How great is the 830 coming from a 1520

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Anybody out there go from a 1520 to an 830 ? Maybe your 1520 broke, or you just wanted something new, for whatever reason you switched..what do you like? What Don't you like? What do you miss? Or what are you glad is finally gone? What's better or worse? And what about that camera..is the 1520 camera really any better than the 830, when you look at them on paper you would think the only difference is that the 1520 pictures are simply larger/higher resolution, since they both have all the same camera bells and whistles... and is that one extra microphone the 1520 has much better ....I've had a 1520 and am curious of the 830:confused:

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
All I can say is I've had a 1520 since August 2014 and I have an 830 arriving tomorrow to play with.... I'll check back in on this thread.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Yup, a few of us in here did, including me. There are a couple of threads about it I believe. No regrets. And my 1520 didn't break... I enjoyed my time with it and would recommend it, but I sold it in mint condition after several months of use. I just loved the complete package the 830 brought to the table and wanted that instead.

Didn't notice a difference in most day-to-day operations/apps. Maybe a split second slower in opening some apps. You only really notice the difference when playing some games, which I don't.

On the plus side, I've enjoyed the one-handability of use and no more dealing with that swipe/tap/scroll bug that plagues the 1520.

Camera has been on par with the 1520 as far as I can tell. I took some comparison shots and wrote a review on here when I got the phone in October.

Battery life is very good on the 830, but the 1520 is Battery Life King.

If you care about aesthetics, like me, you'll love being able to switch back cover colors.

Removable battery is a nice plus, though I don't utilize that much.

The 830 probably has the 2nd best speakerphone quality (important for me) - in terms of sound quality for me and for the person I'm talking to - that I've ever used. Second only to the 1520's.

Unless you absolutely have to have that mammoth display and regularly play the most power-hungry games, I don't think you'll miss your 1520.

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Yup, a few of us in here did, including me. There are a couple of threads about it I believe. No regrets. And my 1520 didn't break... I enjoyed my time with it and would recommend it, but I sold it in mint condition after several months of use. I just loved the complete package the 830 brought to the table and wanted that instead.

Didn't notice a difference in most day-to-day operations/apps. Maybe a split second slower in opening some apps. You only really notice the difference when playing some games, which I don't.

On the plus side, I've enjoyed the one-handability of use and no more dealing with that swipe/tap/scroll bug that plagues the 1520.

Camera has been on par with the 1520 as far as I can tell. I took some comparison shots and wrote a review on here when I got the phone in October.

Battery life is very good on the 830, but the 1520 is Battery Life King.

If you care about aesthetics, like me, you'll love being able to switch back cover colors.

Removable battery is a nice plus, though I don't utilize that much.

The 830 probably has the 2nd best speakerphone quality (important for me) - in terms of sound quality for me and for the person I'm talking to - that I've ever used. Second only to the 1520's.

Unless you absolutely have to have that mammoth display and regularly play the most power-hungry games, I don't think you'll miss your 1520.

What about playing music on the loudspeaker? Are the speakers as good? And what about the screen, I heard the blacks weren't as good as other flagship Lumia's with ips LCD displays?

Formula84

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
What about playing music on the loudspeaker? Are the speakers as good? And what about the screen, I heard the blacks weren't as good as other flagship Lumia's with ips LCD displays?

I have both, I am a bit disappointed in the loudspeaker, the 1520 gets loud and stays clear, the 830 get loud but notifications crakle and sound bad so I keep them at level 4. For music I hear a slight clarity issue with certain sounds after 20, but at the levels the signs are load enough for me and still sound good.

The screen is good for a 720 screen and I am happy with the blacks, but its no 1520, that screen is amazing.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Not yet... I'm not expecting it for a couple more hours.

And I'll need time to form an opinion.

The 1520 is like nothing else. The 830 is auditioning for the spot as my backup. One thing I have planned is a camera shootout between 1520, 830 and 928. Also some screen and performance comparisons between the 830 and the 928. One of those two is probably going to be in Marketplace soon.

theolympusguy

Jan 29, 2015
Visit site
My Lumia 1520 is breaking now and once its finally out, I will get a 640XL for cash. I know its a midrange phone but it will hold me off till the new flagship arrives.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
OK. My 830 came in. Looks and feels fantastic in the hand. If you are a fan of the 925 you will appreciate the styling of the 830. I got an ATT (will try for unlock code but am on Straight Talk ATT flavor) so it has the black metal band and a Green back. The Green looks very nice. I also got an Orange back off Ebay that looks very nice and has the Qi charging. And despite being ATT it did charge on my DT-910 with the ATT back on there.

Feels premium, has a nice heft. The screen looks very nice. Not 1520 nice, but I would not discount the display.

Next step. Flash Rogers so I can use Lumia Camera 5. :D

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
OK. My 830 came in. Looks and feels fantastic in the hand. If you are a fan of the 925 you will appreciate the styling of the 830. I got an ATT (will try for unlock code but am on Straight Talk ATT flavor) so it has the black metal band and a Green back. The Green looks very nice. I also got an Orange back off Ebay that looks very nice and has the Qi charging. And despite being ATT it did charge on my DT-910 with the ATT back on there.

Feels premium, has a nice heft. The screen looks very nice. Not 1520 nice, but I would not discount the display.

that's my biggest concern....the display resolution because I love my 1520's display

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site

Can you do this and have it still work? I thought AT&T phones didn't play nicely with other carriers software. Is there a reliable unlock source for these?

BTW - I have a DT-900 plate, and it works just fine with the 830.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Can you do this and have it still work? I thought AT&T phones didn't play nicely with other carriers software. Is there a reliable unlock source for these?

BTW - I have a DT-900 plate, and it works just fine with the 830.

As far as unlock... I'm just using the ATT unlock portal. They are pretty good about unlocking phones now, even for non ATT user requests. https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...tt.com%2Fdeviceunlock%2F%23%2F&token=hpjlYE_W I understand there may have been issues getting these unlocked before, but I think that was a mad rush when they were new and probably the IMEI numbers were not in their database yet. I just put in a request this morning and am hoping it goes through.

I opened up Field Test menu and looked at the radio. It all seems a match for RM-985 point by point. I'm still looking at a couple things and probably will not attempt the flash until I know more from people who have tried. Still doing the Bing thing.

I think you would miss the camera more than the display resolution, especially in low light.

IMHO, the 1520 isn't al that stellar in low light. I don't think it compares to my old 925 in that regard.

I'm hoping that with Full Denim and Lumia Camera 5 the only difference in photos will be file size.

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
As far as unlock... I'm just using the ATT unlock portal. They are pretty good about unlocking phones now, even for non ATT user requests. https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...tt.com%2Fdeviceunlock%2F%23%2F&token=ePrWSwSx I understand there may have been issues getting these unlocked before, but I think that was a mad rush when they were new and probably the IMEI numbers were not in their database yet. I just put in a request this morning and am hoping it goes through.

I opened up Field Test menu and looked at the radio. It all seems a match for RM-985 point by point. I'm still looking at a couple things and probably will not attempt the flash until I know more from people who have tried. Still doing the Bing thing.

IMHO, the 1520 isn't al that stellar in low light. I don't think it compares to my old 925 in that regard.

I'm hoping that with Full Denim and Lumia Camera 5 the only difference in photos will be file size.
i will.have to go check on out . Coming from my 1520 don't know what to expect thanks ms for not having choices

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
U
i was afraid they ruined it somehow. I guess the exclusive use of rm-983 would be a good clue, but i was trying to be stubborn/thorough.

Thanks.

Have you had a 930 or icon before... If so does the 930 feel more solid and premium than the 830...i feel like the lightness of the 830 will make it feel cheaper than the tight, durable, hefty, and premium construction of the 930...

Blackadder_100

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Jumping in here...
I don't quite understand the comments I've read about the 830 being light. Seems plenty hefty to me and a great premium feel. I do have it in a case though as I found it too easy to accidentally push buttons (could be due to being left-handed though)

Looking forward to reading a review from RumoredNow 😊

Last edited:

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Have you had a 930 or icon before... If so does the 930 feel more solid and premium than the 830...i feel like the lightness of the 830 will make it feel cheaper than the tight, durable, hefty, and premium construction of the 930...

I've not had a 930 or an Icon. I do have a 928 which is similarly constructed. 830 weighs less than a 928 by 12 grams.

I used to have a 925 which is constructed similar to the 830 and the 830 weighs more than 925 by 11 grams.

To me the 830 feels good in the hand. There is a bit of heft there, but it isn't too much. It feels very balanced. I think it feels better in my hand than what I remember the 925 feeling like. Certainly better than a Galaxy S series which is another phone on the same body type. I think the thick corners of the metal frame give it a substantial feel.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)