Blu Jr taking better pics than 830

PiggyMiddle

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
OK, I know this will elicit some knee-jerk responses, but wait, I mean **some** pics.

We live out in the boonies and one of the local dirt roads has a pipe running under it to sluice water away. The pipe is too small for my dog but more than enough as a safe haven for rabbits. When the dog smells a rabbit in there he goes nuts trying to dig it out. Often tearing out a claw or two, but the hunting instinct is too great. When he does this and there is a rabbit inside the pipe, I bang on it with a stick to scare the rabbit out. Half the times the rabbit comes flying out my end, the other half the dog's end. The dog has about a 30% catch ratio, as he is rarely fast enough.

Anyway, before the stick banging I take a pic down the pipe to see if there is a bunny in there. The 830 used to only show about the first 5-feet and then darkness. The Blu-Jr, shows the entire pipe length, about 12-feet and even the rocks 3-feet past the other end and makes it much easier to see if there is a rabbit in there.

Both using the standard win8.1 Camera app on default standard settings. Makes ya think eh?

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
If this is the same Blu phone I played with at the Microsoft Store, I really don't see how this is possible based on photos I snapped in the store. I also have no reason to believe you'd make it up for no reason, so I too would be interested in seeing some samples.

PiggyMiddle

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
DUH!! you got me. Didn't think to save them at the time.

I guess I have to go with the "no pics, didn't happen" as I have sold the 830, but will take a few pics with the jr., but without the 830 to compare, point is moot.

PiggyMiddle

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
That's OK, I wasn't bothered if anyone thought I was making it up, it does sound a little flaky without the pics. I could pull the SD card from the junior and recover those but the 830 is no longer here and I was not using the SD with that. So, without comparison pics, it is just hearsay. :)

I was just surprised at the Jr pics yesterday afternoon, that's why I posted. The 830 pics were not really much help seeing if the bunny was inside if it was more than about 5' down the pipe. I took pics from both ends but it there was always a black section in the middle.

I can't get my head down there to look through the pipe so I just hold the camera down and generally aim straight along the pipe and click away a few times. The Jr ones enabled me to see shapes all the way through.

The bunny got away by the way. There was a brief scuffle at the pipe end but then the dog watched forlornly as it disappeared into a nearby burrow. :)

Actually, just remembered I may have some back ups on a remote drive. Depends if I deleted the pics before the auto backup or not. Watch this space.

PiggyMiddle

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
We have pics. Managed to Recuva from the SD for the Jr and from a backup for the 830.

The image stabilization on the 830 is profoundly clear and sadly lacking on the Jr. :) The image sizes are quite different too, the Jr does not seem to have the wide-angle but then the 830 has Zeiss, so I'd expect all the good stuff from it.

The projection at the other end of the Jr pic is the dog's nose, neither pics have a rabbit present. The lump in the 830 one is a rock that had been washed in, now removed. Neither have been cropped and both Scaled to 900 x ?? and maintaining the Aspect ratio. Both taken about the same time of day and same amount of ambient light. Blue skies and sunshine. :)

This is the old basic Jr, not the LTE version. I liked the 830 for everything except the size and weight. Could not go back to the old 520 as it was suffering some weirdness answering calls, so bought the Jr. I am missing the camera button though.

wabbit 830.jpg

wabbit Jr.jpg

PiggyMiddle

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
OK, the last two commenters need to take into consideration the shaky camera holding. The 830 has image stabilization as I mentioned, PLUS the one for the Blu was the only one that Recuva could fully recover on the SD card. There were some other crisp clear ones but the angle getting the camera facing down the pipe was not an easy one to hold steady.

So, put the thinking caps on, drop the knee-jerk into neutral and think about what you are seeing. Rather than just comparing the two pics for sharpness, try and look past that as it is so damned obvious, (and stated) look at the what detail is available as in handling the light from both ends, larger pic inside the pipe, greater (albeit it shaky) details well down into the pipe.

Despite all that, even with shaky pics, the Blu was able to display a rabbit near the middle of the pipe whereas the 830 was not. As I mention in the OP, I am NOT claiming that the Blu has a better camera than the 830, just saying that in some instances, it is taking better pics.

I wonder why I bother sometimes.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
the Win does not take better pics than 830. That's not true. As shown by the overall pictures and your admission.

However apparently, the Win was capable of getting a specific shot you wanted that the 830 couldn't. Personally, i'd take the 830 as the Win jr looks like camera someone would be using in the mid 2000s and saying is a 'great camera' even if it couldn't get the hole. The 830 looks like how i'd see with my contacts and the Win jr looks like how i'd see without my contacts lol

OK, the last two commenters need to take into consideration the shaky camera holding. The 830 has image stabilization as I mentioned, PLUS the one for the Blu was the only one that Recuva could fully recover on the SD card. There were some other crisp clear ones but the angle getting the camera facing down the pipe was not an easy one to hold steady.

So, put the thinking caps on, drop the knee-jerk into neutral and think about what you are seeing. Rather than just comparing the two pics for sharpness, try and look past that as it is so damned obvious, (and stated) look at the what detail is available as in handling the light from both ends, larger pic inside the pipe, greater (albeit it shaky) details well down into the pipe.

Despite all that, even with shaky pics, the Blu was able to display a rabbit near the middle of the pipe whereas the 830 was not. As I mention in the OP, I am NOT claiming that the Blu has a better camera than the 830, just saying that in some instances, it is taking better pics.

I wonder why I bother sometimes.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
What can I say the lumia is better for rabbits and the Jr for dogs.
Anyhow PiggyMiddle thanks for the effort i really like your post.

920Walker

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
The 830 took a recognizable photo. The Win Jr captured a bunch of light.

Any object of considerable size inside the pipe could have affected each photo.

The 830 is focused on the closer content of inside the pipe. The Win Jr isn't focused on anything. If OIS made all the difference here I would never buy a non-Preview Lumia or other manufacturer's device. It is almost impossible to take a blurry photo with Pureview and OIS.

Winner by KO, 830.

That said, I liked the story and thanks for posting the comparison photos. If you get a chance, take another more clear photo of the same location with the Win Jr. I'm interested in a less shaky comparison.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro