Lumia 830 notifications completely unreliable (not working), how can I get them working again?

KrisKenesei

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Lumia 830 notifications completely unreliable (not working)

Hi. I've been a Windows Phone power user since 2010 and Windows Phone 7. I just got my Lumia 830, since I wanted to stick with the platform just because I'm loyal. I had a 925 before and that was not at all free from problems, but at least notifications were kinda okay.

So the problem is, that Skype usually does not display notifications, and since yesterday's complete outage, I can't use it AT ALL. Anything I enter and send just disappears. (It doesn't even get displayed on the screen.) Also, when it was still working, it took ages for it to connect and load my new messages - just as it was unable to send or very slow to send my messages after pressing the send button (about 50% of the time). It has barely worked normally ever, including voice calls: my phone only rings in about 50% of all cases.
Same goes for Messenger. It sometimes simply can not connect, just displays waiting for network and then I have to restart sometimes the phone itself to get it working again. It NEVER displays notification practically anymore, only from one specific group chat. But it always sends me notifications for all Messages that I HAVE ALREADY READ a few seconds after closing the app. It also sometimes struggles at sending messages, and also marks them as failed to send when actually they were very much sent as I even got an answer for them.

After 5 years I'm finally really contemplating moving to iPhone, as I just moved to university, and ALL of the university apps are also unavailable, not to speak about how these notification problems make every minute of using the phone a complete ANNOYANCE.

Does anyone have a fix, or just an idea of what might be causing this completely ridiculous behaviour of my phone? What should I do?

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Re: Lumia 830 notifications completely unreliable (not working)

Your title made it sound like all notifications are not working, glad i read through everything.

Have you tried uninstalling the apps and reinstalling them? Some apps let you cancel the restoring data feature when reinstalling (in the store/downloads section, once the app starts "restoring data" tap and hold and "cancel restore" should pop up)

Maybe a hard reset is needed? uninstall the affected apps, delete your online backup, create a new one and after it's created, then do a factory reset.

KrisKenesei

May 29, 2014
Visit site

I have tried reinstalling apps, with no luck. I can not get it to cancel restoring, and after reinstall the only thing that had changed is that all the profile pictures disappeared and are still missing 8 hours later. I still don't get notifications and everything I write still disappears. Skype also started to disconnect my calls after 3-5 minutes (and that's every time I make a Skype call). I'm starting to think that this is some kind of a bad joke.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site

Just out of curiosity, how to do you delete past online backups?

on a pc: onedrive.com, gear icon in upper right corner, options, device backups. you can delete your online backup.
on your phone: go to backups, apps+settings, manage backups, and wait.... then delete

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos