830 in-call mic stopped working.

hkhawaja

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Weird problem happened suddenly, I lost the in-call mic sound and the other party cannot hear me at all as if on mute. If I enable speaker phone, then they can hear me fine.

I have soft-reset the phone, tried taking out the battery and rebooted it but still the in-call mic doesn't transmit any sound.

Sound recorder apps also can record audio fine, so I am not sure what exactly is the issue with the in-call mic. Can anyone suggest anything to fix it? I've inspected the mic hole on the front glass, and it seems clear and there is no blockage.

I was not able to locate any service manuals showing all the mic locations on 830, if anyone knows I'd appreciate it. I am using my 720 as a backup now, and would love to get the 830 fixed asap.

jay6600

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
if you have nokia care suite installed on a computer you can put the device in testmode (rf inactive) and test the microphones independently, however if its hardware fault then only service centre can fix the problem

Big Papa Smurf

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
if you have nokia care suite installed on a computer you can put the device in testmode (rf inactive) and test the microphones independently, however if its hardware fault then only service centre can fix the problem

Will this work for other phones? My 1520 started doing the same thing. Worked one day, now I have to wear a headset or use speakerphone...

Steve Thackery

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
Hey, that's happened to mine, too! I was convinced it was some hardware fault in my phone, although when I found that the mic worked fine for voice recordings, I was less sure. I was delighted to find this thread, because now I know it's not just my phone.

Mine is a 1520, and I noticed the mic wasn't working a few days ago. At the moment I'm using my Bluetooth headset.

This failure mode is far too specific for it to be a hardware fault caused by rough handling - what would be the chances of all of us suffering it? Especially when you think that the mic is actually working. This does seem awfully like some obscure software fault.

Richypowell007

Sep 18, 2015
Visit site
Hi this is deffinately a software issue, i have had this problem for weeks and had it back to a repair centre twice and twice they returned it back with the same fault. So i tried all kinds and then i found out if you download windows insider from the app store it lets you test out the windows 10 upgrade for the 830, you can find instructions on google how to do this and its very easy. Once the up date was installed the in call microphone is now working again, i also rate windows 10 its an improvement on the Denim upgrade which killed my phone, cant believe microsoft have not worked this out yet or found the correct fix.

Last edited:

RazabQ

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
Developed this problem earlier today with my 1.5 year old Lumia 830. Quick recap of my symptoms
  • Mic doesn't work when receiving calls, or even when making calls. Switching to, or starting wired headset, bluetooth or speakerphone works.
  • Translator and other audio recording apps are fine
  • Text to speech also doesn't work (in texting or Cortana)
  • Rebooted a few times. Removed back panel and cleaned. Removed protective screen covering and cleaned mic area there too.

Workaround for now is I switch to speakerphone and then back. So y'all think this is a hardware issue? I was forced to order the 950 (was waiting for the HP phone to compare).

OttawaMan

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I experienced the same issue this week. I'm on Windows 10 on an 830. Like others, the other audio apps work..but the phone app mic AND the Skype to Skype phone call doesn't but if I make a Skype video call. No problem. I tried the trick of going to speaker phone (which works) then going back to normal phone and it doesn't work again. I thought this was a Windows 10 bug so I backed out and restored to Denim. Same issue though I never had this problem when I was originally on Denim. This bites! I was already on the fence about whether my next phone would even be a Windows phone at all and was hoping before my phone died that Win10 would improve things...now it seems that I will be forced early to move to another device and as of today...sadly I doubt it will be a Windows phone.

stuvw01

May 6, 2016
Visit site
I replaced the mic part and it worked only for a couple of days. Put original back and same thing. No way to explain this I can think of. Has happened to too many people to not be a quality problem somewhere else in the phone or software.

fgaudet

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Had the same issue as described here. Ordered replacement microphone jacks, assuming mine was defective and the inline microphone detection was stuck "on"... Got the same results after replacing the part : behavior was not fixed, still no voice in calls or Cortana. I even completely removed the jack but that didn't fix it either.

What DID fix it, although always only for a given time, is to physically twist/warp the phone... Hold the top and bottom and twist it a little. Only works one way. It's definitely a hardware issue - some connectors to the backplate must be losing contact. I have dropped mine quite often, it's taken a beating...

This crippling flaw and some apps not working after the latest w10 update have pushed me to the dark side... I've now switched to my first Android, a Moto X Play. It's near impossible to find a WP device on any carrier in Quebec Canada anyway.
I already miss my start menu and find Android very confusing and lacking the features I had grown used to on WP, but I guess I'll get used to it.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

stuvw01

May 6, 2016
Visit site
I took mine apart and could not find any spring or clipped contacts that were not raised enough or pressure connected, so I'm not sure how twisting works. Can you ever twist a metal frame?

It's really poor service from Microsoft when they themselves offer no (sensible) solution..a usual soft reset, hard reset, revert to 8.1 suggestion only.. or tell us where the noise cancelling mics are.
I would also like to know what the Dolby 'feature' is all about as there is no access to it from menus. Might it be causing the problem?

OttawaMan

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Does the 830 have more than one mic? A co-worker of mine wondered that one mic might be used for speaker calls, video recording etc...and another mic might be used for phone calls when your mouth is by the mic. I can't find specs that indicate more than one mic though but it seems odd that speakerphone and audio recording apps as well as earbuds work fine but as soon as I use my phone as a true handset phone, nobody hears me. So either this is a software issue or there are 2 mics and one's having problems that magically happened only when I upgraded to W10m.

KefKef

Jan 10, 2016
Visit site
L830 has more mics than one. I have a service test program "LumiaPhoneTestApplication v.6.0.9" with which I can test all the hardware on my 830. Sadlly the program (LumiaPhoneTestApplicationInstaller.exe) is removed from all sites and blogs where it was available for download until a month ago...

Try your luck from HERE with version 6.0.8

Last edited:

iainsimo

Apr 9, 2016
Visit site
My Nokia 830 (approx 20 months old) has started doing this during the past few days. Microphone works for apps like Shazzam & Voice Recorder, but not for incoming calls or Cortana. Will work on speaker phone or if i use a wired headset.
What solutions have anybody found that works? If this is a fault of a software update, that's pretty bad. whatever else you may use it for, the prime purpose is as a PHONE! What if this happens when someone has to make an emergency call in a life threatening situation??
Some of the threads here talk of the 830 having multiple microphones - I can't see more than one.
One more reason to ditch Windows Phone.

KefKef

Jan 10, 2016
Visit site
Some of the threads here talk of the 830 having multiple microphones - I can't see more than one.
One more reason to ditch Windows Phone.

So, if you don't see them, you assume they don't exist :)

Then, how do you think the phone records stereo sound with one mic?
Then there is "Active noise cancellation with dedicated mic"...

iainsimo

Apr 9, 2016
Visit site
Where are they then, KefKef?
There is what appears to be a microphone hole above the rear camera lens. I'd like to know what mic the speakerphone is using.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss