tell me it's a Microsoft corruption preventing usage of watching a Netlix show. I am able to pull up the app, see the movies and once I click onto the movie I receive an error message Q8156-887A0004. Note: the version of Netflix that is on my phone app is: Version of Netflix on the Nokia is 4.1.0.16. I think that's where the issue is. I am noticing different version of Netflix people have posted. I went to Microsoft thinking is was the phone and others at Microsoft in the Mall of America had the same issue. Is it the Phone people? OR, is it Netflix? I would like a straight answer.:angry:

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
It's the operating system. The first version of the OS that shipped on the L830 (with fake denim) had a bug that prevented Netflix from running correctly. Later versions fixed it, although if I remember correctly, a reboot was required to get Netflix working.
In [Settings>About] my L830 lists the following version numbers:
OS version: 8.10.14226.359
Firmware revision number 02040.00021.14521.55002
If you're at that version number or higher and Netflix doesn't work, reboot your phone.
If you're below that version number, check [Settings>Phone Update] to ensure you don't have an update waiting. If you do then apply the update. If you don't have an update waiting, let us know what carrier you're on.

Last edited:

Rhoyz

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
I've contacted Netflix and they tell me it's a Microsoft corruption preventing usage of watching a Netlix show. I am able to pull up the app, see the movies and once I click onto the movie I receive an error message Q8156-887A0004. Note: the version of Netflix that is on my phone app is: Version of Netflix on the Nokia is 4.1.0.16. I think that's where the issue is. I am noticing different version of Netflix people have posted. I went to Microsoft thinking is was the phone and others at Microsoft in the Mall of America had the same issue. Is it the Phone people? OR, is it Netflix? I would like a straight answer.:angry:

I had the same version as you. When I get the same error I just soft reset the phone and it works again.

anon(5340442)

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
I was getting a driver error, but I uninstalled/reinstalled the app and it works now.

EDIT - I am on Telus and have the full Denim firmware.

Last edited:

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
I'm having the same issue on my 830. I tried uninstalling/reinstalling the app and rebooting the phone, and I get the same error as the OP.

OS version: 8.10.14176.243
Firmware revision number: 02040.00012.14404.07019

I have an AT&T branded phone, so my phone is showing that it is up to date.

VincentPX

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
I have often got an error after a Netflix or firmware update. At first i thought that is was a corrupted firmware but i'm not totally sure now cause it was always solved by rebooting the device or at worst reinstalling Netflix.

TexasLabRat

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm having the same issue on my 830. I tried uninstalling/reinstalling the app and rebooting the phone, and I get the same error as the OP.

OS version: 8.10.14176.243
Firmware revision number: 02040.00012.14404.07019

I have an AT&T branded phone, so my phone is showing that it is up to date.

AT&T phones do not have "Full Denim" yet and so they are still not compatible with the new Netflix build.

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Thank you, TexasLabRat. I misread a5cent's reply.

The first version of the OS that shipped on the L830 had a bug that prevented Netflix from running correctly. Later versions fixed it, although if I remember correctly, a reboot was required to get Netflix working.

I knew that the AT&T version was still awaiting the "full denim" update, but I thought the post meant later versions of the Netflix app fixed the issue. Does that mean any Lumia that has not yet had Denim released would suffer the same issue, or is does this only affect the 830?

TexasLabRat

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
Thank you, TexasLabRat. I misread a5cent's reply.

I knew that the AT&T version was still awaiting the "full denim" update, but I thought the post meant later versions of the Netflix app fixed the issue. Does that mean any Lumia that has not yet had Denim released would suffer the same issue, or is does this only affect the 830?

As far as I know the issue is limited to the 830 due to the "half baked" Denim that it was shipped with. "Real" Denim-era phones don't have the issue because they come with Full Denim out of the box. Cyan-era phones probably have a Cyan-compatible Netflix app, and get the Denim-required version only when they upgrade to Denim (and/or different API's are activated in the universal app depending on the firmware detected). But that's just speculation on my part.

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
As far as I know the issue is limited to the 830 due to the "half baked" Denim that it was shipped with. "Real" Denim-era phones don't have the issue because they come with Full Denim out of the box. Cyan-era phones probably have a Cyan-compatible Netflix app, and get the Denim-required version only when they upgrade to Denim (and/or different API's are activated in the universal app depending on the firmware detected). But that's just speculation on my part.
The bug was on the 735 as well on the pre- updated Netflix.

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
AT&T phones do not have "Full Denim" yet and so they are still not compatible with the new Netflix build.

Even the old Netflix build wouldn't work with the faded Denim that came with the 830 only Denim _shink to fit_ classic blue Levis 501 -update works with Netflix :winktongue:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos