Battery Life and LTE

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Correct, Nokia (well, in truth MS) doesn't allow end users to disable dual mode operation. The OS its self handels this. When it is connected to LTE it disables the HSPA+ radio and when it can't find LTE it disables that radio. On Verizon, they couldn't do this because CDMA and LTE or totally incompatible, but LTE is an evolution of GSM, so this switching is possible. Add that to the fact that these phones are using more efficient, second gen LTE chips, and battery life won't be as bad as many are fearing.

hmmm,

actually LTE is not a evolution of GSM.
GSM evolved into HSPA+

LTE is a completely new technologies.

Anolog=1g
CDMA = 2g
GSM = 2g/3g
HSPA= 3G
LTE = 4G

Most people dont know that cause carriers past HSPA as a 4G witch it is NOT!!!

also if you dont have LTE reception and only HSPA .. your LTE stay on and in CONSTANTLY SEARCHING . ( juts like a wifi or blue-tooth connection ) and that what drains the battery. and thats why it sucks that you cant manually turn off LTE.

meaning if you always have LTE your battery will last longer then being in a area that doesn't have LTE.

and considering we are starting to see second generation LTE chips it helps a little but it still worst then HSPA.

jeremyshaw

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
hmmm,

GSM evolved into HSPA+

Anolog=1g
CDMA = 2g
GSM = 2g/3g
HSPA= 3G
LTE = 4G

also if you dont have LTE reception and only HSPA .. your LTE stay on and in CONSTANTLY SEARCHING . ( juts like a wifi or blue-tooth connection ) and that what drains the battery. and thats why it sucks that you cant manually turn off LTE.

meaning if you always have LTE your battery will last longer then being in a area that doesn't have LTE.

and considering we are starting to see second generation LTE chips it helps a little but it still worst then HSPA.

Technically, LTE evolved out of the 3GPP working group (and not the 3GPP2 of CDMA), which means it is the next step from GSM, though the technology is seperate.

kenosando#AC

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
hmmm,

Most people also think the current LTE networks are 4G compliant, but they are not. It is a "first draft" of the 4G network, but it is not compliant with the threshold that defines 4G networks. Thus, Sprint (Wi-Max) and T-Mobile/AT&T (HSPA) can also say they have a 4G network, although they also fall below the thresholds. There is not a 4G network currently deployed, but the great thing about the LTE network is it can be upgraded over time, much like the 3G network had an "enhanced" 3G with HSDPA (3.5G).

LTE is the closest we have, simply because the backend technology can be improved without rebuilding the network. It will then be up to the phones to support the increased speeds.

SOURCE: LTE

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
hmmm,

GSM evolved into HSPA+

Anolog=1g
CDMA = 2g
GSM = 2g/3g
HSPA= 3G
LTE = 4G

Several things. First, HSPA+ can be called 4G according to the ITU (who is the governing body over that sort of thing). A quote from their official release: "...?4G?, although it is recognized that this term, while undefined, may also be applied to the forerunners of these technologies, LTE and WiMax, and [BOLD]to other evolved 3G technologies providing a substantial level of improvement in performance and capabilities with respect to the initial third generation systems now deployed.[/BOLD]" The bold is what would apply to HSPA+. Second, I know that the technologies are separate, but it evolved out of HSPA in the same way that HSPA evolved out of GSM. They are all the same "school" of wireless technology. This would be opposed to the CDMA technology branch from which WiMax was born.
Second, in a link shared earlier, it explains about the differences in passive tri-mode that AT&T LTE phone utilize vs. forced dual-mode that Verizon uses. I'm not going to rehash it here, go read it.
Technically, LTE evolved out of the 3GPP working group (and not the 3GPP2 of CDMA), which means it is the next step from GSM, though the technology is seperate.
Thank you for understanding what I meant.

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
i know how it works lol . i just tried to dumb it down.

i work for a carrier ;)

So did the fellow at Verizon who recommend me buying a used HTC Touch on Ebay when I asked about Windows Phone 7 devices. Working at a carrier does not auto-magically mean that you know all about everything wireless.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon