Does Windows Insider update still give Denim to AT&T 830 first?

Jason Gilbert

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Hello All,

Just backed my AT&T 830 down to 8.1 b/c 10166 was getting buggy and I can't live without wireless hotspot. (Cuz, ya know, airport and hotel wifi suuuuuucks.:crying:) Is it still the case that if I reinstall Windows insider for the fast ring that the fist update will get me Denim? (Cuz, ya know, AT&T 830 support suuuuuucks.:crying:)

Thanks!

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
re: Does Windows Insider update still give Denim to AT&T 830 first?

My understanding is that Microsoft has closed that door.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site

That was never Denim (firmware), that was 8.1 update 2 (operating system). And no, the trick doesn't work anymore.

Martsicky

May 18, 2013
Visit site

Date of accomplishment? Denim as opposed to Update 2?

Got screen shots of Lumia Camera 5 on an AT&T 830?
It was already said twice, that Denim was never available through Windows Insider Program. I've been referring to Update 2 availability. :)
5 days ago, managed to get Update 2 on my 930 via Slow Ring. It was reported by some polish Windows Phone website that it's still there.

I know you won't understand but... That's the source: https://wpworld.pl/44829/udalo-mi-sie-wgrac-aktualizacje-gdr2-na-lumii-930/

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

It was already said twice, that Denim was never available through Windows Insider Program. I've been referring to Update 2 availability. :)

You never said... So I had to ask for clarification.

5 days ago, managed to get Update 2 on my 930 via Slow Ring. It was reported by some polish Windows Phone website that it's still there.

See, that is a more full explanation. However, your 930 is not an AT&T branded 830. Things often vary by model, Region, etc.

I know you won't understand...

Yes, it is hopeless for me to comprehend. :winktongue:

According to the documentation the device must be debranded and flashed to the Poland CV. AT&T branded Lumia 830 can not be debranded. A very excellent and knowledgeable flasher/debrander/cross variant match selctor named pankaj981 lead me through a series of experiments via Registry Hack and we were unable to debrand an AT&T 830. Perhaps you know a way?

None of the comments I've looked through (and by no means have I read all 140+) have indicated success without debranding or on a current ROM other than Poland CV. Do you have evidence otherwise?

With all due respect, your experience and the contents of that web site do not address the OP's issues directly.

Jason Gilbert

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

Thanks for your compassion. I also own a Surface 2, so I'm used to crying myself to sleep.

Jason Gilbert

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

Yeah, I really just wanted the nice new camera app, but it sounds like the answer is no, since I'll not be flashing my phone to Poland or any such thing. Thanks for everyone's input, be nice to each other.

Martsicky

May 18, 2013
Visit site
You never said... So I had to ask for clarification.

See, that is a more full explanation. However, your 930 is not an AT&T branded 830. Things often vary by model, Region, etc.

Yes, it is hopeless for me to comprehend. :winktongue:

According to the documentation the device must be debranded and flashed to the Poland CV. AT&T branded Lumia 830 can not be debranded. A very excellent and knowledgeable flasher/debrander/cross variant match selctor named pankaj981 lead me through a series of experiments via Registry Hack and we were unable to debrand an AT&T 830. Perhaps you know a way?

None of the comments I've looked through (and by no means have I read all 140+) have indicated success without debranding or on a current ROM other than Poland CV. Do you have evidence otherwise?

With all due respect, your experience and the contents of that web site do not address the OP's issues directly.

OP confused GDR2 update with Denim update in the first place. Then PepperdotNet made it clear to OP that he is wrong, and Denim was never available through Windows Insider Program; but also made a false statement that Windows Insider trick (to get a confused update) is not available at all.
That's why I quoted only the last part of his statement. Thought it will be clear enough.

I was able to get GDR2 update few days ago on my unbranded 930, and it was (or is) available to other devices also (including branded ones). I went through all the comments.

If Microsoft didn't fix it yet, it's still there... It's definitely not carrier nor region dependent. When the loop was firstly exposed about two months ago, everyone was able to get the GDR2 update.

EDIT: I can not help you. In EU you're free to debrand your phone with tools such as Nokia Product Support Tool, and Lumias don't have simlocks.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

EDIT: I can not help you. In EU you're free to debrand your phone with tools such as Nokia Product Support Tool, and Lumias don't have simlocks.

Yeah... And I'm a big advocate for people avoiding carrier branded phones. I appreciate the updates, it will give many hope. I just don't think the OP will see it come to fruition.

Martsicky

May 18, 2013
Visit site
Yeah... And I'm a big advocate for people avoiding carrier branded phones. I appreciate the updates, it will give many hope. I just don't think the OP will see it come to fruition.

AT&T already stated that Lumia 830 is likely to never get the Denim update. I understand that owners of AT&T's 830 feel cheated. Their phones aren't supporting features that were widely advertised, such as Lumia Camera 5.
It's a shame.

Martsicky

May 18, 2013
Visit site
I wasn't aware the slow ring still might work for update 2, thanks for the clarification.

No problem, just wanted to clear things up and explain what I was referring to. As I said, I'm not 100% sure if it's still there because I'm already running GDR2 on my main and only device.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
No problem, just wanted to clear things up and explain what I was referring to. As I said, I'm not 100% sure if it's still there because I'm already running GDR2 on my main and only device.
Checking now. I've got a 1020 as my daily phone, needs GDR2. I enabled Windows Insider and chose slow.

It's downloading 8.10.15116.125. That is GDR2, right guys?

Martsicky

May 18, 2013
Visit site
Checking now. I've got a 1020 as my daily phone, needs GDR2. I enabled Windows Insider and chose slow.

It's downloading 8.10.15116.125. That is GDR2, right guys?

yup Pepp, it's GDR2. Not sure, but I have uninstalled Windows Insider after downloading GDR2. Didn't want to download Windows 10 Mobile accidentally. ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans