Nokia shows why it is a failing company.

Premium1

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
dude seriously man..... were not in competition??? i cant find a polite way to tell you how wrong you are...... Every thing you have said so far has been an assumption

WM5.0 , was more advance then the first Iphone and did 10000million more things... hows is that not a competitor? PALMS and WM where the first multimedia phones that offered everything into 1. (music , game, office , productivity , ect.. )

apple just took the already FAMOUS Ipod and simply added an antenna. WHOAA WATCH OUT!!.. ahhahahahaha and misinformed people assume they were the first to do it. lol.

then the second generation Iphone came out and copied all the other services other Smartphones where ALREADY offering.... ( office tools and what not ) and the same people keep following

there is a saying... ** you could put a * I * in front of a piece of sh*T and it would still sell. I****

seriously i could write a 50page post and give you the million reasons if you want ( **** i study in this stuff )

Winning guy`s post right above yours also gives a good logical explanation to Apple.

It still doesn't change the fact that apple made smartphones easier and simpler to use. Nice to skip over that in my comment. And no WM and Palm were not competition and never were.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Those were out years before yes but were not "competition" for the iphone. Before the iphone the smartphones were nothing like what we see today. The iphone got things going and if those others were such competitors to the iphone then why did none of those really have anything to combat the iphone? The iphone was on a completely different level when it first came out and made smart phones easier and more simple to use.

I'm just curious if you are old enough to have been the in the smartphone buying market during that time.

The smartphone was pretty new. Before that, people carried around two separate devices. A phone and a PDA. Now they were combined.

However, the smartphone was largely seen as a luxury or business item. Not something that the typical consumer would need. Though many did own separate Palm Pilots or Pocket PCs. They didn't do much with them though.

Apple did have competition. They had entrenched competition. Competition that was already in the market. Competition from companies that were already considered established players. Businesses that had big existing deals with the competition for large volumes of units.

However, Apple came along with a different philosophy. They aimed at the consumer as opposed to the business person. And they brought in their monopoly leverage with iTunes.

So consumers now had a choice of buying their iPod or getting an iPod mixed in with their phone. Many consumers who were already planning to upgrade their iPods decided to get them with their phones.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
It still doesn't change the fact that apple made smartphones easier and simpler to use. Nice to skip over that in my comment. And no WM and Palm were not competition and never were.

WM, Palm, and RIM were competition. But Apple just found a way to beat them by focusing on a different part of the market.

Why are you trying to rewrite history here?

Last edited:

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site

I skiped it because I don't disagree that it was good n simple..

And yes wm n palm was in competition.... I was a front line rep when the first iPhone came out..... I think I know!!! Lol

BTW, all ur doing right now, is discrediting your self .. Not helping your wpcentral reputation..... Do your self a favor n don't talk about things you don't really know. .... That's why I never post in the the DEV section.. I know verry little about it.

Sent from my SGH-i917R using Board Express

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site

And yes wm n palm was in competition.... I was a front line rep when the first iPhone came out..... I think I know!!! Lol

BTW, all ur doing right now, is discrediting your self .. Not helping your wpcentral reputation..... Do your self a favor n don't talk about things you don't really know. .... That's why I never post in the the DEV section.. I know verry little about it.

You should post in the Dev section and start talking about how C# sucks compared to native code 100% of the time. And that C++ is so awesome. And more blah blah blah.

Sure, you may not know what you were saying. But I'd love to watch the carnage. (at your expense... sorry. haha)

Premium1

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site

Ha OK whatever you say. You being a front line rep or not doesn't change anything. Like I said apple made it easier and simpler. Same reason PDAs and the likes went by the wayside.@winning guy yes I was buying phones back in the Treo days I don't consider that competition. Maybe you and the other guy do but this is one time we will agree to disagree.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Ha OK whatever you say. You being a front line rep or not doesn't change anything. Like I said apple made it easier and simpler. Same reason PDAs and the likes went by the wayside.@winning guy yes I was buying phones back in the Treo days I don't consider that competition. Maybe you and the other guy do but this is one time we will agree to disagree.

I think it's probably because we're defining "competition" differently.

We consider it competition because the market was already owned by these players. And Apple was coming into their realm to compete against them.

You may not consider it competition because they were so soundly trounced by Apple. And we won't argue with that aspect. Their butts were kicked.

So, the existence of competitors who already dominated the market is why we say there was competition. At the time, there was no way to tell if Apple, with their different focus, would be able to beat them by actually growing the market instead of fighting for the small existing market. But in hindsight, after knowing the results, it looks like there was no real competition. But just because you completely trounce your opponent doesn't mean that you didn't have an opponent.

Premium1

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
I think it's probably because we're defining "competition" differently.

We consider it competition because the market was already owned by these players. And Apple was coming into their realm to compete against them.

You may not consider it competition because they were so soundly trounced by Apple. And we won't argue with that aspect. Their butts were kicked.

So, the existence of competitors who already dominated the market is why we say there was competition. At the time, there was no way to tell if Apple, with their different focus, would be able to beat them by actually growing the market instead of fighting for the small existing market. But in hindsight, after knowing the results, it looks like there was no real competition. But just because you completely trounce your opponent doesn't mean that you didn't have an opponent.

I do agree about looking at the word "competition" differently. Just because the others were already in the market does not necessarily mean they are competition but I understand that is how you interpreted it as.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I do agree about looking at the word "competition" differently. Just because the others were already in the market does not necessarily mean they are competition but I understand that is how you interpreted it as.

Yeah. I am a former Marketing Manager and am thus pretty competitive. So I tend not to underestimate or dismiss competitors.

nyc_rock

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
Garment you are entitled to your opinion and analysis of Nokia. You may be right and you may be wrong only time will tell. Most of his prefer to remain optimistic of the future of WP, Microsoft and Nokia. I am one of the later group and will continue to be.

I aboslutely remain optomistic on the future of WP. Nokia, I am not convinced. Samsung and HTC are entrenched competitors who's already released hardware is equal to or better than the Lumia on many fronts. And the issue here is that they are also entrenched in Android where they are selling millions of units. So if Samsung releases a phone that doesnt meet sales expectations on WP, they can offset the loss through thier successful other businesses. Not for ever mind you, but certainly enough time to come back with a better product. Nokia needs a winner and they need a winner with the Lumia series. Which is the point I have been trying to make all along. Unfortunately, IMHO, I dont think the Lumia is far superior to what is already available. Which is why I call this a missed opportunity for Nokia to have done something bigger and better.

nyc_rock

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
Yeah. The whole iPod thing was huge for the iPhone.

Apple was pretty much a dominant (pretty much monopoly-level) player in the digital music market. They used that market and leveraged it to gain a competitive advantage in a different market.

If they were treated the same way that MS was at the time, the government would have required them to remove the iTunes requirement from the iPhone. It would have been separated from the OS and the government would have required that Apple allow any music service to be installed on there. But that didn't happen to Apple, so they were able to use their monopoly power in one market to help them dominate another market.

And unfortunately, Palm was a casualty. Palm pretty much created the category too.

Thank GOD the goverment didnt try and do that. I think its a huge stretch to compare apple's Itunes-iphone/ipod model to MS. Apple created Itunes and had every right to lock it to thier hardware. Honestly, not sure how it would have all worked out if they had done it differntly. I always thought that Itunes could have actually been 100 times bigger (scary thought right?) had Apple made it work with every digitial device. But how many less Iphones/Ipods would they have sold?

kylej1050

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
And I disagree about 99% of customers being ok with 16gb. I would say its more like 60%.

My Arrive has 16GB and currently has 13.09GB free. Most of that is games and photos. I use it for a few songs but I've found that I end up not wanting to listen to the songs I have more than a couple times so I don't bother loading on the phone anymore.

Videos I load for traveling but that's about it. For me, 32GB is a little crazy, especially with movies only taking 400 or so megs each.

ChristianKing

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I'd prefer a 32GB Lumia 900, but honestly, the first post is a bunch of crying. I filled up my Titan fairly easily and skydrive with low res pics isnt really what it should be. However, once I stoped thinking how I just wanted 32GB, I got the bright idea to remove some of the 2000 songs that I really don't love but carry around just for the **** of it. Low and behold, My Titan magically was sufficient.

A 32GB Lumia 900 is comming if it sales half way decent. However, based on the price points that are rumored, 95% of potential clients wouldn't opt for it day one. That means you sale to 95% and let the other dedicated, very vocal and somewhat disgruntled 5% wait it out. Good companies make money to build new products, so the dedicated, very vocal and somewhat disgruntled 5% have something to keep crying about :straight:

:D;)

nyc_rock

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
I'd prefer a 32GB Lumia 900, but honestly, the first post is a bunch of crying. I filled up my Titan fairly easily and skydrive with low res pics isnt really what it should be. However, once I stoped thinking how I just wanted 32GB, I got the bright idea to remove some of the 2000 songs that I really don't love but carry around just for the **** of it. Low and behold, My Titan magically was sufficient.

A 32GB Lumia 900 is comming if it sales half way decent. However, based on the price points that are rumored, 95% of potential clients wouldn't opt for it day one. That means you sale to 95% and let the other dedicated, very vocal and somewhat disgruntled 5% wait it out. Good companies make money to build new products, so the dedicated, very vocal and somewhat disgruntled 5% have something to keep crying about :straight:

:D;)

Actually the crying is over. Apollo will support micro SD expansion so the problem is solved. Not for those buying the Lumia 900 or course which is already outdated before its even released.

Last edited:

JedH

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Actually the crying is over. Apollo will support micro SD expansion so the problem is solved. Not for those buying the Lumia 900 or course which is already outdated before its even released.

Wouldn't say it's outdated, as it's not claiming to be a Windows 8 phone, which won't be out for sometime after...

Either way, I'm glad everyone can stop their temper tantrum and we can leave the store with our groceries now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb