Are they killing the hype?

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
AT&T probably arguing as to what kind of crap they can squeeze onto this otherwise beautiful phone. As it is now, the Euro version might be available first. Go figure.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

That doesnt make sense because any load of crap apps taht ATT puts on the device can be easily deleted and they are in the ATT section of the marketplace even if you delete them.

Alteran195

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
The one thing worse than not releasing on time is releasing a product that's not ready. Getting a rep as a problem phone is way worse than irritating the anxious fans.

I agree, but if they're having issues with it then they should say that it's behind schedule. I really don't think Nokia has the... Staying power... To announce a phone and miss an accepted release date without a reason. I know it's not an official release date but people are expecting it on the 18th.

jgschwandtner

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm not saying wait closer to the iPhone launch, but I think a 2-4 week delay from the March 18 date is more acceptable now that they know the iPhone probably won't be available until October.

They would still have a 4-5 month window with no iPhone 5 if they released the phone in early to mid April.

I have waited for this thing since October. Bring it out already.

Drivingrain

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
me too. have been waiting since the day they announced the phone at CES. getting a bit anxious now

Another day, no word...but finally the press is catching up with what we've been whining about for the last 2-3 weeks. I've seen a few articles about NOK's lack of confirmation of launch date in the last 24 hrs.

Drivingrain

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Looks like governmental approval is set. That's nice. Now can we have a date NOK?

It's Monday March 5 and nada from NOK/MSFT/ATT.

I think the hype has been oficially killed for me.

I am shopping for a new home A/V setup (TV/Receiver/Speakers/Gaming/everything) this weekend and all the best mid-range Denon/Pioneer/etc receivers are setup for Apple compatibility. And then there's all the other reasons to just stick with Iphone (apps, blah,blah, blah). For the first time yesterday, I am seriously considering just sticking with Apple.

It's all compunded with a personal animous that has built up by NOK/MSFT/ATT just not giving 2 sh*ts about the 900's consumer launch date.

My policy will be this:
I will buy a phone on March 18. I will first go to AT&T. If the Lumia 900 is there, I will buy it. If it's not there, then I will buy whatever the latest Iphone is either at AT&T or at Sprint.

I know Im just a speck of dust and most of you will just tell me not to have the door hit me on the way out....I get that. But man oh man, launches are important. The press is reporting March 18 as fact and NOK has not taken one opportunity to temper expectations. It may not turn out to be a PR disaster. But it's certainly a mis-step and it might cost them at least one customer; that customer in this case happens to be a CEO of a company, i.e. me, and my company is being bought by a much bigger company...i.e. I have the ability to influence a little.

SouthpawJosh

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
So if you can't find that phone on the 18th you will buy an inferior product/OS? Gratz!

I was thinking the same thing. I've been waiting for a long time to UPGRADE my iPhone 3GS to a Windows Phone. I'm not getting a iPhone 4 or 4S or even waiting for the 5. I'm patiently waiting for the Nokia 900 to be released. I've waited since early January when my upgrade was due.... I can wait a little longer. I'd just be appreciative of a concrete date.

Drivingrain

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Looks like governmental approval is set. That's nice. Now can we have a date NOK?

So if you can't find that phone on the 18th you will buy an inferior product/OS? Gratz!

On the 18th, the inferior product choice will go as follows:

Scenario 1: Lumia 900 is in the store, so is the Iphone. I'll buy the superior product...the 900

Scenario 2: Lumia is not in the store. The choice is the Iphone or no phone at all. Iphone is clearly superior in this particular scenario.

This thread title says it all; NOK is killing the hype and that has some consequences to *some* (not all) potential customers.

SouthpawJosh

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
On the 18th, the inferior product choice will go as follows:

This thread title says it all; NOK is killing the hype and it has some consequences to some potential customers.

Where have you heard that March 18th is fact? You said earlier (or someone did) that the media is reporting it as fact. Everywhere I've seen it's being reported as "rumored date" because there hasn't been an official announcement yet.

Drivingrain

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Where have you heard that March 18th is fact? You said earlier (or someone did) that the media is reporting it as fact. Everywhere I've seen it's being reported as "rumored date" because there hasn't been an official announcement yet.

Yes, some (NOT ALL) have put a question mark in their headline, some have even put the word rumor in the headline. Many, many others have not:

CNET headline: "AT&T to offer Nokia Lumia 900 for $100 on March 18"
WPCentral headline: "Nokia Lumia 900 set for March 18th and only $99"
BGR: "Nokia Lumia 900 launches March 18th for $99.99 on AT&T"

There are DOZENS of articles that state it as fact in the headline and many that say March 18 or March AS FACT.

If Im NOK, I dont let the press set this expectation. You need to step in and set the expectation properly with your customers. If it was still TBD when this rumor hit, then just say that within a week or two of the rumor starting. Yes, you like the hype if you're NOK; as a matter of fact, you like that they're writing at all. But there's a line. You dont let the press and others take your ball and run wildly with it. You need to take at least some action to control your key expectation set. That's features, pricing and timing. It's too late now for me. Im already po'd. I really hope they dont say anything through the 18th and some people show up (or better line up) at AT&T only to be told..."sorry, no phone. maybe next week". :confused:

SouthpawJosh

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
Yes, some (NOT ALL) have put a question mark in their headline, some have even put the word rumor in the headline. Many, many others have not:

CNET headline: "AT&T to offer Nokia Lumia 900 for $100 on March 18"
WPCentral headline: "Nokia Lumia 900 set for March 18th and only $99"
BGR: "Nokia Lumia 900 launches March 18th for $99.99 on AT&T"

There are DOZENS of articles that state it as fact in the headline and many that say March 18 or March AS FACT.

I can see where you are coming from, but headlines are written to get readers to read the article. I know for a FACT that the BGR article (because I read it way back when) that accompanies that headline says that it's rumored because of the documents that were indicating that date. None of which were concrete. I think it was off a road map sheet. I'm pretty sure the other sites got their info from the same road map. Those are always "subject to change".

SouthpawJosh

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
Also ... to be fair ... on that same road map was the HTC Titan II for a March 18th release date, and as far as I know there hasn't been confirmation or news leading to that device either.

Drivingrain

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Those are always "subject to change".

Indeed they are, but how much does that matter versus a perception that NOK has taken no action to manage?

I started a consumer business that gets written up a bunch in blogs and elsewhere. When rumors fly about our product, price or new markets we sort of like it b/c the attention is great and the speculation has value; but the line that we do not like to cross has very little to do with the fine print or "subject to change" qualifiers.

We take notice when perception starts solidifying about an expectation that we know we cant meet. That perception is what matters, not the fine print.

NOK has sat back and let expectation-perception run amok. Is it the end of the world? Nope; if it is released on the 18th then NOK doing nothing about it makes perfect sense. If it's just a little later, then they'll probably recover with nothing more than a scratch. But if it does launch post 18th it shows me that they arent ready for prime time when it comes to public relations; which would concern me more if I were a shareholder than customer.

That being said, my current phone is on its very last leg. I cant wait a day past March 18 whether I wanted to or not.

SouthpawJosh

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
Indeed they are, but how much does that matter versus a perception that NOK has taken no action to manage?

I started a consumer business that gets written up a bunch in blogs and elsewhere. When rumors fly about our product, price or new markets we sort of like it b/c the attention is great and the speculation has value; but the line that we do not like to cross has very little to do with the fine print or "subject to change" qualifiers.

We take notice when perception starts solidifying about an expectation that we know we cant meet. That perception is what matters, not the fine print.

NOK has sat back and let expectation-perception run amok. Is it the end of the world? Nope; if it is released on the 18th then NOK doing nothing about it makes perfect sense. If it's just a little later, then they'll probably recover with nothing more than a scratch. But if it does launch post 18th it shows me that they arent ready for prime time when it comes to public relations; which would concern me more if I were a shareholder than customer.

That being said, my current phone is on its very last leg. I cant wait a day past March 18 whether I wanted to or not.

All good points. My iPhone 3GS is on life support as well. Worst case scenario, I'll use my old RAZR (flip phone; not the Droid) to bridge the gap until the release.

thepickupbear

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
I paid to have my iPhone 4 repaired this weekend, just to keep me going long enough to last until the Lumia is released.

I stopped in at the Microsoft store during the same trip, and they indicated what they were hopeful for is a split launch - pre-orders being satisfied on the 18th, and a wider launch later - but they didn't have any concrete info either.

I think the one reason I really want a date is so I can plan around it! I want to be the first in line at the Microsoft Store (or AT&T - should they get it first, pre-order be damned), and that will probably require taking time off of work.

jeremyshaw

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
MS and partners should stop announcing junk long before they sell it. At this point, after having both the titan and the focus s (both being rather disappointing as upgrades, vs my original focus), and the wait, I have already decided to wait for wp8, rather than buy an outdated LTE phone with an abysmally low resolution, when other phones like the HTC rezound and Galaxy Nexus are running around with LTE and 720p displays.

And who is, "NOK?" if it stands for, "Nokia," then damn we're lazy. :p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thepickupbear

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
NOK is the stock symbol for Nokia, but yeah a touch lazy ;)

I really really really feel like folks need to take a page from the apple playbook - set a date for an announcement, and at that announcement - tell me when I can buy it.

Though, the flip side - while we're worried they're "killing" the hype - it didn't really take much for them to get this previous Apple ****** to spend every !%#$ day since January googling Windows Phone, Lumia 900, and Nokia to try and stay on top of the latest information. That is hugely valuable to them to be able to convert customers like that.

ChristianKing

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Patience younglings. The iPad rules the news the next 2 weeks. Once it's recieved it well deserved crown of Glory from the Apple loving blogs and press, then the Nokia/MS Marketing offensive can begin. Announcing the 900 before the iPad 3 would be a death sentence. Every ounce of new would bury those stories to never be read again.

Forget march 18th as the official release. It's not happening. They would have announced it already to rev up the marketing machine. As a lucky guy holding a pre-order, I've heard at best, those will be filled around that time as an unannounced soft launch for the blogasphere and preorder people like us that search for every bit of news we can get our hands on. Look for April to be the general official release date. Don't get to hopeful about that April Fools date. More Like a week or so after. No company is stealing apples spotlight at this point and time so once you know the iPad3's release date, it will be easier to get a feel for the Lumia 900s release date. This is chess, not checkers for Nokia in North America. They need lots of hype and clebration. Trying to get attention away from the iPad3's spotlight wont happen on Nokias best day. Wait until after the 7th, then jump 2 maybe 3 weeks after the iPad3's release date for something you can believe in. Remeber, AT&T is going to be pushing the iPad HD with LTE hype also for sales. Once that's done, we'll get our dates.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb