I had the AT&T version of the Lumia 830 for 5 months. When it became obvious that AT&T was not going to update the firmware, I swapped the phone for the unlocked version RM-985 and paid the difference. It was my understanding the RM-985 had firmware would correct the following errors

Netflix Error
    Inability to Use latest Lumia camera App
    Problems with Wifi and Bluetooth.

I reinstalled from my backup and thought everything was fine, however, after a day I was again unable to play Netflix. It worked earlier in the day and then I received the same error as on the AT&T model.

I also notice, I was not getting any updates for Update 2 which I thought was available for the RM-985. Could someone tell me the firmware and and OS I should have on my phone? Windows recovery tool said I'm up to date. Also, should the RM-985 work with Netflix and have access to Update 2? Thanks.
    08-10-2015 11:34 AM
    maybe your restore mucked things up?? a restore can be downloading stuff for hours in the background. it "could" explain why it worked once and not again later. granted, this is just a guess, as it "should" just work.

Normally, when I am swapping phones and know there is an update waiting, i tend to not restore, let it update, then do a hard reset, and then restore after.
    08-10-2015 11:41 AM
    I had the problem with Netflix as well it was working then stopped and then i uninstalled Netflix restarted my phone reinstalled Netflix and it worked again then it stopped working a little while after again so then I uninstalled it again restarted phone then installed Netflix on my phone storage and not the SD and have not had the problem since hope this helps
    08-10-2015 11:41 AM
    so then I uninstalled it again restarted phone then installed Netflix on my phone storage and not the SD and have not had the problem since hope this helps
    ^^^that sounds good too, try moving it to internal storage 1st.
    08-10-2015 11:42 AM
    Thanks for the quick responses. I did reinstall Netflix and it didn't help. Not sure if I rebooted. I just reinstalled the operating system from windows recovery tool. It says my OS version is 8.10.14234.375. Firmware revision is 02040.00021.15235.53001. Does this look correct for anyone with an RM-985? I guess Update 2 with the revamped system menu is not available for the Rm-985? Thanks.
    08-10-2015 11:48 AM
    That is the OS and firmware I have.
    08-10-2015 11:51 AM
    That's what I have too.

If I understand it correctly, which I think I do,the 985 doesn't have update 2 - it has full Denim, which is the firmware you've identified. The update 2 on the 983 is still short of Denim.

LC works fine on mine, I don't have the BT/Wifi issues, but I can't speak to Netflix, because I don't use that.
    08-10-2015 11:57 AM
    Thank you for the confirmation on firmware. The Lumia Camera was working and I noticed it was much quicker than the old app. I guess I should have posted here first before doing a restore. Just to clarify the title of my post, I was really frustrated with the process I had to go through to get the phone and general lack of technical support by Microsoft. None of the MS stores in New York/New Jersey area had the unlocked 830. I needed to drive 60 miles to CT to get one. The people in the store were very understanding and help me out in the switch. This morning when I was having issues with the new phone, I called MS technical services and they don't appear to have anyone dedicated to providing support on Lumias. They direct you to a website. I spoke with several people, was put on hold, and wasted over an hour on hold trying to find out if what I was experiencing was normal. I should have gone directly to Windows Central since I had my answers in minutes. Having come from an iPhone, I have to say that Apple does provide good online tech support.
    08-10-2015 12:14 PM
    I thought update 2 (8.1.2) had the revamped system menu similar to what the 640 has.
    08-10-2015 12:16 PM
    Update 2 does that have that, but it's a lesser OS version than Denim. LC, for example, does not work with update 2. The full Denim on the 985 is better for you than the update 2.
    08-10-2015 02:08 PM
    For anyone who is interested, here is an update regarding my RM-985. I finally got Netflix working after reinstalling firmware and OS using Windows Phone Recovery. Then, after owning the new unlocked L830 (RM-985) for one week, it promptly died. First phone I ever owned that was bricked. Took the phone to Microsoft Kiosk at Time Warner Center in New York and was given a refund since they don't have that model. Apparently they have many of the AT&T version. B&H Photo carries the RM-985 and I picked it up there. After messing around with it for two days and going through the Reinstall of the Firmware and OS its finally playing Netflix. One thing I did notice is the current phone appears to be the Latin American Version which was made in China and was manufactured in 2014. The prior RM-985, purchased directly from MS Store, was a US version with two charger backs (made in Vietnam) and made in 2015.

I finally have an L830 that works again and gets all the features I was waiting for since March, however, now I'm thinking I should use my daughters L635 and wait for the new Flagship to be released, which I understand will be soon. I never would have considered it but its an option since MS took back the bricked phone and gave me a full refund.
    08-18-2015 01:42 PM