Nokia shows why it is a failing company.

mhans311

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
I can understand that there are people that need 32 gb. Personally, I am fine with the 16 on my Trophy. It would be nice if it were 32, but not necessary. I would probably just fill it mostly with movies for long plane rides. I'm not sure I would pay more for a 32gb version, but I guess it would be nice to have the choice.

JedH

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Like anything in this world, if you don't like it buy something else instead. No one is forcing you, and just because Nokia doesn't make an exact version you would like, it doesn't mean they're failing, in fact it lets us know that you're a failing human being.

My Acura doesn't come in my favourite color, therefore Acura is a failing company.

Good logic, try again.

Joelist

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
Couple of things:

1) Saying HTC has quality control issues is unforunded. I have had HTCs going back to the old XV series Win Mobile phones and the build quality was always top notch.

2) 16GB is sufficient for now, especially as the phone has other selling points (LTE, the new polycarbonate unibody, the best phonre camera out there period). That said, the REAL solution to all this is having the Windows Phones include Micro SD slots and the OS able to use the memory properly. Then the users who want more than 16 just buy a card.

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Those automatic upload photos are half the size of the original photos. No one who uses their phone camera seriously would waste data ir battery life with that feature. Mobile full 3g signal here gives me speeds less than 200kbps do u Ivan hive two feces about the cloud.

32gb option or SD slot is needed otherwise they ar locking out even some feature phone users from "upgrading" to their platform. Its a pretty simple concept.

A flagship phone is just that. Flagship. Amazing. Its not just a bigger clone of an old design. Is Noki the new HTC?

In case you guys missed the point of this post it was a shot at the 710, not the 900. If he meant the 900 it was a mistake to call it Nokia's first US phone. The Lumia has only 8gb of storage, so his post is all messed up and he's obviously just an Android fan trolling, thinking WP users need the specs to run decent (like Android).
My Titan runs great with 16gb... Mostly because with SkyDrive my photos are automatically backed up, so I can delete them whenever I want off my phone. I only need my favorite artists in my music collection, because smart DJ did a great job if streaming similar music. I have a ton of apps... Not sure why I would need 32gb...
Anyway.. To finish my rant.. If Lumia line was android based, people might care about the specs more, but with WP, most of us here just don't need the top of the line specs with 32gb of storage... Our phones run smooth as silk, and a lot of our data is stored in the cloud.

Sent from my TITAN using Board Express

Sent from my HD7 using Board Express

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Additionally , media isn't the only thing you need space for. Offline maps weigh how much? Tree are games weighing in anywhere from 50-200mb, and they generally use lower red assets than I.e. The iPhone version or even some Android ports. PDF files can be big. If you get lots of email attachments that can add up, as well as synching multiple email accounts.

The low storage is a real issue and I don't understand the "works for me" reactions to these frustrations.

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Couple of things:

1) Saying HTC has quality control issues is unforunded. I have had HTCs going back to the old XV series Win Mobile phones and the build quality was always top notch.

2) 16GB is sufficient for now, especially as the phone has other selling points (LTE, the new polycarbonate unibody, the best phonre camera out there period). That said, the REAL solution to all this is having the Windows Phones include Micro SD slots and the OS able to use the memory properly. Then the users who want more than 16 just buy a card.
HTC has some of the worst cameras in the industry for years. Try still haven't patched Te HD7 pink tint issue. Their screen technology use generally lagged Samsung, Apple, Sony, and even LG.

They tend to use SD instead of NAND internal storage. Their construction is hit and miss. The HD7 construction leave much to be desired for example I just replaced one that had a stuck volume rocker.

HTc isn't what they were years ago, even they admitted as much recently. They have been concentrating on flooding the market with tons of handsets, rather than creating quality handsets. The Titan is nothing mentionable from a build quality point of view. It feel like a $2 phone compared to an i4/4s, for example. Samsung isn't any better, but they put more are into their internals and making sure obvious stuff is is correct, unlike HTC.

Joelist

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
HTC has some of the worst cameras in the industry for years. Try still haven't patched Te HD7 pink tint issue. Their screen technology use generally lagged Samsung, Apple, Sony, and even LG.

They tend to use SD instead of NAND internal storage. Their construction is hit and miss. The HD7 construction leave much to be desired for example I just replaced one that had a stuck volume rocker.

HTc isn't what they were years ago, even they admitted as much recently. They have been concentrating on flooding the market with tons of handsets, rather than creating quality handsets. The Titan is nothing mentionable from a build quality point of view. It feel like a $2 phone compared to an i4/4s, for example. Samsung isn't any better, but they put more are into their internals and making sure obvious stuff is is correct, unlike HTC.

Okay, what you're relating runs counter not only to my experience but that of a lot of people. I have an HTC now (TBolt) and have had the Incredible, and a series of XVs and other "verizon branded" HTC smartphones before that (as stated). Every one was built tightly, the screens were uniformly excellent (my TB has much superior color balance than the more lauded Samsungs) and I also prefer my phones to not be cheap plastic crud (like Samsung's stuff is). And my Tbolt camera gives me better pictures than most phone cameras (including the iPhone 4s - we compared them) as mine have no tint and natural colors (the wide aperature helps among other things).

If HTC were putting out an LTE Windows Phone on Verizon I would be in line for it. However, the 900 sounds like a very high quality phone as well, and the Nokia camera with their Zeiss optics have historically been (and no doubt still are) best of breed. Put this puppy out on Verizon and I would be up for it.

the_tyrant

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
My biggest complaint against Windows phone 7 is how little progress has been made over the course of 1.5 years

I just got a windows phone recently, I need a keyboard, so I got an LG quantum(there is almost no choice, if you want a keyboard you can only pick between LG and Dell)

It's a first gen device, but almost no progress has been made with windows phones in more than a year!

for instance, look at the HTC radar, it seems to have lower specs than my quantum!

The lack of progress is really maddening, the only real progress made between the 1st gen and 2nd gen devices seems to be the cpu (some 2nd gen devices have 1.4 ghz cpus, instead of the 1ghz on 1st gen devices)

lack of choices and lack of progress is really not doing any favors for windows phone

Narr

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
Nokia and the other manufacturers are really selling to you and me, they are selling to the networks and the networks want to push more data packages as they will make more money hence why they love skydrive and iCloud.
On the SD Card slots I think they are a security issue and can see why Microsoft wouldn't want them once they start producing a more enterprise focused phone (with the relevant server side products).

nyc_rock

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
You guys who, for the life of me I have no idea why, come roaring to Nokia's defense you have missed the point of what I was saying. The 900 may be a good phone, but its not going to be any better than what Samsung or HTC have already released. When you bank your entire company on WP and intend to make a roaring comeback into the US market you would think that the product you lead with would be something unique. If polycorbonate is your claim to faim then you have failed. WP isnt growing as quickly as I would have hoped. I think it just needs more time as the platform is truly excellent. I have made several mentions to that fact. WP has filled a void between the locked down IOS and the all over the place Android. The UI is amazing and app support is coming. What bother me is the cookie cutter hardware. Setting minimum hardware requirments was a great move, but all the OEM's are simply hanging around these specs. Which brings me back to Nokia. Nokia had a chance to enter the market with a huge splash. They could have single handedly pushed WP forward. Instead they release three phones that do nothing of the sort. Its not "trolling" to point this out. Further, the phone doesnt need to have 32gb of memory, although that would be the easiest way forward. Nokia could have figured out how to offer expandable storage. This omission is what keeps me from getting on board with WP. I need more than 8 or 16 gb's of storage. Even in this thread, plenty of people have echoed the same thing. This argument that "I only need 16 gb so its fine" is exactly what people on crackberry have been saying for years now (albeit about a decent web browser, games etc). And for years, Blackberry market share has been shrinking.

You can say whatever you want, Nokia stepping up and filling this void would have really differentiated thier product. Its a missed opportunity and again, for a company that has put all its chips on WP, I was hoping for more.

Last edited:

nyc_rock

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
Nokia and the other manufacturers are really selling to you and me, they are selling to the networks and the networks want to push more data packages as they will make more money hence why they love skydrive and iCloud.
On the SD Card slots I think they are a security issue and can see why Microsoft wouldn't want them once they start producing a more enterprise focused phone (with the relevant server side products).

Blackberry, the gold standard of security, offers expandable storage. This really shouldnt be such a problem.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
You may not be impressed with the Lumia 900, but considering how it's changed the minds of so many doubter at CES and come away with several best of show awards, I think you're pretty far off calling it a failure.

Nokia has already stated that Apollo is where the real stuff happens. But they also couldn't keep putting off their entry into the US market.

So they came in with a quality device with solid appeal as their flagship. And for those in the tech community at CES who were able to sample it, it was deemed a great entry.

nyc_rock

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
You may not be impressed with the Lumia 900, but considering how it's changed the minds of so many doubter at CES and come away with several best of show awards, I think you're pretty far off calling it a failure.

Nokia has already stated that Apollo is where the real stuff happens. But they also couldn't keep putting off their entry into the US market.

So they came in with a quality device with solid appeal as their flagship. And for those in the tech community at CES who were able to sample it, it was deemed a great entry.

I guess the consumer will have the last word. CES wasnt exactly a barn burner for new hardware either. Barcelona will have much more in the way of new hardware.

L

lumic

Blackberry, the gold standard of security, offers expandable storage. This really shouldnt be such a problem.
Not having expandable storage is less about security and more about reliability. Having a card in a potentially loose slot is generally a bad idea (friend's GSII has the card disconnect rather frequently), though I can see the argument for having all your media there. Heck, I'd like the option.

The reliability problem is accentuated by Microsoft's choice to handle memory as RAID 0. This means that the card simply cannot disconnect any time during operation, or the phone crashes. The user doesn't have to bother with partitioning and micro-managing the location of files, but the flip side is that external storage is no longer swappable.

I personally never took my microSD out of my previous phone, except for when it corrupted. I wouldn't even mind if manufacturers somewhat "hid" the card slot and sold it with different capacities inside at different prices.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Nokia also have exclusive apps and games... That alone will probably make them out sell all other models... Nokia did the most they could with the hardware limitation of the OS....... N more memory sell less then less memory... I'm a sell rep n just from iPhones 99% of people want the 8g or 16g model..... N extra 100$ for +16g (36G total) people don't wana pay that Even on IOS so why would WP do it?? Nokia went after the general public n its working!!! Not after the 1% tech junkys of the world ...

Sent from my SGH-i917R using Board Express

mprice86

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
For the record, Microsoft set hardware requirements to prevent device fragmentation. They are not "minimum" requirements, they are the requirements. The OS is optimised to run on the hardware they have designated which is why that hardware is used.

With Apollo it is widely believed (and alluded to) that Dual-Core processors will be supported. However, as with the current crop of phones I would expect it to be one or two dual core chip sets getting support.

Going by their approach to the WP OS I think the biggest lesson Microsoft has learned comes from Windows. In that it's bloody hard to accommodate a massive range of hardware and you can't necessarily rely on manufacturers to provide decent driver support. Its much the same approach that Apple uses with all of their devices.

But yes, to address the OP, a company producing one of the most talked about phones of the new year and winning a bunch of awards is certainly not what I would call a failing company.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
My biggest complaint against Windows phone 7 is how little progress has been made over the course of 1.5 years

I just got a windows phone recently, I need a keyboard, so I got an LG quantum(there is almost no choice, if you want a keyboard you can only pick between LG and Dell)

It's a first gen device, but almost no progress has been made with windows phones in more than a year!

for instance, look at the HTC radar, it seems to have lower specs than my quantum!

The lack of progress is really maddening, the only real progress made between the 1st gen and 2nd gen devices seems to be the cpu (some 2nd gen devices have 1.4 ghz cpus, instead of the 1ghz on 1st gen devices)

lack of choices and lack of progress is really not doing any favors for windows phone

arg.... WP progress is faster then android and IOS BTW ........ * has a headache*
we get updates faster then them. as for the hardware ... they have allt hey need... and if you where informed you wopuld know this....

BTW first GEN phones had 1ghz cpus, now its up to 1.5ghz cpus, .. and we dotn really need more .. my FOCUS with the 1ghz cpus, runs all the games/apps/General OS with out any problems... no slow downs... so why would i need more? aside from making uninformed people happy?

There is a disconnect here. I have 1,000+ songs and some audio books on my Iphone and those audio files are taking up 10gb.

Is there something wrong with my audio file setup or does this really put me in the "1% tech junky" class?

yeah pretty much .. and 10G is not alot .. my WP has 40G! .. whats ur point...

All i was saying is that the general Public ( and your obviously not the general public, ) dont need much more then 8G specially with the cloud service.

and UNLIKE MOST OF YOU!! i work in the business.. ( in sell`s ) and i know what sell`s... 64G, 32G phones .. DONT!!... that just a fact... you can argue it all you want...its not gona change statistics.

Last edited:

Drivingrain

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
yeah pretty much .. and 10G is not alot .. my WP has 40G! .. whats ur point...

You dont understand my point? Im not trying to claim that 10gb is alot (sic). If I use 10gb out of 16gb on music, then that doesnt leave much room for my other files. My total use on my Iphone is 15.7gb out of 32gb.

I *love* the idea of WP mostly because of the Office integration. Puting some large PPTs on my WP may be a problem if my starting point is roughly 15.7. Seems like a fair concern to me. Maybe not a deal breaker for me (at least I hope not), but certainly a concern.

How would you put your 40gb of music on a Lumia 900? You'd cloud it maybe? That doesnt sound like an acceptable option for music; but maybe Im missing something.

All i was saying is that the general Public ( and your obviously not the general public, ) dont need much more then 8G specially with the cloud service.

and UNLIKE MOST OF YOU!! i work in the business.. ( in sell`s ) and i know what sell`s... 64G, 32G phones .. DONT!!... that just a fact... you can argue it all you want...its not gona change statistics.

OK, fair enough. Though you seem to be contradicting yourself; on one hand you say 10gb of music is not a lot, then you say few people want more than 8 or 16gb of storage. Clearly, if my music storage needs are as average as you claim them to be, then more than just a few people will need larger capacity phones. Perhaps we're miscommunicating somehow, but your assertions as I read them dont jive.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss