Are they killing the hype?

Alteran195

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
When they first announced the 900 at CES I was as excited for it as I have been for any of the iPhones (i've been an apple fan for while). I've never been excited for any other phone other then the iPhone before.

I'm still going to be buying the 900, but i'm just not as pumped for it as I was... i mean they cancelled the ability to preorder it, and people expected some kind of announcement about it, and we heard nothing. MWC comes around, and i'm pretty sure the majority of people were expecting a release date announcement at Nokias presentation, and all we got was a european version, which is great, and a general idea of when the european version was coming out, but NOTHING on the release date of this "designed with the US market in mind" phone.

Maybe microsoft will throw us a bone at their presenation? I seriously doubt it, but I dont see any other place they'd announce a release date during MWC.

We're only a few weeks away from the rumored launch, you'd think nokia would want to announce the release date at a bigger event rather then just posting it randomly on their facebook page...

Have any of you guys lost some of your excitement for it?

ALborntoride

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't say i've lost the excitement...just that some agrivation has arose since Nokia didn't say anything about the US release during its presentation. Fingers crossed that Microsoft will say SOMETHING Wednesday. Who knows...maybe they will show a super phone that blows the HTC One series out of the water (yea right...but one can hope at least.)

Alteran195

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't say i've lost the excitement...just that some agrivation has arose since Nokia didn't say anything about the US release during its presentation. Fingers crossed that Microsoft will say SOMETHING Wednesday. Who knows...maybe they will show a super phone that blows the HTC One series out of the water (yea right...but one can hope at least.)

Exactly, its annoying that we have heard NOTHING about it since they announced it...If I had the money I would just buy the 800 bundle from the microsoft store, played with it there tonight to see what 900 would be like, and say screw the 900.. Front facing camera isnt all that important, and I prefer the smaller size.

scrapple

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
maybe Nokia is having probs with the manufacturing of it (LTE, screen, battery, etc).
But I agree, they definitely are wasting a great opportunity on HYPE... especially if it is to sell for $99 with a new or upgrade contract.

Drivingrain

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
maybe Nokia is having probs with the manufacturing of it (LTE, screen, battery, etc).
But I agree, they definitely are wasting a great opportunity on HYPE... especially if it is to sell for $99 with a new or upgrade contract.

Then they should say that, right? Are they going to wait until people line up for the thing on the morning of the 18th and say...awww, shucks, maybe next week?

The March 18 expectation has been set among the "reviewer class" and if this date moves back at this point NOK will be seen as royally screwing this up by *not even attmepting* to control the expectations of its most important customers.

grossitch

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site

This is one possible reason. It seems unlikely to me though because they've already produced slight variations on this form factor several times. The only new internal is LTE right? Hard to imagine that being the single reason for the hold up.

One theory I have is that because the iPhone launch isn't expected til fall, they've decided to take a little more time to do more detailed software tweaking to make sure the phone is ready for prime time from the start. That could include working with AT&T to finally bring us visual voicemail? Making sure the 8107 update is included? Getting closer to the finalized Skype app release?

Another reason could be waiting for more cities to go live with LTE? Right now AT&T is at 20-something, so launching a couple more would increase the target markets for this phone.

Last edited:

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
AT&T probably arguing as to what kind of crap they can squeeze onto this otherwise beautiful phone. As it is now, the Euro version might be available first. Go figure.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

Alteran195

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
This is one possible reason. It seems unlikely to me though because they've already produced slight variations on this form factor several times. The only new internal is LTE right? Hard to imagine that being the single reason for the hold up.

One theory I have is that because the iPhone launch isn't expected to fall, they've decided to take a little more time to do more detailed software tweaking to make sure the phone is ready for prime time from the start. That could include working with AT&T to finally bring us visual voicemail? Making sure the 8107 update is included? Getting closer to the finalized Skype app release?

Another reason could be waiting for more cities to go live with LTE? Right now AT&T is at 20-something, so launching a couple more would increase the target markets for this phone.

Waiting til closer to the iPhone launch, which would also be around the time that Apollo will probably launch, would be stupid. If they don't release in march it's a safe bet to say it will hurt the sales since most people would be more inclined to wait for Apollo, or the iPhone 5, then to upgrade to the 900.

I even think that if they don't announce a release date before all the iPad 3 stuff that the release date announcement would just be blown away by the **** storm of news about the iPad.

Last edited:

Neofire

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Yes they have definitely killed the hype slightly, for them to claim to have apple like secrecy over their windows phones devices, but not use the tactic right sucks.They should not have allowed the phones to have been reviewed or touched outside of the labs. With the tension high, they should have held a press conference, then announce a release date within the next month. Boom!! Big head lines on tech sites, the radio and tv commercials. And consumers wont even have to wait that long to pick it up. I think thats how it should be done...... right?

Alteran195

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
What they should have done is:
-Announce the 900 at CES.
-Allow all the same access to the phone so people can comment on the build quality and such.
-Halfway between CES and MWC release pricing information and open up preorders at microsoft stores, kinda like they did.
- At MWC announce that preorders will open up today at AT&T stores, and what the release date is.

If they did that there would have been more consistent excitement from announcement til launch.

grossitch

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Waiting til closer to the iPhone launch, which would also be around the time that Apollo will probably launch, would be stupid. If they don't release in march it's a safe bet to say it will hurt the sales since most people would be more inclined to wait for Apollo, or the iPhone 5, then to upgrade to the 900.

I even think that if they don't announce a release date before all the iPad 3 stuff that the release date announcement would just be blown away by the **** storm of news about the iPad.

I'm not saying wait closer to the iPhone launch, but I think a 2-4 week delay from the March 18 date is more acceptable now that they know the iPhone probably won't be available until October.

They would still have a 4-5 month window with no iPhone 5 if they released the phone in early to mid April.

Drivingrain

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Are they heck...

You're all talking about it :)

I'll agree with you if they come through on the March 18 launch date.

If they dont, they'll look like bafoons for letting the media control and set one of the most important expectations with their would-be core customer base.

Kahuna Cowboy

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Yes, anytime a company announces a product with no firm launch date it tends to make the target audience constantly ask, and/or complain about when they can finally get it. It's then only a matter of time before people just get tired of that and move onto something else.

threed61

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
The one thing worse than not releasing on time is releasing a product that's not ready. Getting a rep as a problem phone is way worse than irritating the anxious fans.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo