Nokia shows why it is a failing company.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
As I have said before. The trolls come out in droves. When the platform starts to pick up steam. So be prepared for the inevitable outcome to come.

P.s.
Troll repellant is expensive, so just use a 48 inch Louisville Slugger.

This is so true. Since WP is getting more exposure, I'm noticing serious trolling on the internet!

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
For the OP. Once again, the 900 has nothing to do with Nokia, and everything to do with AT&T. It's. An "exclusive" phone. We already know (Fujitsu) that 32 GB is possible. I am sure AT&T said something like, "what about a second model with 32GB". And Nokia replied, "no problem, as long as you order the 2M minimum". To which AT&T responded, "not right now". Its all economics. No conspiracies. Get all your friends, with lower memory needs, to buy a 900 and when they reach about 1M/week, AT&T will give you what you wished for. Simple.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Thier first entry into the US market is with a subpar opening price point phone that doesnt even match up against the Samsung Focus.

Now they announce thier "Flagship" phone and dont offer it in 32gb version. What a missed opportunity to actually release a product that would be a step up on the competition. From a spec perspective, they are releasing a phone that is no better than anything that is out on the market. WP allows for so few differentiating factors but memory is where one OEM can actually take the lead. What a shame. And this is after entering the market a year late in the first place. I have no sympathy for what becomes of them.

I disagree I have not held one yet but all the reviews point to the Lumia line being one of the best built devices lines out there. All manufacturers have the disadvantages HTC with quality control issues Samsung with the weird Blue whites and so far for Nokia its been the battery issue fixed with a software patch. Only time will tell but so far all the manufacturers seam to be building device that are specked for Windows Phone so to say that because they dont have 32GB they will fail. That's a one sided argument and I think you will find few that will agree with you. Manufacturers and carriers want you to use your cloud storage Microsoft is giving it to you for free so why not use it.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Christ I'm sick of the "We don't think anyone should have a choice because I'm too much of a tight arse to pay for a higher model" group, it's really getting old.

iPhone release, go to buy one, "I'll have a 32GB please!" "Oh sorry, they're sold out, we only have 16Gb or 8Gb".

They might sell more low end overall, but it's always the high end that sells first and sells out.

Plenty of us that have 2-3 year old 32gb phones that don't want to downgrade our storage and manage playlists weekly.

It's generally those that spring for the top model higher capacity that are the most likely to convince their friends to buy a similar product.

I have no problem with people wanted 32GB phones. In fact I think it'll be excellent, but the 900 is still a great device even at 16GBs. If the 900 fails it won't be because of 16GBs. Just look at Android sales and you'll see there are plenty of non-32GB phones that sell. Equating 32GB with success is a failure in logic. The OP needs to cool it with the chicken little impression.

GekkoAce

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
The Focus is not even available on Tmobile, and even if it was I'd rather have the Lumia.
I would rather have a 710 over the Focus S, but this just because I'm so disgusted with Samsung still after my Focus r1.4. I'm sure many people would prefer the 710 over the Focus flash though... The best competition against the 710 is the Radar, but it's a different style with similar specs, so it's really just each persons preference...

Thier first entry into the US market is with a subpar opening price point phone that doesnt even match up against the Samsung Focus.

Now they announce thier "Flagship" phone and dont offer it in 32gb version. What a missed opportunity to actually release a product that would be a step up on the competition. From a spec perspective, they are releasing a phone that is no better than anything that is out on the market. WP allows for so few differentiating factors but memory is where one OEM can actually take the lead. What a shame. And this is after entering the market a year late in the first place. I have no sympathy for what becomes of them.

Sent from my TITAN using Board Express

GekkoAce

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
In case you guys missed the point of this post it was a shot at the 710, not the 900. If he meant the 900 it was a mistake to call it Nokia's first US phone. The Lumia has only 8gb of storage, so his post is all messed up and he's obviously just an Android fan trolling, thinking WP users need the specs to run decent (like Android).
My Titan runs great with 16gb... Mostly because with SkyDrive my photos are automatically backed up, so I can delete them whenever I want off my phone. I only need my favorite artists in my music collection, because smart DJ did a great job if streaming similar music. I have a ton of apps... Not sure why I would need 32gb...
Anyway.. To finish my rant.. If Lumia line was android based, people might care about the specs more, but with WP, most of us here just don't need the top of the line specs with 32gb of storage... Our phones run smooth as silk, and a lot of our data is stored in the cloud.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
In case you guys missed the point of this post it was a shot at the 710, not the 900. If he meant the 900 it was a mistake to call it Nokia's first US phone. The Lumia has only 8gb of storage, so his post is all messed up and he's obviously just an Android fan trolling, thinking WP users need the specs to run decent (like Android).
My Titan runs great with 16gb... Mostly because with SkyDrive my photos are automatically backed up, so I can delete them whenever I want off my phone. I only need my favorite artists in my music collection, because smart DJ did a great job if streaming similar music. I have a ton of apps... Not sure why I would need 32gb...
Anyway.. To finish my rant.. If Lumia line was android based, people might care about the specs more, but with WP, most of us here just don't need the top of the line specs with 32gb of storage... Our phones run smooth as silk, and a lot of our data is stored in the cloud.

This is exactly what I am talking about, this post is not in the spirit of WPC. You are not a Moderator on these forums stop acting like you are. Its not for you to decide what someone is. Stop Trolling this thread yes I said it you are trolling. I have posted more than once in these forums that calling someone a troll is a forum of trolling. Next time you do that you will get a warning fallowed by an infraction. If you can't contribute to this thread in a positive way move on to another thread.

Drivingrain

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Im new here and just a regular un-informed consumer when it comes to phones...

I joined this forum because I want a Windows phone and now I know I want a Lumia 900. If you check my posts, you'll see that's true. I held the 900 a few days ago and thought it confirmed what I was looking for.

HOWEVER, is 16GB enough for me? I have never even once looked at my storage since buying my now-ancient Iphone 2 years ago. It's 32mb. I just looked now and I see Im usung 15.7GB; 10 of which is music. It makes me want to re-think the switch. The Nokia people sold me on Zune this week at CES and I was just talking to my wife about how I'll down load everything I can becuase of Zune's pricing model (im on a plane a lot; need to download, no streaming). Perhaps the Zune conversion will derease my music file size? Or is there something else I should know before worrying that 16 is too small for me?

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Christ I'm sick of the "We don't think anyone should have a choice because I'm too much of a tight arse to pay for a higher model" group, it's really getting old.

iPhone release, go to buy one, "I'll have a 32GB please!" "Oh sorry, they're sold out, we only have 16Gb or 8Gb".

They might sell more low end overall, but it's always the high end that sells first and sells out.

Plenty of us that have 2-3 year old 32gb phones that don't want to downgrade our storage and manage playlists weekly.

It's generally those that spring for the top model higher capacity that are the most likely to convince their friends to buy a similar product.

You have your device and you know what you like just like you have your opinion which you are certainly entitled. There are probably lots of people in the same situation that you are. I understand and agree with that I dont know if folks in your situation are in the majority or the minority. I dont listern to a lot of music I listen to tunedin radio and I listen to music on the desktop not so much on the phone. Dont have a big playlist so the storage memory even with 8 gb is fine. Sure I would like to have more storage memory in theory whether I need it or nots its nice to have that option. But for the way I use my device. Its not a necessity; for you more of a necessity. I would say that 32 GB devices are coming and larger than that as well. Lets all work together to grow the WP base for a better experience for all of us. There's room for all sorts of devices low, mid range and high end.

Reaction80

Jan 9, 2012
Visit site
These threads.... It's easy for us who are clearly 'spec sheet' minded to criticize every little difference between models but really, next time you are in the pub, go up to an iPhone, Android or even WP7 user for that matter and see how many of their phones specs they can tell you. The vast majority of consumers aren't bothered about gigahertz and screen resolutions and the like, they respond to a quality build, good looks, ease of use and accessibility to the features they use most (i.e. social networking) All of these things are represented incredibly well by Nokia's product range. That point, combined with a savvy marketing campaign to illicit that elusive 'cool factor' trumps raw specs any day.

Drivingrain

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
These threads.... It's easy for us who are clearly 'spec sheet' minded to criticize every little difference between models but really, next time you are in the pub, go up to an iPhone, Android or even WP7 user for that matter and see how many of their phones specs they can tell you. The vast majority of consumers aren't bothered about gigahertz and screen resolutions and the like, they respond to a quality build, good looks, ease of use and accessibility to the features they use most (i.e. social networking) All of these things are represented incredibly well by Nokia's product range. That point, combined with a savvy marketing campaign to illicit that elusive 'cool factor' trumps raw specs any day.

Space isnt a problem until it's a problem. See my post two above this. Im that guy in the pub you describe. You're right, I'd have no clue what my data use situation is unless it's a problem. That reality shouldnt be ignored or written off. I want to use large PPT files on my WP; will that be a problem too?

Road warriors like me want the Office functionality of WP and we want everything that our current phones give us (including 10+ gigs of music). If we cant get that on WP, that's a problem. Im hoping it's not a problem and Im hoing this forum will help me work through that instead of just writing off circumstances like mine as an abberation.

falconeight#IM

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Hardware specs don't mean anything when the phone works better than phone with triple the specs. Just look at how crappy windows is compared to mac.

willied

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
I don't know how anyone can say that people don't need more than 16Gb and that it doesn't matter because there is cloud storage. The thing is, you can't use cloud storage when you don't have a signal, it uses data (which is limited), and it uses more battery. I personally would like 64Gb, but I know that's not coming for a while. I'm extremely surprised they don't have 32Gb in any of them in the U.S. yet. That's my biggest problem with Windows Phone and yet I still bought a Trophy to hold me over until Verizon gets a better Windows Phone. I do think the storage issue will get better over time, though.

falconeight#IM

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I don't know how anyone can say that people don't need more than 16Gb and that it doesn't matter because there is cloud storage. The thing is, you can't use cloud storage when you don't have a signal, it uses data (which is limited), and it uses more battery. I personally would like 64Gb, but I know that's not coming for a while. I'm extremely surprised they don't have 32Gb in any of them in the U.S. yet. That's my biggest problem with Windows Phone and yet I still bought a Trophy to hold me over until Verizon gets a better Windows Phone. I do think the storage issue will get better over time, though.

My mac on has 56 gb on it and thats a computer. I would rather pay less for 16 gb or be forced to pay for memory that I don't use.

joemd60

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
I am actually one of the 99% who is fine with 16GB's. If a Nokia Windows phone ever came to Verizon, I would be all over that. :)

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
If you need 32 GB, then it may a good idea to wait for a month or two after the 900 launches. If sales are good, then AT&T may ask for a 32 GB version.

Matthew Mazzenga

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
I don't need 32GB, (**** I haven't filled up the 8GB on my Focus yet), but I do agree it should be an option for those who need/want it. Too much is better than not enough, I say.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb