Good place to pick up an 830

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Looking to get an 830, so far eBay and amazon have options around $350, any other options I should consider, and is that a fair price for an 830 now? Thanks.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Seen a couple like that and sent them messages to ask if its the 985, one came back and said its in a warehouse and cant check, nothing from the others. Seems likely most US based ones are ATT ones if they don't explicitly call out the RM number. Thanks for your help though, seems I'll have to bite the bullet and spend more for one of the rare 985's that are listed.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
So is $350 a reasonable price for a new, boxed RM 985 830? Keeping in mind I have a 1020 with a dying display, diminishing battery life and no interest in the new W10 devices.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
So is $350 a reasonable price for a new, boxed RM 985 830? Keeping in mind I have a 1020 with a dying display, diminishing battery life and no interest in the new W10 devices.

I think that's way too much. I would still expect it to be in the low $200's at most.

I might consider others like the 930 at that price.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I think that's way too much. I would still expect it to be in the low $200's at most.

I might consider others like the 930 at that price.

Thats what i feel as well, but the RM 985 seems to be the only variant going for that price and there are only 5 options on ebay. Ironic that it seems to be the only WP device thats kepts its value after release.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
For some reason, it seems hard to find this device under $200. Does that even exist lol? There's also B&H though, but they only have the 830 in 2 colors, with some used options too. They have pretty good standards to sell used products.

gunmetalskyline

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
Hi I'm actually selling a Lumia 830 RM-985 in orange, I'm selling it on ebay and will soon be posting it here in the selling forum (once I figure out how to start my own thread!) for a lower price (Sans ebay fees ) today . Keep your eyes peeled !

gunmetalskyline

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
After reviewing the Market forum rules, It might be sometime before I am able to post an item for sell/buy/trade. sorry for the potential confusion.

Jason Gilbert

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Not to question your judgment, but as a current 830 owner, if I had to replace mine today I would look for a 640 or 640XL (probably the XL). Same specs for less, and a bigger screen in the case of the XL. I'm on AT&T, so I don't know which models are needed for T-Mobile, but it might give you a few more options and save some $$.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
For some reason, it seems hard to find this device under $200. Does that even exist lol? There's also B&H though, but they only have the 830 in 2 colors, with some used options too. They have pretty good standards to sell used products.

Yes, quite rare for this model at least. Lots of ATT versions going for $200 and under though. Thanks for the heads up on the used options on B&H, didn't see those listings. Now I have to decide if I can live with a silver/white phone and try and find a replacement black back cover or pay a bit extra for a black one.

Hi I'm actually selling a Lumia 830 RM-985 in orange, I'm selling it on ebay and will soon be posting it here in the selling forum (once I figure out how to start my own thread!) for a lower price (Sans ebay fees ) today . Keep your eyes peeled !

Thanks for the offer, not sure I can do orange though!

Last edited:

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
So I got a used 830 from B&H today (which looks flawless) and I'm only getting WP Update 1. Will using the windows device recovery tool get me up to update 2? Thanks.

Edit: well just downloaded and ran it and its downloading something, guess I'll cross my fingers and see what comes up!

Edit 2: update done and still on update 1, anyone have any ideas how to get to update 2? From my usage on my 1020 and previous 1520 it has some good BT improvements which are good to have when streaming music. Thanks.

Last edited:

mark233

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I've owned 3 RM-985 830's (now have LatinAmerican CV from B&H). The other two were: one NAM CV and one LAT CV ---- neither of these phones have received Update 2. All 3 phones were updated to latest OS via Windows Device Recovery Tool.......but doing that did not include Update 2 --- why? ---- heck I don't know :-/ Not that it mattered anyway.

decimus plancus

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
@theefman, nice to see a fellow t-mobile capable 830 hunter. I got one off eBay a couple of weeks ago. A bit banged up on a corner but great price. I also ended up getting a 930 but that's another story.

My 830 is a Brazil country variant and only has Update 1 as well. I have read about changing the phone country code and then the phone becomes available for update 2 but not ready to risk that yet.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I've owned 3 RM-985 830's (now have LatinAmerican CV from B&H). The other two were: one NAM CV and one LAT CV ---- neither of these phones have received Update 2. All 3 phones were updated to latest OS via Windows Device Recovery Tool.......but doing that did not include Update 2 --- why? ---- heck I don't know :-/ Not that it mattered anyway.

@theefman, nice to see a fellow t-mobile capable 830 hunter. I got one off eBay a couple of weeks ago. A bit banged up on a corner but great price. I also ended up getting a 930 but that's another story.

My 830 is a Brazil country variant and only has Update 1 as well. I have read about changing the phone country code and then the phone becomes available for update 2 but not ready to risk that yet.

I ran through this http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...stalling-wp-8-1-update-2-lumia-devices**.html yesterday and it worked, surprisingly easy in the end, just took my time with each step. And the reason I wanted to install update 2 was from my own experience; I had update 1 on my 1520 and playing music over BT would eventually cause the phone to reboot when you tried to open an app if BT had been in use for a while, sometimes I'd remember to turn it off but most times I would forget and then the phone would show "loading" then reboot. Update 2 greatly reduced this so was worth having.

List of features in Update 2 here: Windows Phone 8.1 Update 2 | Windows Central

decimus plancus

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
@theefman, thanks for the link. You are absolutely correct in that it was straightforward. Note to self: Preview for Developers != Windows Insider. That was the only hiccup.

So nice to have the grouped Setup app sections again (have it on my 640 and it's that way in W10M). Haven't had a chance to test the bluetooth enhancements yet.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos