Are they killing the hype?

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
It don't matter all that matters is Nokia has failed us! They didn't give an expected launch date to anticipate! Whether it be April/Dec give us something!

Thats not a fail on Nokia's part that's a disappointment on your part! Chill It will get here when it gets here. Hopefully soon and hopefully it sell extremely well!

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
I wish Nokia is more like apple, they have an apple event, announce a product, and it is pretty much ready to go or at least has a date.

Being that nothing has been said since CES, disappointing.

MS needs to get NOK in gear and have them focus on the U.S market.

jgschwandtner

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
The question now is, would AT&T leave a coming soon page up for a month?

Surely not for a month? That seems quite long, especially since they appear to try to sign you up for all the new announcements they'll have with the form. If you signed up, you would struggle to remember when and you might never realize what they were teasing for. I do think the splash screen is for a specific thing. Let's hope it's the Lumia 900, and in less than a month. Although I agree that April 1 just sounds like an awful date. Cue the jokes.

Angkorthom

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
Thats not a fail on Nokia's part that's a disappointment on your part! Chill It will get here when it gets here. Hopefully soon and hopefully it sell extremely well!

It is a fail because for people anxiously waiting for the phone need some kind of date so they can look forward too. As of right now we are sitting in Lala land playing the waiting game. Nokia is a big name thats the least they can do. They are the one trying to break back in the US market, give us something to look forward too besides "coming soon!" lol

SouthpawJosh

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
It is a fail because for people anxiously waiting for the phone need some kind of date so they can look forward too. As of right now we are sitting in Lala land playing the waiting game. Nokia is a big name thats the least they can do. They are the one trying to break back in the US market, give us something to look forward too besides "coming soon!" lol

The point is: they don't have to and are not obligated to.

Drivingrain

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
The point is: they don't have to and are not obligated to.

Ok, I suppose you're making a point...but I dont think it is a salient one at all. You're essentially blaming the customer for not being patient enough after 60 days withoutr som much as one word about the US launch. If you had that attitude and worked for NOK; well, I dont think you'd last long. So of course they're not obligated to; no company is obligated to do much of anything. No different than an airline is not obligated to feed you on a 6 hour flight; but do you like the airline when you barely made your connection to that long flight and are stuck with no food for 9 hours?

Nokia is competing for market share and they are waaaaay behind; they should act like it. Obligation or not is a meaningless point. They're acting like amateurs; letting crappy blogs control one of the most important marketing messages for what's supposed to be a vital product in a vital market. If they announced the 18th right now it would still be a fail. There is no blame to place anywhere else; control your key expectations and control your marketing messages or die. It's that simple. "Obligations" have 0.0% to do with anything.

SouthpawJosh

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I suppose you're making a point...but I dont think it is a salient one at all. You're essentially blaming the customer for not being patient enough after 60 days withoutr som much as one word about the US launch. If you had that attitude and worked for NOK; well, I dont think you'd last long. So of course they're not obligated to; no company is obligated to do much of anything. No different than an airline is not obligated to feed you on a 6 hour flight; but do you like the airline when you barely made your connection to that long flight and are stuck with no food for 9 hours?

Nokia is competing for market share and they are waaaaay behind; they should act like it. Obligation or not is a meaningless point. They're acting like amateurs; letting crappy blogs control one of the most important marketing messages for what's supposed to be a vital product in a vital market. If they announced the 18th right now it would still be a fail. There is no blame to place anywhere else; control your key expectations and control your marketing messages or die. It's that simple. "Obligations" have 0.0% to do with anything.

I see your point to a degree, but I think it's beyond obvious at this point that March 18th is not the date. Lumping all those blogs together and calling them all "crappy" is ignorant. A good portion of those blogs are the industry lifeline to consumers.

I can understand impatience. I'm eagerly awaiting the announcement as well. However, I'm not about to rail on Nokia, AT&T or Microsoft. It will get here when it gets here. Do we as consumers want it sooner rather than later? Of course. However I'm not about to settle for a sub-standard product. Whether that means the product isn't ready for release yet, or choosing another device because I can't wait any longer... either way I am going to wait for what I want.

Drivingrain

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I see your point to a degree, but I think it's beyond obvious at this point that March 18th is not the date. Lumping all those blogs together and calling them all "crappy" is ignorant. A good portion of those blogs are the industry lifeline to consumers.

I can understand impatience. I'm eagerly awaiting the announcement as well. However, I'm not about to rail on Nokia, AT&T or Microsoft. It will get here when it gets here. Do we as consumers want it sooner rather than later? Of course. However I'm not about to settle for a sub-standard product. Whether that means the product isn't ready for release yet, or choosing another device because I can't wait any longer... either way I am going to wait for what I want.

OK, thanks for meeting me half-way. We'll agree to disagree on part of this.

And just to be clear...I'm more po'd about the lack of communication and the lack of willingess to control expectations than anything else. 75 days from announce to launch is ok with me; it's the lack of communication along the way. Google Lumia 900 and it reads as a fact sheet on the launch; March 18, $99. Sure, dig into 75% of those articles and there is a mention of it being runmored, but that's not good enough if you're sitting in NOK's shoes. They should have spoken to the rumors at MWC and either said:
1 yes, the 18th
2 no, not the 18th
3 maybe the 18th

Yes, maybe is an acceptable response (barely); it's far better than silence.

Silence doesnt make sense after 60 days with expectations solidifying in your potential customers' heads.

SouthpawJosh

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
OK, thanks for meeting me half-way. We'll agree to disagree on part of this.

And just to be clear...I'm more po'd about the lack of communication and the lack of willingess to control expectations than anything else. 75 days from announce to launch is ok with me; it's the lack of communication along the way. Google Lumia 900 and it reads as a fact sheet on the launch; March 18, $99. Sure, dig into 75% of those articles and there is a mention of it being runmored, but that's not good enough if you're sitting in NOK's shoes. They should have spoken to the rumors at MWC and either said:
1 yes, the 18th
2 no, not the 18th
3 maybe the 18th

Yes, maybe is an acceptable response (barely); it's far better than silence.

Silence doesnt make sense after 60 days with expectations solidifying in your potential customers' heads.

Agreed on the lack of communication. Silence is the equivalent of "no comment".

kenosando#AC

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Well, I am going to exhaust my contacts on both ends of the spectrum. I know someone who is an Account Manager with AT&T Mobility as well as a memeber of the Windows Phone division of Microsoft, and I am hitting them up for *any* word on if we can expect the Lumia 900 anytime soon, hopefully by the rumored March 18th release. I'll keep everyone posted.

eastbayrae

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
People knew next to nothing about the new iPad until two days ago. They didn't even know the launch date. At least you know what the 900 looks like and its specs. Comparing Apple and Nokia is unfair. The market share and market cap($500bn USD vs. $19Bn) that Apple has is ridiculous compared to Nokia. Apple can afford to do it the way they do. Apple, at this point, could afford 2 maybe even 3 market blunders in a row and recover, Nokia can't. If this marriage to Microsoft fails I see Nokia being bought by someone else and cease to exist.

Last edited:

Alteran195

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
People knew next to nothing about the new iPad until two days ago. They didn't even know the launch date. At least you know what the 900 looks like and its specs. Comparing Apple and Nokia is unfair. The market share and market cap($500bn USD vs. $19Bn) that Apple has is ridiculous compared to Nokia. Apple can afford to do it the way they do. Apple, at this point, could afford 2 maybe even 3 market blunders in a row and recover, Nokia can't. If this marriage to Microsoft fails I see Nokia being bought by someone else and cease to exist.

You're right, it is unfair to compare apple and Nokia, apples fan base loves EVERYTHING that company releases and are willing to wait MONTHS to get it, and wait in a line for, what? A week? To get their new stuff, my big example is the first iPhone. Nokia doesn't have that same fan base, nor, unfortunately, does windows phone.

The 900 generated a huge amount of excitement, I was one of those apple fans and this phone has converted me, and of course I'm happy to know what it looks like and the specs, but I stand by what I've said before, I dont think the announcement alone isn't enough to keep the excitement for this phone going, they need to release mid march to early April.

Drivingrain

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site

Isnt that article a recycle of the same rumor? Thekey word in the first sentence is "may". Meanwhile, all the customers commenting are excited about the launch on the 18th as if it were fact. ugh......but hey, it might be the 18th and if so then this whole thread would be for nada (more or less).

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site

No what you describing is a disappointment. and the site you are talking about is an ATT site.

kenosando#AC

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
My guy at Microsoft couldn't tell me anything on the Lumia 900, somthing about the "paycheck continuity plan" ;)

My friend with AT&T, however, did tell me the last he heard, which was as of Tuesday, was the 18th is still a go. There are conflicting reports in other threads of people who talked to AT&T store employees and got a different date, so you can't really take them all for their word at this point, but I tend to trust this guy, who's been with AT&T a long time.

Thuoudo

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
When accessing ATT Wireless' site, I get a huge question mark JPG with a Content Unable to Load message next to it :straight:

In any case, who cares if blogs "control the hype"? Look at the rumors leading up to the Canon 5D Mark III release. There were rumors of two new models, a III for everyone and an X for specialty video--the X has yet to materialize. No one knew the release date until Canon sent out invites the week of.

And quite frankly, I don't believe there's a middle ground for the 900. There's the obsessed (us) and everyone else (those who walk into a store looking for a new phone, see a 900 priced at $99, etc). I doubt there's a ton of people kinda-sorta waiting for the actual release :p "The hype" lies with those who are going to buy one whenever it's out.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077