Battery Life and LTE

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
What do you think we can expect with the battery life on the Lumia 900?

The battery itself is pretty substantial. 1850mhz I think?

And as I understand it (and I could be completely wrong), two antenna don't have to be on simultaneously like they do with CDMA/LTE phones. And LTE itself isn't really much more of a battery hog than GSM. So perhaps we might be pleasantly surprised by the battery life?

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
actually its 1840mah not 1850mah.. LOL!! ;)

as for the battery... its gona suck lol. im sorta sad its a LTE phone...

sure LTE does 75mb sec and the nokia supports 50MB sec.... but i dont download 2G movies on my phone so its 100% useless.... and its gona kill my battery..

i barely do 1 day as it is.

with that said im hesitant to switch to this Nokia because of battery.

people want LTE but it drains your battery faster.
People want Duel-core but it drains your battery faster
People want better battery but.........

you cant have it all...

Last edited:

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
i just hope its as good as my old iphone 3gs... which was nice as far as battery life and stby....

it wont be..... Iphone 3Gs is better on battery ( AMOLED alone will kill the battery if you have allot of light colors and leave brightness on max )

but the NOKIA doesnt allow you to turn off duel-band.. so its gona KILL the battery.

1830 mAh (not mhz)

Milliampere-hours, not megahertz. Our batteries aren't computer processors

LOL! and its 1840Mah not 1830 MAh ;) LOL * just playing* ;)

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
it wont be..... Iphone 3Gs is better on battery ( AMOLED alone will kill the battery if you have allot of light colors and leave brightness on max )

but the NOKIA doesnt allow you to turn off duel-band.. so its gona KILL the battery.

LOL! and its 1840Mah not 1830 MAh ;) LOL * just playing* ;)

Correct, Nokia (well, in truth MS) doesn't allow end users to disable dual mode operation. The OS its self handels this. When it is connected to LTE it disables the HSPA+ radio and when it can't find LTE it disables that radio. On Verizon, they couldn't do this because CDMA and LTE or totally incompatible, but LTE is an evolution of GSM, so this switching is possible. Add that to the fact that these phones are using more efficient, second gen LTE chips, and battery life won't be as bad as many are fearing.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Nokia has stated 7 hours talk time on the 900 so we will have to wait and see.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

ZombieBacchus

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft really needs to think about adding an option on the OS for us to manually turn off LTE. There are many times throughout the day that I just dont need LTE but it will be sucking my battery down. That is the one good thing about Android phones is that the OS gives you the ability to switch LTE off. Please make this so on Windows Phone.

jeremyshaw

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft really needs to think about adding an option on the OS for us to manually turn off LTE. There are many times throughout the day that I just dont need LTE but it will be sucking my battery down. That is the one good thing about Android phones is that the OS gives you the ability to switch LTE off. Please make this so on Windows Phone.

Not all, and I believe no stock device, allows you to do this. Maybe rooted/custom ROM android, however....

I know there are ways via APN settings, though that ends up being a mess, too (for AT&T it kills the LTE-only Visual Voicem.... OMG VISUAL VOICEMAIL!! It better get to WP7 now! No more excuses, AT&T!).

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I think it would be neat if LTE automatically shuts off when the phone is asleep and then turns back on when you unlock it. Afterall, live tiles don't need LTE to push updates.

fogel35

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Correct, Nokia (well, in truth MS) doesn't allow end users to disable dual mode operation. The OS its self handels this. When it is connected to LTE it disables the HSPA+ radio and when it can't find LTE it disables that radio. On Verizon, they couldn't do this because CDMA and LTE or totally incompatible, but LTE is an evolution of GSM, so this switching is possible. Add that to the fact that these phones are using more efficient, second gen LTE chips, and battery life won't be as bad as many are fearing.

I don't think it will disable the HSPA+ radio since that handles the calls for the phone. More likely it will turn on LTE when it is available. Once LTE upgrades to LTE advanced with VoLTE it will be interesting.

Will be interesting to see how WP handles battery on LTE.

DougB541#CB

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
I don't think Microsoft would just add it to add it with no off toggle if it didn't at least handle data smartly.

What if it handled LTE like wifi where its not active unless the phone is being used?

I have faith its not an android move of just throwing **** in with out optimizing things.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
Two things: It's Nokia and it's not a CDMA carrier w/ LTE capabilities. Both of which will contribute to better battery life than on Verizon.

It won't be "the best", but I'm almost positive it'll be way better than Verizon's LTE. AT&T has already said that their battery life will be better and the devices will be thinner as well. The thinner parts seems to be true already, comparing it to the the GSM Galaxy Nexus vs. the Verizon Galaxy Nexus.

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Are you sure? The Lumia 800 allows you to turn of the 3G radio manually*, I wouldn't think that the 900 would be any different, and since there is not a production unit of the 900, I don't think we can say for sure one way or the other.

*SOURCE: Lumia 800 User Guide - page 38

All WP devices can disable data. Based on what people found on the LTE Titan II, you can still disable data, you just can't choose to disable LTE data and HSPA+ data separately. Since Nokia said they didn't want to customize Windows Phone and fracture the ecosystem, people (myself included) are assuming it will be the same situation on the 900 as the Titan II.

I don't think it will disable the HSPA+ radio since that handles the calls for the phone. More likely it will turn on LTE when it is available. Once LTE upgrades to LTE advanced with VoLTE it will be interesting.

Will be interesting to see how WP handles battery on LTE.

I think you are probably correct.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss