Nokia Lumia 920/925 vs Nokia Lumia 830

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
On paper it is a comparable phone, but the "ClearBlack" display is trash compared to the 830/920/etc. You have the 635 so I am sure you understand xD

Lumia 640 is hard sell for me personally. Especially when 920/925/928 are floating around $85 for a like new/refurb.

Lumia 830s were being dumped on eBay for $112 open box, maybe you'll get lucky ;). If not, price will surely drop once markets are saturated.

I'm sure you're aware of the pros/cons of a "budget" phone. Regardless, the Lumia 640 is a pretty solid phone.

I have only seen glossy blue/orange, are there any matte covers out?

640 flip shells are all matte

d-laybook

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
Ive owned the 920 and the 925. Now I have an 830 and 1520. The winner is.........Ativ S. Just joking. I like the 830 more than the other two mainly because of the bigger screen size and expandable memory. While different, I like the form factor on both the 925 and 830 about the same.

When I feel like rocking a big screen, I drop the sd and sim card into my 1520 and when I want portability, I rock the 830. Love them both. But Ive liked every windows phone I have owned (included the Ativ S)

scd147

Apr 15, 2015
Visit site
That is good to know. Yep the 635 screen is pretty lacking in color vibrancy. Though the microphone situation on the 635 is actually pretty impressive. Go figure, people hear me better on the cheapo phone. But maybe there's just dust up in my 920. The 830 having a better screen, possibly better mics, in addition to the better camera, double storage, and dedicated hardware button, then yeah I'd say we're justifying the cost. I was really close to considering the 640 or XL but it seems like for not too much more money I can have a screen that is more on par with the 920.

scd147

Apr 15, 2015
Visit site
Pretty sure the 920's 8.7 megapixel sensor is smaller than the 10 megapixel unit on the 830...

That's what I heard too, but then other people say things about aperture size, and other camera stuff that I don't really understand, and they say the 920 is still the superior camera. We need a phone loan program so I can try before I buy!

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
That's what I heard too, but then other people say things about aperture size, and other camera stuff that I don't really understand, and they say the 920 is still the superior camera. We need a phone loan program so I can try before I buy!
Microsoft actually had and I think still does have that... You get to try out a Lumia for a week or two

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
That is good to know. Yep the 635 screen is pretty lacking in color vibrancy. Though the microphone situation on the 635 is actually pretty impressive. Go figure, people hear me better on the cheapo phone. But maybe there's just dust up in my 920. The 830 having a better screen, possibly better mics, in addition to the better camera, double storage, and dedicated hardware button, then yeah I'd say we're justifying the cost. I was really close to considering the 640 or XL but it seems like for not too much more money I can have a screen that is more on par with the 920.

I don't think the 830 had a better screen than the 920, and definitely not better than the 925 or 928...

Sure the 830 has a larger display, but since its bigger without having a higher resolution it has a lower ppi, also it is not as bright as the 920,925, or 928, and the blacks are known for not being as good as on the 920 even though they're both clear black LCD displays... The 925 and 928 displays beat them both when it comes to blacks, but that's because of the 925&928 being AMOLED, which is a whole different argument.... AMOLED vs IPS LCD

wiilweer

Dec 19, 2014
Visit site
I have 925 for a year now and I'm happy with it. I can't compare it to 830 because I havent got/tried one. I think I'd go to 830 if I had to buy now. Otherwise 925 does a great job.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I find the Lumia 830 to be a beautiful product and the 830 no way a step down from the 830.
It makes me wonder if the 830 h ad been what the Lumia 920(and the later 925) was at their time of existence in 2012, would the phone had done even better then since it is such a beautiful piece of hardware.

Lumia 830 >925 >920

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The 830 I ordered arrived yesterday, so I got a few hours of fun with it.
It's the RM-983, so no Lumia Denim, but then again, I didn't have it with my 920 or the test 635 I picked up, so I'm not exactly losing.

Compared to the 920, it is about the same size. Except taller, noticeably taller. It's relative slimness makes a difference too.
The jury is out on the larger display. I guess its OK. Resolution isn't an issue, its still plenty sharp, I'm not sure how one-handed use is, since the 920 had a similarly sized body with a smaller screen.

Display quality though seems on-par with the 920 IMHO. More on that at 11...

Battery life is probably the biggest plus the 830 has over the 920. (and the reason I picked it up after being impressed by the 635) I haven't seen it yet, but its probably still working on stuff behind the scenes and stuff.

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Btw Lumia 635 has better call quality as it supports VoLTE on TMo network. Less compression, worse Mics.

Lumia 640 should have the support as well, and I hope Microsoft will consider making VoLTE a standard in their OS.

Would be nice to bring an international/ATT model and have "HD" Voice

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Btw Lumia 635 has better call quality as it supports VoLTE on TMo network. Less compression, worse Mics.

Lumia 640 should have the support as well, and I hope Microsoft will consider making VoLTE a standard in their OS.

Would be nice to bring an international/ATT model and have "HD" Voice
International models are also carrier based. The EE UK model has VoLTE as well as Wifi Calling (EE is basically T-Mobile in the UK, literally T-Mobile + Orange). Though all devices with an EE sim have Hd voice

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Other things I've noticed:

the side buttons are less prominent, it's a minor issue with feeling for the buttons, but I'll get used to it.

The headphone jack has a slight ring around it like some devices, unlike the flushness of the 920.

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
International models are also carrier based. The EE UK model has VoLTE as well as Wifi Calling (EE is basically T-Mobile in the UK, literally T-Mobile + Orange). Though all devices with an EE sim have Hd voice

Yeah, wouldn't it be awesome if certain carrier specific features were made standard in the OS?

I have not been to the UK/France, Orange sucks in the middle east. Worst XD

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Other things I've noticed:

the side buttons are less prominent, it's a minor issue with feeling for the buttons, but I'll get used to it.

The headphone jack has a slight ring around it like some devices, unlike the flushness of the 920.

Yeah, 920 was the only phone thick enough haha. It really makes a difference when using headphones that have a full sized plug / angled. My Lumia 822 didn't have a ring around the jack, so there were some marks where there was contact.

Lumia 830 is a damn sexy phone, congrats. Why didn't you wait? New phones coming out soon ?
Edit: Just out of curiosity. 830 is a good phone nonetheless.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720