"Microsoft" (email) account ?

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
This might be a dumb question...but I'm setting up my friends 830 and she has no "Microsoft" account, does an MS account mean an MS email account ie. Hotmail, Outlook or MSN, or just an account associated with her Lumia 830 and MS ? In other words, can she use her Yahoo email account instead ? So when she signs into that Yahoo email account, when she backs it up and uses the Store and OneDrive etc., it will sync ?

AV2RY

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
re: "Microsoft" (email) account ?

I might be wrong but I think your "default" email address must be hotmail /live account. That is needed 1)for store to download apps 2)backup to OneDrive. You can then add your Yahoo account by simply heading to settings >email + accounts

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site

https://signup.live.com/signup?lcid...6&uaid=7b3f5e5c3d474fdba7d8ad449d5c3bc2&lic=1

This is what I'm wondering about
Create an account

"You can use any email address as the user name for your new Microsoft account, including addresses from Outlook.com, Yahoo! or Gmail. If you already sign in to a Windows PC, tablet, or phone, Xbox Live, Outlook.com, or OneDrive, use that account to sign in "

Rising Mos

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site

To get the most out of everything, it is better to have a hotmail/live/outlook account. And yes, your email credentials serves as your Microsoft account credentials.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

I only had Google Email when I first moved to Windows Phone. Multiple Google. It worked for me. I never had any issues getting mail, calendar, contacts...

It does not matter.

And a little bird told me You CAN Change the Email Address of Your Microsoft Account Without Resetting Your Device, so don't sweat over it.

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site

I only had Google Email when I first moved to Windows Phone. Multiple Google. It worked for me. I never had any issues getting mail, calendar, contacts...

It does not matter.

And a little bird told me You CAN Change the Email Address of Your Microsoft Account Without Resetting Your Device, so don't sweat over it.
Sure "getting mail, calendar, contacts..." but to back up your phone and for OneDrive too and when resting your phone and Start screen layout, apps and settings in the cloud, No issue ?
I've always had some sort of MS account so I wasn't sure and needed to know for my gf. Yes you can change your account, but in my case my normal forever email account no longer will up date so I had to use it as a secondary account and create a new MS account for back up etc. I also lost many paid apps since my Microsoft account is my Outlook secondary account...MS and I have spent hours trying to figure out why it always says "Not up to date" and won't update. I gave up. And yes we tried changing the server but the ONLY way my normal email account can be updated is to use it as a secondary account...

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

I never had any issues with App purchase, backup, restore, OneDrive, snakes alive, ain't no jive...

Just having Google on the phone and no other email accounts and having my Microsoft Account listed under a Gmail address for over a year presented me with not one problem. All my Microsoft Services worked as they were supposed to. Many do this every day. There is no rule only a Microsoft flavor email will work for your Microsoft Account.

Sorry you lost stuff... Read my guide. You don't have to loose stuff. That is a fallacy under Windows Phone 8 and up. I have not lost anything and I killed all my Google dead and switched to outlook for my SAME Microsoft Account with all App history, backup, restore, OneDrive, Skype, This, That, The Other... NO LOSS.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site

I never had any issues with App purchase, backup, restore, OneDrive, snakes alive, ain't no jive...

Just having Google on the phone and no other email accounts and having my Microsoft Account listed under a Gmail address for over a year presented me with not one problem. All my Microsoft Services worked as they were supposed to. Many do this every day. There is no rule only a Microsoft flavor email will work for your Microsoft Account.

Sorry you lost stuff... Read my guide. You don't have to loose stuff. That is a fallacy under Windows Phone 8 and up. I have not lost anything and I killed all my Google dead and switched to outlook for my SAME Microsoft Account with all App history, backup, restore, OneDrive, Skype, This, That, The Other... NO LOSS.

same here, no issues using a non-microsoft email address or changing it to a microsoft based email address, and back (had a MS account for a LONG time now) this includes onedrive (and when it was called skydrive, and one mesh before that) and all other MS services. Both on personal and business accounts. It seems Mr Lebowski has had some bad luck. It happens. Hell, I've had MS Enterprise level support spend weeks trying to fix issues.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

I do have a Yahoo as my secondary email to gather SPAM and have an address for one-off sign ups. I keep that sort of stuff segregated from my Outlook... To be fair, it seems Yahoo is a bit fiddly in the WP Outlook App. That's the one that gave Mr.Lebowski the headaches.

I don't recommend Yahoo for anything serious. :winktongue:

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site

Yes you need a Microsoft Account to fully use Windows devices.

No, the email associated with that account does not have to be one of the domains that Microsoft offers email service on. Any email address you already have can be used to setup a Microsoft Account.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site

I do have a Yahoo as my secondary email to gather SPAM and have an address for one-off sign ups. I keep that sort of stuff segregated from my Outlook... To be fair, it seems Yahoo is a bit fiddly in the WP Outlook App. That's the one that gave Mr.Lebowski the headaches.

I don't recommend Yahoo for anything serious. :winktongue:

people still use yahoo mail? I killed that account next to forever ago.

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site

I know I can DELETE my old account and not loose apps ...thing is I don't want to delete that account that I've had for over 10 years, that's where I get my email.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

No one is saying you have to delete anything, Mr. Lebowski. Originally I was referring to the fact that if you set your friend up with a non-Microsoft email as THE Microsoft Account contact point and she has issues with her Microsoft Account (which she should not) - there are ways to transition the Microsoft Account to a different email as a contact point without loosing any App ownership, OneDrive, backups, etc.

jamie rollo

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
Sort of on topic: yes my MS account has a non-MS email, but I also have an Outlook email I don't use much. My phone contacts show in 'Microsoft' and 'Outlook' - do they need to be in Microsoft, or can I delete them from there and simply create/maintain them in Outlook and all will still work ok?

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
No one is saying you have to delete anything, Mr. Lebowski. Originally I was referring to the fact that if you set your friend up with a non-Microsoft email as THE Microsoft Account contact point and she has issues with her Microsoft Account (which she should not) - there are ways to transition the Microsoft Account to a different email as a contact point without loosing any App ownership, OneDrive, backups, etc.

Ok but I was saying my old msn.com account won't update AND unless I transfer to different email account ( why would I ? ) I can't use my old msn.com email account as my primary and keep paid apps. I know I don't loose app ownership IF I use my "new" unused Hotmail account but I want to use my old msn.com account but it won't Up Date or sync mail.

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
sort of on topic: Yes my ms account has a non-ms email, but i also have an outlook email i don't use much. My phone contacts show in 'microsoft' and 'outlook' - do they need to be in microsoft, or can i delete them from there and simply create/maintain them in outlook and all will still work ok?
yes but I'm not sure they will sync with calendar...but they will still be there for calls and emails and sms

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb