Having Trouble Reverting Back to 8.1?

richv77

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
I have tried to revert back to OS 8.1 a few times today but the Windows Device Recovery Tool reports - Operation ended with a failure.

The Lumia 830 is on the Windows Insider Fast track and I even Factory Reset it before trying again.

I am using my 830 as a testing device and decided to keep that on the OS that shipped with it.

Thanks for your comments.

-Rich

ads13

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site
I have tried to revert back to OS 8.1 a few times today but the Windows Device Recovery Tool reports - Operation ended with a failure.

-Rich

* you need fast internet speed.
At least 67kbps downloading speed.

* you need to full charge your phone which prevent from you operation Failure

richv77

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
I have already downloaded the 1.7GB image I believe. My Lumia 830 does have a Wireless connection although I do not know how fast it is.
My desktop PC is on a LAN. And my battery level is currently at 88% and it's plugged in to my PC via USB of course.

-Rich

* you need fast internet speed.
At least 67kbps downloading speed.

* you need to full charge your phone which prevent from you operation Failure

ads13

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site
I have already downloaded the 1.7GB image I believe. My Lumia 830 does have a Wireless connection although I do not know how fast it is.
My desktop PC is on a LAN. And my battery level is currently at 88% and it's plugged in to my PC via USB of course.

-Rich

Ok!

* Do soft reset. Backup your data.

*Otherwise hard reset your phone via Settings OR switching off your phone(if you need assistance,tell me).
Then try it...

richv77

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
I have tried everything... soft reset followed by a Hard Reset. Same Error message.

I thought I read you cannot revert back from the Anniversary update after a certain period of time.

Thanks for your comments.

-Rich

Ok!

* Do soft reset. Backup your data.

*Otherwise hard reset your phone via Settings OR switching off your phone(if you need assistance,tell me).
Then try it...

KefKef

Jan 10, 2016
Visit site
I have tried everything... soft reset followed by a Hard Reset. Same Error message.

I thought I read you cannot revert back from the Anniversary update after a certain period of time.

This is not correct. Old models, originally on 8.1 still keep the possibility to revert to original OS through WDRT. However, one cannot use Redstone_1 (10.0.14393) Backup on Onedrive to restore on a Threshold_2 (10.0.10586) builds.

Concerning your problem, more info would be useful:
- What RM is your phone?
- What version of Firmware is on the phone, and what version does WDRT offer?
- When does the error you mention show? Does the flashing progress bar start? Does it break somewhere during progress or does the progress bar come to the end?

Before trying again, disable all anti virus software and firewall, stop all running programs, try with a different USB port and cable, try on a different PC...

richv77

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
This is not correct. Old models, originally on 8.1 still keep the possibility to revert to original OS through WDRT. However, one cannot use Redstone_1 (10.0.14393) Backup on Onedrive to restore on a Threshold_2 (10.0.10586) builds.

Concerning your problem, more info would be useful:
- What RM is your phone? 983 (Lumia 830)
- What version of Firmware is on the phone, and what version does WDRT offer? 02179.00000.15455.24047
- When does the error you mention show? Does the flashing progress bar start? Does it break somewhere during progress or does the progress bar come to the end? I am using a different Windows 10 PC today and I receive a different Error -

There was a problem while downloading the software package.

OS Build:

I have tried a different cable also.

Thanks for your help.

-Rich

Before trying again, disable all anti virus software and firewall, stop all running programs, try with a different USB port and cable, try on a different PC...

richv77

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
Well my Office PC does have a working Internet connection. I even restarted my PC.
This has been happening since early this morning. I have tried a dozen times.

Very strange.

-Rich

This indicate network communications problems, and flash cannot even start.

KefKef

Jan 10, 2016
Visit site
Look in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Packages\Products\RM-984\. There should be 16 new files with the same date/time stamp if download was successful.

Check your Temp folder, there should be log files similar to this:
"thor2_win_20160820152852_ThreadId-5728.log". There should be 5 of them (4 small and one big) if the flashing process ended successfully.
These log files will give you clues to what went wrong.

richv77

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
Update: I was finally able to reload 8.1 using my home laptop. It took some effort as I had to uninstall the older version (WDRT) and reinstall the latest one. For some reason it would not auto-update.

Thanks to all for your comments.

Have a great day.

-Rich

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb