Are they killing the hype?

jgschwandtner

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
people like us that search for every bit of news we can get our hands on.

And have a Microsoft store nearby?

Not sure I'm agreeing with your logic. If Nokia was going to pay attention to "Apple will soon announce," "Apple is announcing," "Apple is now shipping" and that not just for iPhones but also iPads, there'll soon be a lot of dates they can't do anything. Remember, they were going to push a lot of devices this year, not just the 900.

Also, it's gone from "AT&T Exclusive" to "Exclusive for three months" to "Exclusive for at least a month" to soon launching after the rest of the world? If they're really looking to give it "Hero Phone" status, they better get it out there while it's still halfway up-to-date. What's the benefit of having the best of show for CES 2012 when you can't actually buy it until CES 2013?

thepickupbear

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
I saw AT&T tweeting with the #ATTSXSW hashtag - since the festival starts this weekend (after the iPad 3 announcement) maybe AT&T will use the media festival as a jumping off point for the hype and will get us some more concrete information then.

I imagine if they had their teams going around with 900s, some of the musicians, execs and media gurus would be pretty impressed...

ChristianKing

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
And have a Microsoft store nearby?

Not sure I'm agreeing with your logic. If Nokia was going to pay attention to "Apple will soon announce," "Apple is announcing," "Apple is now shipping" and that not just for iPhones but also iPads, there'll soon be a lot of dates they can't do anything. Remember, they were going to push a lot of devices this year, not just the 900.

Also, it's gone from "AT&T Exclusive" to "Exclusive for three months" to "Exclusive for at least a month" to soon launching after the rest of the world? If they're really looking to give it "Hero Phone" status, they better get it out there while it's still halfway up-to-date. What's the benefit of having the best of show for CES 2012 when you can't actually buy it until CES 2013?

Windows phone doesn't hold a candle attention wise to the iPad. We love windows phone but we must be realistic. When AT&T puts their marketing plans in place the iPhone and iPad come first. The 900 is a cool device, but remember Nokia doesn't really exist in north America right now with any device people care about outside of the 710. To change that, you need a spotlight and you won't get it trying to say look at me when all the iPad 3 lovers are writing the same article 10 times how it's the tablet Moses really needed.

The 900 must be a hit for Nokia like the 710 Has been. To do that they have to get a lot of love from those same very vocal apple lovers that blog all day. To do that, you let them have their apple love fest. Once that's done, you redefine cool with 13 to 25 year old gang with commercial after commercial of trendy music, colors and celebrity drop ins. You have to out apple, Apple. You can't do that when their announcing magic. Let the smoke and mirrors blow over over

kenosando#AC

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
1) Who is they? If we're talking about Nokia, no. They are not "killing" the hype. There is no difference in knowing the iPad 3 or iPhone 5 is being announced next week, next month, or next winter, after seeing a millions prototypes and parts and having to wait. It hasn't been two months since they unveiled it, and it was a prototype at an expo that consisted of many other electronics companies, so Nokia had to work to get something to show for CES on the CES calendar, and the same goes for MWC. If Nokia scheduled their own event in this quarter, yes, we'd likely know something definite. That is why Apple doesn't attend CES or MWC because they work on their own schedule.

2) If it is AT&T we're talking about, it is somewhat likely they could be dragging their feet. Nokia and AT&T have had nearly no relationship on subsidized phones or devices in the past, save for a few older Symbian phones and feature phones. AT&T hasn't carried a Nokia smartphone since the Nokia Surge, which was from 2009. If they are ready and willing to get the Lumia 900 launched, they don't appear to be so. Nothing on their website has anything, while Nokia has the full details of the device, and a sign-up to let you know when its available. I guarantee if the Lumia 900 was announced at CES as an unlocked phone first, and then later announced coming to AT&T, we'd already be seeing it. The Lumia 800 starting shipping live at the Nokia World 2011 keynote by Elop, because it started out as an unlocked device. Nokia has never been thrilled working with US carriers, because they're different than any other carrier in the world, so I can imagine Nokia is really anxious to get this ship moving, but no one can kill the hype, unless you really weren't that interested anyways or just very impatient.

Drivingrain

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
1) but no one can kill the hype, unless you really weren't that interested anyways or just very impatient.

I like every part of your answer except for this last line. Dont write off the consumer like that. All three companies have sat back gingerly and permitted a March 18 expectation to be set in the market. The consumer has every right to walk if NOK/MSFT/ATT fails to meet those expectations.

grossitch

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
1) Who is they? If we're talking about Nokia, no. They are not "killing" the hype. There is no difference in knowing the iPad 3 or iPhone 5 is being announced next week, next month, or next winter, after seeing a millions prototypes and parts and having to wait. It hasn't been two months since they unveiled it, and it was a prototype at an expo that consisted of many other electronics companies, so Nokia had to work to get something to show for CES on the CES calendar, and the same goes for MWC. If Nokia scheduled their own event in this quarter, yes, we'd likely know something definite. That is why Apple doesn't attend CES or MWC because they work on their own schedule.

2) If it is AT&T we're talking about, it is somewhat likely they could be dragging their feet. Nokia and AT&T have had nearly no relationship on subsidized phones or devices in the past, save for a few older Symbian phones and feature phones. AT&T hasn't carried a Nokia smartphone since the Nokia Surge, which was from 2009. If they are ready and willing to get the Lumia 900 launched, they don't appear to be so. Nothing on their website has anything, while Nokia has the full details of the device, and a sign-up to let you know when its available. I guarantee if the Lumia 900 was announced at CES as an unlocked phone first, and then later announced coming to AT&T, we'd already be seeing it. The Lumia 800 starting shipping live at the Nokia World 2011 keynote by Elop, because it started out as an unlocked device. Nokia has never been thrilled working with US carriers, because they're different than any other carrier in the world, so I can imagine Nokia is really anxious to get this ship moving, but no one can kill the hype, unless you really weren't that interested anyways or just very impatient.

Great post. I'm sure AT&T is the hold up. The United States carrier system causes all sorts of issues. There might be some last minute technical testing/debugging happening, but my gut tells me the big hold up is the marketing schedule and it clashing with other devices. Right now it's the Galaxy Note's turn, then iPad 3 will get a bunch of press, and then finally the Lumia 900 will get it's turn before the Galaxy S3 is released in May.

jgschwandtner

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
"It's AT&T's fault." Even if AT&T is the big evil one who is holding everything up, that wouldn't keep Nokia from communicating. They may not be able to give the final release date or price, but they could at least provide something so there's not only a deafening silence. I don't recall that there's been anything from Nokia since CES regarding the U.S. launch of the 900.

Alteran195

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
"It's AT&T's fault." Even if AT&T is the big evil one who is holding everything up, that wouldn't keep Nokia from communicating. They may not be able to give the final release date or price, but they could at least provide something so there's not only a deafening silence. I don't recall that there's been anything from Nokia since CES regarding the U.S. launch of the 900.

There has been absolutely nothing about the US launch since they announced it.

I also find it hard to believe that they were that far from a production model at CES, given how solid everything on the phone looked. Its really not THAT different from the 800 spec wise, all it has is the front camera, LTE, and a bigger screen... Also, given the fact that there are now april release times for other countries, they cant wait to long for this "US AT&T exclusive phone" or it will only be exclusive for what? A couple weeks?

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
There has been absolutely nothing about the US launch since they announced it.

I also find it hard to believe that they were that far from a production model at CES, given how solid everything on the phone looked. Its really not THAT different from the 800 spec wise, all it has is the front camera, LTE, and a bigger screen... Also, given the fact that there are now april release times for other countries, they cant wait to long for this "US AT&T exclusive phone" or it will only be exclusive for what? A couple weeks?

It just went through the FCC review process last week so its darn close to release I would say. SXSW would be a nice jump off ! I was hoping it would be on the shelf on March 18 but April 1 would be the next likely date if not the 18th. The Note is really big they have one at Sams for 278.88 w contract!

Alteran195

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
US At&t's Nokia Lumia 900 available on Sunday April 8th ~ Nokia For Us

I dunno the website so not sure if its reliable? BTW, NOK stock has tanked since start of MWC, sucks!

It just went through the FCC review process last week so its darn close to release I would say. SXSW would be a nice jump off ! I was hoping it would be on the shelf on March 18 but April 1 would be the next likely date if not the 18th. The Note is really big they have one at Sams for 278.88 w contract!

One can only hope that we'll hear something soon... And the note is just to damn big... Barely can call it a phone. I also find it funny that they advertise the stylus as a selling point.

grossitch

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site

I'm surprised, but happy to see this! Below is a link to the windows phone site, which now has the Titan II and the 900 as coming soon. How is the Titan II supposed to get 11 hours battery life compared to the 900's 7? Both have LTE, but the TII has a bigger screen and a smaller battery. Maybe Nokia is underestimating the battery life?

I guess they could still release the phone on the 18th and just starting the real marketing blitz a week or two later?

Smartphone | Compare Windows 7 Phones | Windows Mobile Phones | Windows Phone 7

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Once again, this large circle of pseudo professional tech news websites has created a monster. A few posts above proves the point. Drivingrain posts a link to a new story, and then validates it with another link, which is the same story being recycled.

Say it over and over enough, and it becomes fact.

Drivingrain

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Once again, this large circle of pseudo professional tech news websites has created a monster. A few posts above proves the point. Drivingrain posts a link to a new story, and then validates it with another link, which is the same story being recycled.

Say it over and over enough, and it becomes fact.

Agree. That's why I dont understand why NOK or ATT wouldnt say something. Instead, NOK/ATT sits back and lets others create and nurture the "monster".

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077