L830 getting hot on Wireless Charger?

omerfbingol

Mar 20, 2015
Visit site
Hi,
I've started using my Lumia 830 for about a week now, and the thing I'm concerned about is, the hotness it gets on the Qi charger (Nokia DT-900). I've used the same charger with my previous phone, Lumia 920; but I don't recall it getting this hot. I mean, Lumia 920 used to get hot even on a Cellular Data connection anyway, so it was a bit difficult to know which was the issue, but now that I use my new 830 on a more heavy daily usage (it lasts longer-yay) and not get hot at all (even when charging with the original 1.5A wall charger), I don't understand how it gets hot like that. Is it because of the metal frame and the magnetic field? Or should I try different positions to place the phone on the charging pad?

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Hi,
I've started using my Lumia 830 for about a week now, and the thing I'm concerned about is, the hotness it gets on the Qi charger (Nokia DT-900). I've used the same charger with my previous phone, Lumia 920; but I don't recall it getting this hot. I mean, Lumia 920 used to get hot even on a Cellular Data connection anyway, so it was a bit difficult to know which was the issue, but now that I use my new 830 on a more heavy daily usage (it lasts longer-yay) and not get hot at all (even when charging with the original 1.5A wall charger), I don't understand how it gets hot like that. Is it because of the metal frame and the magnetic field? Or should I try different positions to place the phone on the charging pad?

try charging when not using the phone and it's not doing anything - no wifi/cellular, see if there's any difference
And try your suggestion too of different positions

omerfbingol

Mar 20, 2015
Visit site
Tried in the airplane mode, no use.

I will start positioning my phone right on the middle of its Qi board facing the charger's coil. By my calculations, phone's bottom end should be about 1 cm (0.4 in) above the bottom end of the charger. I have no idea what I'm doing, and probably this is not how it works, but I was bored and made a graphic about the calculations :)
2016-07-11 (5).png

It says on the manual that both the phone and the charger could get warm. I guess, it's acceptable this way. If ain't broke, don't fix it; so I'm just gonna leave this funny image here...

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Hot vs warm is pretty subjective unless we are talking about specifics (actual temperatures). The Lumia 830 like any other Wireless charging supported device does get warm while charging via the Qi charger.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786