How To: Flash ATT Lumia 830 (RM-983) with 8.1 Update 2 and Proper Denim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Update
AT&T is finally rolling out the Windows Phone 8.1 Denim update for its Lumia 830

Ignore the rest of this post unless you want to tinker...

Before you start

This is for Lumia 830 (RM-983) only, which is the ATT-US version of the phone. Note that this is a workaround at the moment, but with the brief appearance of the packages on the server there is hope that this will be available via OTA soon or back on the servers.

Potential Issues

consider these in your decision to upgrade the leaked update.
- Expected: this will wipe your phone (flash) and you will either start from scratch or do a restore from a previous backup.​
- No Call Forwarding: Call+ app crashes, codes do not work, using the phone app settings does not work, nor does network+. Workaround: call ATT to set it up over phone.

Background

As most of us with a Lumia 830 (RM-983) on ATT are aware, ATT has not provided a proper Denim firmware update to their customers since the phone was released, while most other Lumia 830 versions did receive full Denim. One of the most significant problems with the unfinished Denim was that Lumia Camera 5 would not work and the camera was missing essential pure view functionality. Netflix would not work without full Denim either. Of course there was no update to 8.1 Update 2 either from ATT, which added a number of OS enhancements to the phone.

After a number of folks here on WC decided to file BBB complaints and some took the arbitration route to get some response to this dilemma out of ATT (refund, exchange, actual information on fw update...), only sparse and conflicting information was available. You can find all the information (or the lack thereof) in this long thread.

However, after pfranceschi found a new rom via WPRT on 9/17 it is now possible to flash your L830 with 8.1 Update 2 and proper Denim. Daniel Rubino posted the news here. There weren't any official announcement about a release by ATT or MS. Why the files were available on the server and why they were removed is currently a mystery. Ashram found interesting information on the build date of the rom which indicates that this could have been available for almost 4 months already. Unfortunately, the rom has since been removed from the server and you have to download the packages from the links below.

TheSuperShoe has posted instructions on how to flash your L830 with Nokia Care Suite.
There are also instructions on XDA with screen shots on how to do this (Note for XDA instructions: you can start with point 6 after installing Nokia Care Suite and adding a folder "
C:\ProgramData\Nokia\Packages\Products\rm-983"). See also xconomicron's post below with an alternative route to flash your phone.

How to

Create Products folder
1. After installing Nokia Care Suite, browse to: C:\ProgramData\Nokia\Packages
2. Create a folder Products
3. Create a folder rm-983
5. You should now have a directory like: C:\ProgramData\Nokia\Packages\Products\rm-983\
6. Browse to the download folder you extracted (see packages link below)
7. Copy the entire folder contents and paste it into the C:\ProgramData\Nokia\Packages\Products\rm-983\ directory.

NokiaCareSuiteForStore (5.4.119.1432) Directions:
1. Launch Nokia Care Suite
2. Click the Product Support Tool for Store 5.0
3. Click File
4. Click Open Product
5. Choose RM-983 (Nokia Lumia 830)
6. On the bottom left click Programming
7. Click Recovery
8. You should see the firmware you downloaded and copied earlier under the Properties field.
9. Click Start
10. The software will check the package contents, it will fail to find the phone, and ask you to reboot and give you a button to click retry.

Phone Directions:
1. Plug the phone into your PC
2. Hold the Volume Down and the Power button, click RETRY on the Product Support Tools Window
Capture.PNG
You may have to try this a few times to get the timing right (from my past experience with L920).
3. Check your phone and flashing should start. Don't interupt flashing (duh). Keep your PS awake until it shows recovery completed.

Please check the instructions on XDA with screen shots for further help.​

Files needed

by TheSuperShoe (click here for thanks)
by Ashram (click here for thanks)
by DA (mirror of ashram's rar)​

Wrap-Up

After everyting is done you should have this information under Settings/About
Software: Windows Phone 8.1 Update 2
OS version: 8.10.15148.160
Firmware revision number: 02179.00000.15213.43037​

Please thank the folks above who made this possible (click the links for thanks pfranceschi, TheSuperShoe). Also, please let me know if I missed somebody or something. Hopefully, the fact that files showed up on the server is an indication that ATT will finally release full Denim and 8.1 Update 2 either on the servers or via OTA soon and this how to will become obsolete.

Disclaimer: I don't take any responsibility if your attempt in flashing your phone goes wrong and you brick it. Also, be warned that the packages may have been removed for a reason. E.g. it is possible that there is a problem with the rom in some form or another.

Last edited:

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Thanks! I assume using the Nokia Care Suite method will also wipe your phone, like the WPRT did?
Yes, that is correct. If that is an issue I suggest you wait some time. Maybe ATT/MS will finally get their act together.

From my own experience, after doing a backup and then flashing the phone it's not too painful to restore your phone with most of the previous settings and functions.

SilverSee

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for this.

This all worked for me, except the instructions to hold the Volume Up button on the phone. Tried this 3 or 4 times and the recovery would fail in each case. Finally, I just read the instructions in the dialog box for the Nokia Care Suite (duh!), which said the hold Power and Volume Down until you feel a vibration, then click Retry (no Volume Up). That did the trick. (In case this helps others.)

Mr_pither

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I was successful with these steps. Lumia Camera 5 and Netfiix now in effect on my at&t (blorg) Lumia 830.

Some faith restored now. Here's hoping for a home run on 10/06 to keep this rolling.

Thanks again to all involved in putting this together. :cool:

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for this.

hold Power and Volume Down until you feel a vibration, then click Retry (no Volume Up). That did the trick.
thanks, I checked the instructions and they were indeed different than on XDA. I corrected them and included the window you referred to. Thank you

Last edited:

jvanlew

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Thank you very much for compiling this information into one post. Very well done. I'm flashing proper Denim as I type this. Cheers!

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I installed this and can say the camera improvement is nice. So much faster to load and focus. Just like advertised 12 months ago. Sad that we have to work around this like this. They should roll it out now OTA and give people the phone they purchased.

anon(8648115)

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Alright I'm setting up Nokia Care Suite, but step six says 'browse to the download folder you extracted." What is that? I don't recall downloading anything else but the Care Suite

Edit: Nvm, the packages are at the bottom of the instructions. Didn't see that.

Last edited:

xconomicron

Sep 20, 2007
Visit site
Umm...Excuse me for saying this, but wouldn't it be just easier to use the Refurbish mode -instead of going into Recovery after the Data Package Manager detects the firmware you (put in the Packages folder)? I mean the NCS detects my 830 ... (always has...not sure if this is the case with everyone else?). If your 830 is detected by the NCS, you save quite a bit of steps doing it that way instead of going to Recovery mode.

Alternatively, you can also just take the .ffu file from the downloaded packages and use the Windows Phone Image Designer flashing tool to flash.

Just wondering...Your method is right and everything. Just that technically you could save about 5 steps if your 830 is already detected by the NCS with the Data Package Manager detecting the packages already.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Alright I'm setting up Nokia Care Suite, but step six says 'browse to the download folder you extracted." What is that? I don't recall downloading anything else but the Care Suite

Edit: Nvm, the packages are at the bottom of the instructions. Didn't see that.

Thanks, will clarify in post when back at pc..

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Umm...Excuse me for saying this, but wouldn't it be just easier to use the Refurbish mode -instead of going into Recovery after the Data Package Manager detects the firmware you (put in the Packages folder)? I mean the NCS detects my 830 ... (always has...not sure if this is the case with everyone else?). If your 830 is detected by the NCS, you save quite a bit of steps doing it that way instead of going to Recovery mode.

Alternatively, you can also just take the .ffu file from the downloaded packages and use the Windows Phone Image Designer flashing tool to flash.

Just wondering...Your method is right and everything. Just that technically you could save about 5 steps if your 830 is already detected by the NCS with the Data Package Manager detecting the packages already.

I don't know. Maybe...
I posted a method that worked time and time again and it's recommend on XDA. People already tried wprt and it did not work.
If you know a shorter way that can be confirmed I am happy to change the instructions.
Cheers

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
action sounds seem fixed after another factory reset.

as for the store bug... it seems to happen when jumping between networks and pausing/resuming various apps when downloading AND if for some reason apps default to the phone storage instead of SD card. Since it was late, I wanted to get my authenticator app running quickly so I don't forget in the morning before going to work, since I need it. checking through settings, I noticed everything but apps defaulted to the phone memory, so i swapped it back.

Seems like a planetary alignment level of things happened to cause the issues I had. I did a factory reset in the middle of the night, and when I woke up, 17 app "required attention", since the cannot be installed to the SD card. So a suggestion.... do a factory reset AFTER you update the phone/before restoring your backup.

Other than that.... surprising how this very forum has offered more info and support than AT&T on the matter! Great job everyone involved!!!

travis_valkyrie

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Wow that's one long tutorial... or you know you could just use WPID and the single FFU file to flash it straight to the phone. It's much simpler and probably saves like 80% of your time compared to using NCS.

xconomicron

Sep 20, 2007
Visit site
Hmm. Seems both ways are working for me? I do have the Data Package Manager installed on the NCS. That specific tutorial given on XDA doesn't. IF the Data Package Manager is installed you can skip the Recovery Mode part and just click Refurbish. The Nokia Care Suite + Data Package Manager (http://1drv.ms/1JhRcse)

Install the Nokia Care Suite and install the Data Package Manager. Copy and replace the UserGroupsConfiguration.cfg file to:

C://Program Files (x86)/Nokia/Nokia Care Suite/Data Package Manager/bin/ -on 64-bit machines
C://Program Files/Nokia/Nokia Care Suite/Data Package Manager/bin/ -on 32-bit machines

-Open the Nokia Care Suite and click Product Support Tool 5 > Click work offline mode
-Plug phone in and wait for it to detect it
-Under Programming Tab, click Refurbish
-Wait for it to restart your phone and flash
**Data Package Manager will automatically select the "Package" you created in the NCS earlier.

So I guess your method is probably the best alternative without having to install the DPM for the NCS.

Also I just flashed my phone with the .ffu file (taken from the package above in the tutorial) with the WPID using Khaagan's tutorial on XDA... Tutorial - Flash an Lumia device | Windows Phone 8 Development and Hacking | XDA Forums - Lumia Flash Tools (http://1drv.ms/1JhR4J5)

-Restart phone and get into FFU mode by holding vol up. Once you see the lightning strike and gear you are in FFU mode.
-Plug phone into computer and wait for WPID to detect
-Click "Change" and navigate to the .ffu file in the Package you downloaded above (ffu file should be the largest file in the folder)
-Phone will start to flash (you will not see it directly flash the image on the phone but the WPID will show the progress of the flash 0-100%)
-Phone will restart and viola your phone is now on GDR2-Full Denim

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb