Lumia 830 and Windows 10

AaronGraham

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
Hello,
It is rumoured that Windows 10 will become available for select Lumia devices today, with the current Insider Preview being the release version.

I am interested in upgrading my Lumia 830 to Windows 10, and have participated in the Insider Program with my old Lumia 720. I have a few specific questions that relate to the experience when using Windows 10:

1) How is performance? Is resuming/loading reduced?
2) What is the impact on battery life?
3) Is there any change in camera quality (like what has been reported about the Lumia 930)?

Hopefully someone can answer these questions.

Regards,
Aaron Graham.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
It is rumoured that Windows 10 will become available for select Lumia devices today, with the current Insider Preview being the release version.

Just to be clear, this is wrong.

Even if the rumored 17th release date is true, only some devices will be updated on the 17th, and even if some L830s are updated, not every L830 on every carrier in every region will be.

svknet

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I was on Insider build having 10586.122 update on my Lumia 830. After yesterday's rumored/offical update of W10M, I tried to change Insider from Slow Ring to Production. But I got error message that complete pending update. So I updated to .164. Then again I changed to Production Ring, and checked update. But phone is now displaying no update.
I have below version on Phone.
Version: 1511
Build: 10.0.10586.164
Firmware: 02177.00000.15184.36003

So wanted to know if this is indeed latest update on my Lumia 830 (India variant).

Besides what is this "Update Advisor" app. I can't find it on Store after searching.

AaronGraham

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
I have just upgraded my Lumia 830 through the Upgrade Advisor app.

The upgrade build is 10586.107, which is strange because Microsoft specifically mentioned that the .122 and .164 builds made improvements to the upgrade experience for Windows Phone 8.1 users. However, once .107 is installed there is a further update to .164 to be downloaded and installed from Settings. The entire upgrade from Windows Phone 8.1 to Windows 10 took just under 3 hours in total, which was much longer than I was expecting.

One of my biggest concerns was performance. I am relieved to say that this is largely a non-issue. The aging Snapdragon 400 and 1GB RAM is not performing as well as it did on Windows Phone 8.1, but nor it Windows 10 a terrible experience either. Apps that loaded instantly in the past (eg. Messaging) now take a second longer, and this is a theme throughout the entire operating system. In addition to this the lockscreen still exhibits that painful delay displaying the time more often than not, which is an issue which shouldn't affect a modern operating system in 2016. I have also noticed that some apps (notably Groove and 6Tag) do not display an icon on the All Apps list and are instead an accent coloured tile. This was also something I really hoped would have been solved.

One of my favourite new features is the ability to reply to a message straight from a notification without having to open the app. The new cursor option on the keyboard is an equally great addition as well, but there are several areas of regression. Cortana isn't anywhere near the level of polish as on Windows Phone 8.1 and the entire user interface looks rather hideous with white cards against a black background.

Camera performance seems largely unaffected, but it does take an extra second or two to open. The Camera app will open instantly, but it will remain black until it has finished loading. The Photos app on the other hand suffers from some real performance issues with thumbnails taking time to load and zooming be a less than smooth affair. Hopefully some app updates will fix these issues.

I am not going to debate the pros and cons of upgrading to Windows 10, because they are too numerous to even begin to discuss. If you are happy with Windows 10 and its direction, then it makes for a decent upgrade on the Lumia 830. It performs fine and the phone remains usable, and some of the new features are really nice. If you want to find out more about my experience you can read my blog.

I will not be updating my own Lumia 930 to Windows 10 because I don't feel it is ready, especially with regards to the camera and video experience suffering. However, this Lumia 830 is used intensively as a daily driver by another family member and so far it has made for a solid experience with no serious complaints.

AaronGraham

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
^^^ What is Build/Firmware Version you getting on Lumia 830 after W10M upgrade?
Which country variant?

As stated above the build was 10586.107, before then updating again to 10586.164. The country variant is UK and the network is EE, although the phone itself is unlocked. I haven't noticed any changes in the firmware version but will double check later on today.

svknet

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
As stated above the build was 10586.107, before then updating again to 10586.164. The country variant is UK and the network is EE, although the phone itself is unlocked. I haven't noticed any changes in the firmware version but will double check later on today.
Thanks. I also have .164 update got with Insider build. So I am interested in Firmware version, as Firmware upgrade brings updated drivers and other fine-tuning to hardware components of phone.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I got the update yesterday, without having to install UpdateAdvisor

Carrier: Unbranded
Model: Lumia 830

Based on MS' remarks there is no difference in OS or firmware between the insider preview and the build they released yesterday to all devices. If you were on the insider preview with build 164, then you've already got what was released yesterday. Hence, changing to the production track will change the track you're on, but not the build.

wp_ss_20160318_0001.png

AaronGraham

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
Thanks. I also have .164 update got with Insider build. So I am interested in Firmware version, as Firmware upgrade brings updated drivers and other fine-tuning to hardware components of phone.

My firmware revision number is 02177.00000.15184.36007. Is this the same as yours?

AaronGraham

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
I updated to win 10 yesterday and have to say that the battery discharge rate is pretty alarming compared to what it was on 8.1.

I haven't really noticed a big difference in battery life? Are you on the latest .164 build and have you checked Battery Saver to see what is draining it?

Jean_Philippe VERT

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Hello,

Quick question: as my carrier may take several weeks to release W10M, which ring should I take in Insider Preview to be par with the RTM? Insider Release Preview?

fancyabrew

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
yep I agree battery drain is REALLY bad! Also my 830 updated from 8.1 last night to build 10.0.10586.107 but now it says there's another update (build 10.0.10586.164) but it won't install fails with 0x800f081f.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss