Going Back From 830 to 925

travis_valkyrie

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
You're wrong. The 925's quoted thickness seems to include the camera hump, which is accommodated for with a cut-out in the charging shell. But if I put my 925 with charging shell on the table next to my 830, they appear to be exactly the same thickness.

925 is thicker with charging shell on.
Both are 8.5mm bare, but the charging shell adds roughly about 1.66mm more on top of the phone so that's about the same width as the 920.
The camera and LED modules don't sit flat on the surface, you can see just how thick the case is if you look at the hole for the LED flash.

Motor_Mouth

Banned
Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
925 is thicker with charging shell on.
Both are 8.5mm bare, but the charging shell adds roughly about 1.66mm more on top of the phone so that's about the same width as the 920.
The camera and LED modules don't sit flat on the surface, you can see just how thick the case is if you look at the hole for the LED flash.
Did you not read my post above? When I put them down on a table side-by-side, THE 925 WITH CHARGING SHELL IS EXACTLY THE SAME THICKNESS AS THE 830. I don't care what the specs suggest, I am talking about real phones in the real world. How hard is that for you to grasp?

EMitchell

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I'm still carrying both a 925 for work and 830 for personal use. I really like the form factor of the 925, a little slimmer, easier to hold. But the expandable storage and the wireless charging make the 830 my preferred of the two. I understand that I could add a charging shell to the 925, and I use OneDrive for storage, but the charging shell removes the advantage of the slightly better form factor of the 925, and needing to be online for the entertainment is a disadvantage. I do like them both more than my old 920, I never felt that the 920 was an essential device, merely a step up from the 900.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm still carrying both a 925 for work and 830 for personal use. I really like the form factor of the 925, a little slimmer, easier to hold. But the expandable storage and the wireless charging make the 830 my preferred of the two. I understand that I could add a charging shell to the 925, and I use OneDrive for storage, but the charging shell removes the advantage of the slightly better form factor of the 925, and needing to be online for the entertainment is a disadvantage. I do like them both more than my old 920, I never felt that the 920 was an essential device, merely a step up from the 900.

I think the biggest difference between the 925 and the 830 is the battery life. I too definitely prefer the 830.

As for the 920, that thing was a gigantic leap from the 900 IMO... new operating system, wireless charging, OIS, much (much!) better camera. Much different device.

EMitchell

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
As for the 920, that thing was a gigantic leap from the 900 IMO... new operating system, wireless charging, OIS, much (much!) better camera. Much different device.
Ok, I should have worded that differently. You're right, the 920 was a huge step forward. My 900 wouldn't stay sync'd to the cell network, ATT's recommendation was to shut it down once a day to let it re-sync. Huh? :straight:

Last edited:

travis_valkyrie

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Did you not read my post above? When I put them down on a table side-by-side, THE 925 WITH CHARGING SHELL IS EXACTLY THE SAME THICKNESS AS THE 830. I don't care what the specs suggest, I am talking about real phones in the real world. How hard is that for you to grasp?

Oh wow how ignorant are you? You want real? I'll show you real

IMAG0076 - Copy.jpg

Shame you got banned, you can't make a comeback, I'd love to hear more of your wrongness. That's good tho, at least you don't have to keep shaming yourself. But yeah for everyone else, 925 is thicker with charging shell on.

Motor_Mouth

Banned
Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I'll see your "real" and raise you an "actual" -

925830.jpg

Maybe the back of the flip case on the 830 is thicker than the standard case, it certainly seems so when comparing photos, but as you can see, my 830 is close enough to the same thickness as my 925 that it's not worth worrying about, even before you take the thickness of the flip cover into account. There might be half a mm in it, at most.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
There's no front flip cover on the 925... even with that the 830 is still thinner, but open that up and it's not even really close. The 830 is thinner, and by more than half a mm.

Last edited:

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I think the pics are adequate. Users can see what you each are talking about.

Let's not get all "chicken and egg" in here. :smile:

Japser

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
I LOVED my 925. I LOVE my 830... Feels like a lateral move in many ways.

I think 830 edges out 925 though:
  • Camera seems very capable and will update to more modern features including Rich Capture and DNG.
  • I actually find the screens comparable. Both hover near the 300ppi sweet spot, but I really favor IPS over AMOLED (this is highly subjective I know - personally I'll take sunlight readability instead of overblown colors any day).
  • More future proof SoC and benefits from Sensor Core.
  • Expandable storage.
  • Better battery life - less demand from screen, more efficient SoC, and higher capacity battery. Removable battery is always a plus.
  • Wireless charging without a jacket. (I know someone said they like the charging jacket look - I never did and it always felt like I was cheated that I need a jacket to charge wirelessly.)
  • Sound. I want to say this is the loudest phone I have ever owned on speaker, headset and earpiece. The sound quality is great and there is just more volume to spare than on any other handset I have used. 830 gets a more complete Dolby integration as well.
  • Stylistically, the 830 is a successor to 925. The metal banding on 830 feels beefier, the continuation from 925 of the squared corners lends better rigidity and bump protection and helps differentiate from the me too trend of rounded corners and thinnest band from other OEMs. On 830 the band is all one piece, but on 925 it was segmented and joined. I prefer the one piece both for looks and strength. Also 830 uses less taper of corners toward the back of the phone and less rounding on the points of those corners. The interchangeable backs in more colors are a plus for those who want them (I do!).

I agree completely. I have a 925 myself and it is a great device (but I do have some problems with it). But I bought an 830 for my sister last week, and I think it's even better. I especially love the way it looks - very premium, but not boring, thanks to flashy colours available. I also think 5 inches is the sweet spot for phones; 4.5 inches feels a bit too small.

The problem with the 830 was that it used to be too expensive. But now that the price has dropped significantly here in Belgium, it really is a great buy.

Desynthesis

May 12, 2014
Visit site
Interesting opinion, Motor_mouth--like a few others, I went from the Lumia 925 to the Lumia 830.

Honestly, if it hadn't been for the 8.1 update breaking internet sharing and music playback (the "cracking" issue) on unlocked 925s, I probably would have stayed with the 925--I don't think can realistically claim that the 925 has a better Qi charging option (in the end of the day, it's not a great case, and you still have to pay an additional $20, or a lot more, for it), but that wasn't really a deal-maker for me. Really, the cracking playback problem was just unacceptable, and Microsoft wasn't fixing it on WP8 handsets.

Everything else is a trade off of sorts--bigger screen, less vivid colors. MicroSD slot, but bigger phone overall. Longer lasting battery, less snappy processor.

I've also heard the WP10 previews so far have not fixed it either, but I'd like to be proven wrong here. Hope your decision works out for me.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Really, the cracking playback problem was just unacceptable, and Microsoft wasn't fixing it on WP8 handsets..

Microsoft actually did fix it sometime during one of the Xbox Music updates on 8.1 Update 1 but again your mileage may vary. I frequently clean flashed my 925 then so could be a bad update for you? It was definitely fixed with the Denim firmware rollout.
Everything else is a trade off of sorts--bigger screen, less vivid colors. MicroSD slot, but bigger phone overall. Longer lasting battery, less snappy processor..

These look more like improvements than trade offs. I mean less vivid colors but a more accurate color profile due to
LCD...this again goes back to the whole LCD vs. AMOLED discussion, something that's subjective. The processor is actually snappy and faster than the S4 in day to day tasks. Applications open quickly and overall provides a better user experience except in high-graphic games due to the weak GPU.

I've also heard the WP10 previews so far have not fixed it either, but I'd like to be proven wrong here. Hope your decision works out for me.
W10 is actually way snappier on the 830 when compared to the 920 (similar to the 925)..something that tells me that the OS is optimized more for multi core processors and it's clearly visible.

Desynthesis

May 12, 2014
Visit site
I think you may have misunderstood me (my fault, in that case)--I meant that WP10 has not fixed the music cracking during playback issue (that's been the overwhelming report on this forum). In fact, you're the first person to tell me the music cracking was fixed "in some cases" with an 8.1 update--it certainly wasn't for me, and anyone else who's told me as much later changed their diagnosis. :eck:

As I've mentioned in the past, though, this problem can be bypassed (and frankly, not everyone has the hearing to detect the issue, but it is there in every Lumia handset updated from 8.0 to 8.1).

Again, having owned a 925 before my 830, some of those trade-offs are not improvements. MicroSD versus no MicroSD, obviously, is demonstratively worse, especially given that the 925 just doesn't come with that much space--if you don't want to use MicroSD, you don't have to, but with the 925 you have no choice in the matter. I like the bigger screen, but I miss the higher resolution of the 925.

I'm not trying to second-guess your own choice, Pankaj, just point out why a lot of people, myself included, switched to the 830 from the 925. Ideally, we shouldn't have, but phones are ultimately compromises--the 830 was just fewer compromises than the 925 was, and lacked a seriously annoying glitch that Microsoft gave up trying to fix. If none of those issues bother you, that's fine--the lack of monobody in the Lumia 830 doesn't bother me (on the contrary, I prefer its angles to the 925's curved body).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss