Are they killing the hype?

kenosando#AC

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I like every part of your answer except for this last line. Dont write off the consumer like that. All three companies have sat back gingerly and permitted a March 18 expectation to be set in the market. The consumer has every right to walk if NOK/MSFT/ATT fails to meet those expectations.

I agree, I may have been reaching with that comment. I think unless you have already found something you really want (iOS, Android) or even another WP, I don't think the people who are set on buying this will be detracted. But, I know that audience is few, and they really need to catch the eyes of those passing by and then lure them in to a purchase, not head-scratching and vague answers (I am talking to you, AT&T stores!)

thepickupbear

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Beyond AT&T and Nokia, there's a third party here that has not only taken my money, but stayed mum too...Where is the Microsoft Store in all of this? We know they can get phones early, we know they can negotiate special deals....will they be able to honor the 18th when AT&T can't? I have a feeling the weekend of the 18th that AT&T is gonna have other things on its mind....

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
This thread cracks me up...and I quote, "will they honor the 18th when AT&T can't?"

What are you talking about? Honor what, the rumors? The internet is filled with shabby reporting and speculation repeated so many times that it becomes fact. Show me one place that AT&T, Nokia, or Microsoft gave the date "March 18th." And anyone who thinks it's their responsibility to respond to every rumor is wrong. It's our responsibility as intelligent human beings to understand the difference between rumor and fact. Of course, it's not always that easy. Like the Tommy Lee Jones said in Men in Black, "A person is smart; people are dumb, panicky animals." (maybe someone else said that too, who knows...)
Yes, it would be nice if we were given a firm release date, but that didn't happen. Since we don't have a firm release date we can either:
1. grasp whatever straws we have, and get mad when rumors don't become fact
2. patiently wait for the release, and if it's March 18, be pleasantly surprised

In regards to Apple, you don't think there's a reason they are the best in many people's eyes? It certainly didn't happen by accident.

Drivingrain

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Show me one place that AT&T, Nokia, or Microsoft gave the date "March 18th." And anyone who thinks it's their responsibility to respond to every rumor is wrong. It's our responsibility as intelligent human beings to understand the difference between rumor and fact.

If there turns out to be negative consequnces to this for NOK or ATT or MSFT...then your point of view would not fly with any of the company's management and it would especially not fly with their respective BODs (esp NOK). They've sat back and gingerly let others set a critical expectation about their product. If the launch date is March 18, then no harm at all and it's a non-issue; that much we agree on.

If not and they've known the release date has been in question...then it's very bad business. I can see the Board meeting now where the MD reacts and uses your defense, "Oh, but I didnt set the expectation, these internet rumors did". That quote, which is essentially the defense you've used, is sufficient to get any executive with a PR budget of more than $1 fired.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunately you are right in many respects, the world is filled with overreacting consumers who seem to make the most noise.

fogel35

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
If there turns out to be negative consequnces to this for NOK or ATT or MSFT...then your point of view would not fly with any of the company's management and it would especially not fly with their respective BODs (esp NOK). They've sat back and gingerly let others set a critical expectation about their product. If the launch date is March 18, then no harm at all and it's a non-issue; that much we agree on.

If not and they've known the release date has been in question...then it's very bad business. I can see the Board meeting now where the MD reacts and uses your defense, "Oh, but I didnt set the expectation, these internet rumors did". That quote, which is essentially the defense you've used, is sufficient to get any executive with a PR budget of more than $1 fired.

That second paragraph nails it. Nokia and Microsoft lost the messaging angle of the device. They lost it to the internet ether and the carriers. Clearly they felt the need to show off this device before it was truly ready. Now they lost the initiative and some of the buzz of the device to other companies. Heck they stole some of their own hype by leaking AC/DC and Prodigy.

Apple doesn't show off alpha/beta equipment and say it is coming out in the months ahead or 1st or 2nd quarter. They show the device, what it does, and when you can buy it ( which is normally in a week or two ). They strike quick while the internet is still buzzing.

I can't believe this is too hard of a template to follow:
1) Have a finished product
2) Show it off
3) have the logistics and supply chain ready
4) collect money

Am I missing anything?

SouthpawJosh

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
This thread cracks me up...and I quote, "will they honor the 18th when AT&T can't?"

What are you talking about? Honor what, the rumors? The internet is filled with shabby reporting and speculation repeated so many times that it becomes fact. Show me one place that AT&T, Nokia, or Microsoft gave the date "March 18th." And anyone who thinks it's their responsibility to respond to every rumor is wrong. It's our responsibility as intelligent human beings to understand the difference between rumor and fact. Of course, it's not always that easy. Like the Tommy Lee Jones said in Men in Black, "A person is smart; people are dumb, panicky animals." (maybe someone else said that too, who knows...)
Yes, it would be nice if we were given a firm release date, but that didn't happen. Since we don't have a firm release date we can either:
1. grasp whatever straws we have, and get mad when rumors don't become fact
2. patiently wait for the release, and if it's March 18, be pleasantly surprised

In regards to Apple, you don't think there's a reason they are the best in many people's eyes? It certainly didn't happen by accident.

Bulls-eye. Spot on with everything. No company is ever obligated to comment on rumors to either confirm or deny. Every article that ran the road map leak with March 18 did in fact mention that it was rumor until confirmed and of course dates are always subject to change until you get the confirmation.

Angkorthom

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
It don't matter all that matters is Nokia has failed us! They didn't give an expected launch date to anticipate! Whether it be April/Dec give us something!

jgschwandtner

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
Just thinking - if they're selling people iPads at the AT&T stores (assuming they are) - those aren't phones. So what keeps them from launching the Lumia 900 at the same time, and getting gobs and gobs of exposure for it in the stores when people come to pick up their iPads (though I think the majority of "New iPads" will be sold in Apple stores). It's not like everyone who wants a "New iPad" is out of the market for a Nokia Lumia 900 - especially if it retailed at $99.

kenosando#AC

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
The fact Apple holds their own announcement events helps them. Nokia has always waited until scheduled events to announce a new product (CES, MWC, Nokia World, etc.) so their announcements can't always coincide with their release schedule. If they generate enough attention with the Lumia line, the will need to start with the Apple way of announcement and immediate pre-order with availability within the next three weeks. More people will follow it, those people will write about it, more people will read what those people wrote, share what those people wrote, then more people will read about it. Right now, the release date and price is all being held up by rumors, and the masses who don't scour the Internet like most of us here do will look into rumors as much for a product they know little about.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss