One AT&T 830 runs Lumia Camera and One does not. Whats up?

meathead88

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
So my sister-in-law got a new 830 form AT&T a month ago, per my advice, but constantly complained about the camera. I checked it and its of course using the old Nokia Camera. I downloaded Lumia Camera to her phone but as stated in other forums, when launching Lumia Camera, it states Denim is required. This phone states it has Denim. This behavior seems to line up with the scenarios I see in the WindowsCentral forums.

Now a co-coworker also bought a new 830 a little more than a month ago. His AT&T 830 has Lumia Camera installed and working. I verified it myself. He also has a newer firmware somehow. Screen shot of working 830[

What is going on?!?!?!

Does anyone have Lumia Camera working on an AT&T 830?

Last edited:

meathead88

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
So my co-worked stated he tried out the Windows 10 Insider's build on his but rolled back to 8.1. Could that have loaded firmware?!

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
That's a newer version than I have, and Lumia Camera does not work for me.

I have a spare 830 sitting here with a broken screen, maybe I'll try the update/roll back program with that one tonight, and see what happens.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for replying! Can you post your firmware screen shot from the phone that Lumia Camera does not work on?

Now you're testing me. I can take them apart, and rebuild them, and load and reload software, but posting a screen shot may challenge the outer limits of my abilities.

I'll do it in a few minutes.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Your co-worker's 830 probably isn't an AT&T variant that's why it has the Denim firmware and Update 2. Check his extras+info. It'll either say RM-985 or RM-984. The AT&T variant is RM-983.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
So my sister-in-law got a new 830 form AT&T a month ago, per my advice, but constantly complained about the camera. I checked it and its of course using the old Nokia Camera. I downloaded Lumia Camera to her phone but as stated in other forums, when launching Lumia Camera, it states Denim is required. This phone states it has Denim. This behavior seems to line up with the scenarios I see in the WindowsCentral forums.

Now a co-coworker also bought a new 830 a little more than a month ago. His AT&T 830 has Lumia Camera installed and working. I verified it myself. He also has a newer firmware somehow. Screen shot of working 830View attachment 109018

What is going on?!?!?!

Does anyone have Lumia Camera working on an AT&T 830?
Clean the IMEI number from your image..

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Update, he bought it at the Microsoft store in Beachwood, Ohio.

The Microsoft store sells the RM-985 unlocked US variant that supports AT&T and T-Mobile LTE bands. Check his extras+info and you'll know. Someone at the Microsoft store made him buy the better variant.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
What Microsoft is doing now with the unlocked unbranded RM-985 Lumia 830, and did for a while with the unlocked unbranded RM-877 Lumia 1020, is something they need to go all out on from now on. Sell unlocked, unbranded, full-feature devices that work on all carriers. If a Lumia 930 that supported US LTE bands had ever been available they would probably have sold a lot of them.

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
The Microsoft store sells the RM-985 unlocked US variant that supports AT&T and T-Mobile LTE bands
Is that LTE just T-Mobile, or does it apply to AT&T as well? I went with the AT&T variant because I heard that the unbranded versions didn't support AT&T's LTE frequencies, and the last HSPA+ phone I used had terrible data speeds in the area where I work.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Is that LTE just T-Mobile, or does it apply to AT&T as well? I went with the AT&T variant because I heard that the unbranded versions didn't support AT&T's LTE frequencies, and the last HSPA+ phone I used had terrible data speeds in the area where I work.

It supports both.

meathead88

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
This has got to be the reason, crap. She's gonna have to go with a S6 now because the 830 with Nokia Camera is much slower than a properly updated variant with Lumia Camera. This is crap. Way to go AT&T, you lost us another one.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Was going to ask if you tried Lumia Camera Classic, but it seems like I am too late. While created for "older Lumias", Lumia Camera Classic gives a similar experience to Lumia Camera 5, and something AT&T 830 owners are stuck using until AT&T gets off their butts and give us the full Denim update,.

meathead88

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for everyone's help but she decided this was all too much trouble and received her galaxy s6 today. We all tried hard to save her, thanks :(

This crap has got to stop from the carriers and MSFT.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for everyone's help but she decided this was all too much trouble and received her galaxy s6 today. We all tried hard to save her, thanks :(

This crap has got to stop from the carriers and MSFT.

My wife is jonesing for an S6. She has an S4 now, and Samsung just sent me a $200 trade-in email. I don't think I could sell her S4 for that, so it might be in her future.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo