How great is the 830 coming from a 1520

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
...Is there a reliable unlock source for these?...

So I put in my unlock request as a non-ATT user at about 7:31 AM this morning according to the click here to confirm the request email.

I got my code back at 3:49 PM the same day. My RM-983 is now carrier unlocked. I have unlocked 4 ATT phones this year, all with little to no hassle or wait.

I think the limit is 5 per year? IDK where I saw that... So this time I used my alternate email address and made up a different name to match my initials. LOL. Still have 2 unlocks on one email address and 4 on the other.

ATT Unlock Portal
http://forums.windowscentral.com/t/332109-how-unlock-t-windows-phone-non-contract-edition.html

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Wow. Do you have to put in your cell number when you do that? I am an AT&T customer, so I only get 5 a year.

BTW - can someone with an RM-983 check their APN settings and post? I had a weird thing today. I was sitting in the car, waiting on my daughter who was at a job interview. I was surfing and everything was cool. Put the phone down for a bit, but lost data connection. It shows 4G (had been LTE), and nothing will connect to the internet via cellular.

Did a soft reset - didn't help. I'm not into a hard reset unless it's absolutely necessary, so I wanted to check APN to see if it got messed up somehow. Under APN< mine says "nxtgenphone". That doesn't seem right.

Thanks much.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
U

Have you had a 930 or icon before... If so does the 930 feel more solid and premium than the 830...i feel like the lightness of the 830 will make it feel cheaper than the tight, durable, hefty, and premium construction of the 930...

I've had both - came to the 830 from a 930. The 930 feels more substantial, but I wouldn't say the build quality feels any cheaper really on the 830. It's not quite as big and heavy, but it doesn't feel cheap.

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
I've had both - came to the 830 from a 930. The 930 feels more substantial, but I wouldn't say the build quality feels any cheaper really on the 830. It's not quite as big and heavy, but it doesn't feel cheap.
I may be able to unlock the phones for you after all..i just sent in a request for the 1520 unlock code...i didn't know AT&T offered anything like this

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Wow. Do you have to put in your cell number when you do that? I am an AT&T customer, so I only get 5 a year...

There is a spot on the form where you indicate what your "relationship" is. When you select "non att mobility" you are asked a first and last name and an email address. Then you get an email to the address provided and you have to click the verify link within 24 hours or your request gets cancelled.

Since both my email addresses only use my initials, not my full name, I found it easy to use the secondary and make up a name that would match the initials that show in case someone is checking by hand. I think it is probably all automated. My last 2 unlocks happened in hours not days.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
There is a spot on the form where you indicate what your "relationship" is. When you select "non att mobility" you are asked a first and last name and an email address. Then you get an email to the address provided and you have to click the verify link within 24 hours or your request gets cancelled.

Since both my email addresses only use my initials, not my full name, I found it easy to use the secondary and make up a name that would match the initials that show in case someone is checking by hand. I think it is probably all automated. My last 2 unlocks happened in hours not days.

That's cool to hear. Maybe I can go that route, since I have my 5. Seems sort of unfair - I have 5 lines on my account - seems like I should get 25 unlocks.

Any ideas on the internet issue I'm having?

Thanks much

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Looks like nxtgenphone also gets internet. Bit the bullet and I'm hard reset. I have so many apps, it's going to take an hour. Hope that does it. If not, looks like I'll be using a 521 while I send this one in.

BSobotta

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Had a 1520, and I came over to a 830 for a couple of reasons.

First, the 1520 was just to large. I didn't mind it at first, but combined with my next issue it made it almost unusable at time.

Second, the touch issue drove me nuts. I had 3 1520' and they all had the exact same issue.

Third, I didn't like the ask plastic build. Love the 830's aluminum/poly build.

The specs on the 1520 made it a dream to use, the touch issue made it a nightmare. Once on the 830 I never looked back. The 830's issue has never been an issue for me. I really could be happy with this phone for a full two years.

binnyandrews

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
I have both 1520 and 830. Prefer 830 for daily use as I have to hold it for more than 15 to 30 minutes for conference calls and that makes my hand heavy. Only things I miss in 830

1, Battery
2, Processor - speed in very few apps
3, Display clarity

And I prefer 830

1, Light weight
2, Smaller in size
3, Navigation lights are easy for eyes at night

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members