02-03-2012 09:50 AM
136 1234 ...
tools
    The Focus is not even available on Tmobile, and even if it was I'd rather have the Lumia.
    I would rather have a 710 over the Focus S, but this just because I'm so disgusted with Samsung still after my Focus r1.4. I'm sure many people would prefer the 710 over the Focus flash though... The best competition against the 710 is the Radar, but it's a different style with similar specs, so it's really just each persons preference...

Thier first entry into the US market is with a subpar opening price point phone that doesnt even match up against the Samsung Focus.

Now they announce thier "Flagship" phone and dont offer it in 32gb version. What a missed opportunity to actually release a product that would be a step up on the competition. From a spec perspective, they are releasing a phone that is no better than anything that is out on the market. WP allows for so few differentiating factors but memory is where one OEM can actually take the lead. What a shame. And this is after entering the market a year late in the first place. I have no sympathy for what becomes of them.

Sent from my TITAN using Board Express
    01-14-2012 08:27 AM
    In case you guys missed the point of this post it was a shot at the 710, not the 900. If he meant the 900 it was a mistake to call it Nokia's first US phone. The Lumia has only 8gb of storage, so his post is all messed up and he's obviously just an Android fan trolling, thinking WP users need the specs to run decent (like Android).
    My Titan runs great with 16gb... Mostly because with SkyDrive my photos are automatically backed up, so I can delete them whenever I want off my phone. I only need my favorite artists in my music collection, because smart DJ did a great job if streaming similar music. I have a ton of apps... Not sure why I would need 32gb...
    Anyway.. To finish my rant.. If Lumia line was android based, people might care about the specs more, but with WP, most of us here just don't need the top of the line specs with 32gb of storage... Our phones run smooth as silk, and a lot of our data is stored in the cloud.

01-14-2012 08:42 AM
    In case you guys missed the point of this post it was a shot at the 710, not the 900. If he meant the 900 it was a mistake to call it Nokia's first US phone. The Lumia has only 8gb of storage, so his post is all messed up and he's obviously just an Android fan trolling, thinking WP users need the specs to run decent (like Android).
    My Titan runs great with 16gb... Mostly because with SkyDrive my photos are automatically backed up, so I can delete them whenever I want off my phone. I only need my favorite artists in my music collection, because smart DJ did a great job if streaming similar music. I have a ton of apps... Not sure why I would need 32gb...
    Anyway.. To finish my rant.. If Lumia line was android based, people might care about the specs more, but with WP, most of us here just don't need the top of the line specs with 32gb of storage... Our phones run smooth as silk, and a lot of our data is stored in the cloud.

This is exactly what I am talking about, this post is not in the spirit of WPC. You are not a Moderator on these forums stop acting like you are. Its not for you to decide what someone is. Stop Trolling this thread yes I said it you are trolling. I have posted more than once in these forums that calling someone a troll is a forum of trolling. Next time you do that you will get a warning fallowed by an infraction. If you can't contribute to this thread in a positive way move on to another thread.
    01-14-2012 09:00 AM
    Im new here and just a regular un-informed consumer when it comes to phones...

I joined this forum because I want a Windows phone and now I know I want a Lumia 900. If you check my posts, you'll see that's true. I held the 900 a few days ago and thought it confirmed what I was looking for.

HOWEVER, is 16GB enough for me? I have never even once looked at my storage since buying my now-ancient Iphone 2 years ago. It's 32mb. I just looked now and I see Im usung 15.7GB; 10 of which is music. It makes me want to re-think the switch. The Nokia people sold me on Zune this week at CES and I was just talking to my wife about how I'll down load everything I can becuase of Zune's pricing model (im on a plane a lot; need to download, no streaming). Perhaps the Zune conversion will derease my music file size? Or is there something else I should know before worrying that 16 is too small for me?
    01-14-2012 09:05 AM
    Christ I'm sick of the "We don't think anyone should have a choice because I'm too much of a tight arse to pay for a higher model" group, it's really getting old.

iPhone release, go to buy one, "I'll have a 32GB please!" "Oh sorry, they're sold out, we only have 16Gb or 8Gb".

They might sell more low end overall, but it's always the high end that sells first and sells out.

Plenty of us that have 2-3 year old 32gb phones that don't want to downgrade our storage and manage playlists weekly.

It's generally those that spring for the top model higher capacity that are the most likely to convince their friends to buy a similar product.

You have your device and you know what you like just like you have your opinion which you are certainly entitled. There are probably lots of people in the same situation that you are. I understand and agree with that I dont know if folks in your situation are in the majority or the minority. I dont listern to a lot of music I listen to tunedin radio and I listen to music on the desktop not so much on the phone. Dont have a big playlist so the storage memory even with 8 gb is fine. Sure I would like to have more storage memory in theory whether I need it or nots its nice to have that option. But for the way I use my device. Its not a necessity; for you more of a necessity. I would say that 32 GB devices are coming and larger than that as well. Lets all work together to grow the WP base for a better experience for all of us. There's room for all sorts of devices low, mid range and high end.
    01-14-2012 09:38 AM
    These threads.... It's easy for us who are clearly 'spec sheet' minded to criticize every little difference between models but really, next time you are in the pub, go up to an iPhone, Android or even WP7 user for that matter and see how many of their phones specs they can tell you. The vast majority of consumers aren't bothered about gigahertz and screen resolutions and the like, they respond to a quality build, good looks, ease of use and accessibility to the features they use most (i.e. social networking) All of these things are represented incredibly well by Nokia's product range. That point, combined with a savvy marketing campaign to illicit that elusive 'cool factor' trumps raw specs any day.
    Residing and Reflexx like this.
    01-14-2012 11:03 AM
    These threads.... It's easy for us who are clearly 'spec sheet' minded to criticize every little difference between models but really, next time you are in the pub, go up to an iPhone, Android or even WP7 user for that matter and see how many of their phones specs they can tell you. The vast majority of consumers aren't bothered about gigahertz and screen resolutions and the like, they respond to a quality build, good looks, ease of use and accessibility to the features they use most (i.e. social networking) All of these things are represented incredibly well by Nokia's product range. That point, combined with a savvy marketing campaign to illicit that elusive 'cool factor' trumps raw specs any day.
    Space isnt a problem until it's a problem. See my post two above this. Im that guy in the pub you describe. You're right, I'd have no clue what my data use situation is unless it's a problem. That reality shouldnt be ignored or written off. I want to use large PPT files on my WP; will that be a problem too?

Road warriors like me want the Office functionality of WP and we want everything that our current phones give us (including 10+ gigs of music). If we cant get that on WP, that's a problem. Im hoping it's not a problem and Im hoing this forum will help me work through that instead of just writing off circumstances like mine as an abberation.
    01-14-2012 12:38 PM
    Hardware specs don't mean anything when the phone works better than phone with triple the specs. Just look at how crappy windows is compared to mac.
    01-14-2012 12:40 PM
    Thier first entry into the US market is with a subpar opening price point phone that doesnt even match up against the Samsung Focus.
    I weep for you.
    01-14-2012 01:04 PM
    I don't know how anyone can say that people don't need more than 16Gb and that it doesn't matter because there is cloud storage. The thing is, you can't use cloud storage when you don't have a signal, it uses data (which is limited), and it uses more battery. I personally would like 64Gb, but I know that's not coming for a while. I'm extremely surprised they don't have 32Gb in any of them in the U.S. yet. That's my biggest problem with Windows Phone and yet I still bought a Trophy to hold me over until Verizon gets a better Windows Phone. I do think the storage issue will get better over time, though.
    01-14-2012 03:13 PM
    I don't know how anyone can say that people don't need more than 16Gb and that it doesn't matter because there is cloud storage. The thing is, you can't use cloud storage when you don't have a signal, it uses data (which is limited), and it uses more battery. I personally would like 64Gb, but I know that's not coming for a while. I'm extremely surprised they don't have 32Gb in any of them in the U.S. yet. That's my biggest problem with Windows Phone and yet I still bought a Trophy to hold me over until Verizon gets a better Windows Phone. I do think the storage issue will get better over time, though.
    My mac on has 56 gb on it and thats a computer. I would rather pay less for 16 gb or be forced to pay for memory that I don't use.
    01-14-2012 05:06 PM
    I am actually one of the 99% who is fine with 16GB's. If a Nokia Windows phone ever came to Verizon, I would be all over that. :)
    01-14-2012 05:27 PM
    If you need 32 GB, then it may a good idea to wait for a month or two after the 900 launches. If sales are good, then AT&T may ask for a 32 GB version.
    01-14-2012 06:33 PM
    it can come in 8gb and id still wouldnt fill it

sEnT fRoM mY TiTaN(iC) BeAsT
    01-14-2012 07:17 PM
    I don't need 32GB, (**** I haven't filled up the 8GB on my Focus yet), but I do agree it should be an option for those who need/want it. Too much is better than not enough, I say.
    01-14-2012 07:18 PM
    This thread is great and it I will come back to it in half a year. After Nokia and WP7 have entered the market.
    01-15-2012 09:35 AM
    I can understand that there are people that need 32 gb. Personally, I am fine with the 16 on my Trophy. It would be nice if it were 32, but not necessary. I would probably just fill it mostly with movies for long plane rides. I'm not sure I would pay more for a 32gb version, but I guess it would be nice to have the choice.
    01-15-2012 09:51 AM
    Like anything in this world, if you don't like it buy something else instead. No one is forcing you, and just because Nokia doesn't make an exact version you would like, it doesn't mean they're failing, in fact it lets us know that you're a failing human being.

My Acura doesn't come in my favourite color, therefore Acura is a failing company.

Good logic, try again.
    01-15-2012 10:13 AM
    Couple of things:

1) Saying HTC has quality control issues is unforunded. I have had HTCs going back to the old XV series Win Mobile phones and the build quality was always top notch.

2) 16GB is sufficient for now, especially as the phone has other selling points (LTE, the new polycarbonate unibody, the best phonre camera out there period). That said, the REAL solution to all this is having the Windows Phones include Micro SD slots and the OS able to use the memory properly. Then the users who want more than 16 just buy a card.
    01-15-2012 02:09 PM
    Those automatic upload photos are half the size of the original photos. No one who uses their phone camera seriously would waste data ir battery life with that feature. Mobile full 3g signal here gives me speeds less than 200kbps do u Ivan hive two feces about the cloud.

32gb option or SD slot is needed otherwise they ar locking out even some feature phone users from "upgrading" to their platform. Its a pretty simple concept.

A flagship phone is just that. Flagship. Amazing. Its not just a bigger clone of an old design. Is Noki the new HTC?

Sent from my HD7 using Board Express
    01-15-2012 02:59 PM
    Additionally , media isn't the only thing you need space for. Offline maps weigh how much? Tree are games weighing in anywhere from 50-200mb, and they generally use lower red assets than I.e. The iPhone version or even some Android ports. PDF files can be big. If you get lots of email attachments that can add up, as well as synching multiple email accounts.

The low storage is a real issue and I don't understand the "works for me" reactions to these frustrations.

01-15-2012 03:04 PM
    Couple of things:

1) Saying HTC has quality control issues is unforunded. I have had HTCs going back to the old XV series Win Mobile phones and the build quality was always top notch.

2) 16GB is sufficient for now, especially as the phone has other selling points (LTE, the new polycarbonate unibody, the best phonre camera out there period). That said, the REAL solution to all this is having the Windows Phones include Micro SD slots and the OS able to use the memory properly. Then the users who want more than 16 just buy a card.
    HTC has some of the worst cameras in the industry for years. Try still haven't patched Te HD7 pink tint issue. Their screen technology use generally lagged Samsung, Apple, Sony, and even LG.

They tend to use SD instead of NAND internal storage. Their construction is hit and miss. The HD7 construction leave much to be desired for example I just replaced one that had a stuck volume rocker.

HTc isn't what they were years ago, even they admitted as much recently. They have been concentrating on flooding the market with tons of handsets, rather than creating quality handsets. The Titan is nothing mentionable from a build quality point of view. It feel like a $2 phone compared to an i4/4s, for example. Samsung isn't any better, but they put more are into their internals and making sure obvious stuff is is correct, unlike HTC.

01-15-2012 03:12 PM
    HTC has some of the worst cameras in the industry for years. Try still haven't patched Te HD7 pink tint issue. Their screen technology use generally lagged Samsung, Apple, Sony, and even LG.

They tend to use SD instead of NAND internal storage. Their construction is hit and miss. The HD7 construction leave much to be desired for example I just replaced one that had a stuck volume rocker.

HTc isn't what they were years ago, even they admitted as much recently. They have been concentrating on flooding the market with tons of handsets, rather than creating quality handsets. The Titan is nothing mentionable from a build quality point of view. It feel like a $2 phone compared to an i4/4s, for example. Samsung isn't any better, but they put more are into their internals and making sure obvious stuff is is correct, unlike HTC.

Okay, what you're relating runs counter not only to my experience but that of a lot of people. I have an HTC now (TBolt) and have had the Incredible, and a series of XVs and other "verizon branded" HTC smartphones before that (as stated). Every one was built tightly, the screens were uniformly excellent (my TB has much superior color balance than the more lauded Samsungs) and I also prefer my phones to not be cheap plastic crud (like Samsung's stuff is). And my Tbolt camera gives me better pictures than most phone cameras (including the iPhone 4s - we compared them) as mine have no tint and natural colors (the wide aperature helps among other things).

If HTC were putting out an LTE Windows Phone on Verizon I would be in line for it. However, the 900 sounds like a very high quality phone as well, and the Nokia camera with their Zeiss optics have historically been (and no doubt still are) best of breed. Put this puppy out on Verizon and I would be up for it.
    01-15-2012 03:37 PM
    My biggest complaint against Windows phone 7 is how little progress has been made over the course of 1.5 years

I just got a windows phone recently, I need a keyboard, so I got an LG quantum(there is almost no choice, if you want a keyboard you can only pick between LG and Dell)

It's a first gen device, but almost no progress has been made with windows phones in more than a year!

for instance, look at the HTC radar, it seems to have lower specs than my quantum!

The lack of progress is really maddening, the only real progress made between the 1st gen and 2nd gen devices seems to be the cpu (some 2nd gen devices have 1.4 ghz cpus, instead of the 1ghz on 1st gen devices)

lack of choices and lack of progress is really not doing any favors for windows phone
    01-15-2012 05:37 PM
    Nokia and the other manufacturers are really selling to you and me, they are selling to the networks and the networks want to push more data packages as they will make more money hence why they love skydrive and iCloud.
    On the SD Card slots I think they are a security issue and can see why Microsoft wouldn't want them once they start producing a more enterprise focused phone (with the relevant server side products).
    01-15-2012 05:41 PM
136 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD