Will I be asked to change to 4G LTE data plan with Lumia 900?

Chris Coyle

Jan 7, 2012
Visit site
Will I be asked to change to 4G LTE data plan for ATT with the Lumia 900? Or will I be able to use any data plan with the phone? Sounds like the qualified plan is the $40 4GB plan only. This can't be?

ChristianKing

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
You'll be asked, but if you have an existing unlimited plan, you won't be forced to leave it. If you're coming from an iPhone, they're going to change your data plan to a smartphone data plan specific to the Nokia 900, so be sure to disable iMessage and alert your friends to send you text messages going forward. Apple is in no hurry to fix their iMessage bug which will have you missing messages from iPhone users that still think you have an iPhone if you don't disable immessage before converting your data plan.

thepickupbear

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Right, essentially you'll only be forced to change if you're currently on an iphone dataplan. AT&T has consolidated the non-iphone data plans, though I'm sure they probably will talk you out of an unlimited if you somehow currently have a non-iphone unlimited plan.

VernonEL

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Kind of...

Will I be asked to change to 4G LTE data plan for ATT with the Lumia 900? Or will I be able to use any data plan with the phone? Sounds like the qualified plan is the $40 4GB plan only. This can't be?

Luckily, no. The above is correct, you will not have to change from your existing price and data allocation. The retailers will need to change your plan though. They will have to re-provision your data plan to include LTE. It won't affect you though, so don't let them sucker you into a different plan.

Chris Coyle

Jan 7, 2012
Visit site
Windows phone here. Not coming from iPhone unlimited. I just want to keep my current data plan.

Sent from my Windows Phone using Board Express

JCCR90

Feb 11, 2012
Visit site
I know im hijacking this post but my question is kind related.

If you buy an unlocked Nokia 900 can you use the 10 or 15 unlimited internet plan that AT&T has for featurephones?
I was going to renew my contract since the odds of me leaving AT&T are slim but idk from my current $30 plan if i can get it unlocked I will save 15-20 dollars a month on the data plan.

Im not sure if they still let you do that, so I figured I would double check before I decide to buy an unlocked Nokia 900.

VernonEL

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Sorry.

I know im hijacking this post but my question is kind related.

If you buy an unlocked Nokia 900 can you use the 10 or 15 unlimited internet plan that AT&T has for featurephones?
I was going to renew my contract since the odds of me leaving AT&T are slim but idk from my current $30 plan if i can get it unlocked I will save 15-20 dollars a month on the data plan.

Im not sure if they still let you do that, so I figured I would double check before I decide to buy an unlocked Nokia 900.

Data packages through AT&T are provisioned for different classes of devices. Each device has a general ID that tells AT&T every hour or so what type of device it is. Data provisioning has nothing to do with the data package you select, it is basically internal. Categories include iPhone, Blackberry, Smartphone, Feature Phone..., and the corresponding type of data, such as 3G, HSPA+, or LTE. You get the picture. I'm not sure if Windows Phone and Android devices have their own category, or if they just fall under the general Smartphone category.

Anyways, you may be able to use an unlocked Lumia 900 on a Feature Phone data package, but only for an hour or so until they "bust" you. :-( Then you will be automatically enrolled in the appropriately provisioned data package. Even if you could somehow prevent your device from sharing with AT&T it's provisional ID, you would probably only have access to feature phone data speeds, although 3G might be possible, but would most definitely not be able to access H+ or LTE.

Michael-Dallas

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
The 900 takes a micro-SIM and I believe LTE requires a new SIM so at the minimum, you'll get a new SIM card.

Whether or not they will charge you more for LTE data... hmmm... probably is my guess.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
The 900 takes a micro-SIM and I believe LTE requires a new SIM so at the minimum, you'll get a new SIM card.

Whether or not they will charge you more for LTE data... hmmm... probably is my guess.

If you have an unlimited 3g data plan you will be able to get a 4gLTE unlimited data plan at the same price. If you have a smartphone 3g data plan right now you can get the same plan with 4G LTE dont knpow abow feature phone suspect you either have the 3G for 30.00 4GLTE or the lowere rate for MBs

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa